trek 1000, giant ocr3 or specialized allez

sallah

Feb 9, 2005
Hi,

I currently own a MTB, which is great, but I find it too slow for road riding, rather than start modifying bits on it, I have decided to buy a good entry level road bike. I am considering the trek 1000, specialized allez or the giant ocr3. Does anyone have any view recommendations on the bikes above.

I want the bike for some fitness based training and also to take part in a mini triathalon.

Regards

Sallah

sallah said:
Hi,

I currently own a MTB, which is great, but I find it too slow for road riding, rather than start modifying bits on it, I have decided to buy a good entry level road bike. I am considering the trek 1000, specialized allez or the giant ocr3. Does anyone have any view recommendations on the bikes above.

I want the bike for some fitness based training and also to take part in a mini triathalon.

Regards

Sallah
Get the one that fits you best.

I agree. Try them all (a nice test ride) and see which style you like the best. They are all pretty equal, decent bikes so it may come down to cosmetics for you.

I went from a Trek MTB to a Trek 1200 (same frame as the 1000) and I love it.

TKOS said:
I agree. Try them all (a nice test ride) and see which style you like the best. They are all pretty equal, decent bikes so it may come down to cosmetics for you.

I went from a Trek MTB to a Trek 1200 (same frame as the 1000) and I love it.
If possible, try push the budget to the specialized allez sport. I used to have one, and I'm confident its the best bike in its price range. Comes with carbon forks and seatpost, which is a nice touch for the price you pay.

safrorider said:
If possible, try push the budget to the specialized allez sport. I used to have one, and I'm confident its the best bike in its price range. Comes with carbon forks and seatpost, which is a nice touch for the price you pay.

I have to second that. When I got into road riding I was making the exact same comparisons and I wound up doing what safrorider suggests: pushing the budget and getting the Allez Sport. IMO, it is the best buy in the @$800 price range out there. If you really want to stay in the less-expensiv range though, I don't expect it matters too much. The components are comparable on all three and one made-in-Taiwan Aluminum frame is pretty much like another. Realistically they are all three probably made by Giant anyway as they are the largest manufacturer in the world.

In any case, all of the above will provide you with a respectable ride.

Happy hunting,

NW

Get the one that fits. I like Specialized. Giant is known for having better components when compared to others in the same price range.

I can vouch for the Specialized Allez Sport. I bought an '03 model used from a friend and it's turned out to be my favorite bike. At least I've spent the most time on it this year. 865 miles and counting. I don't have any qualms about Tiagra components either. They've proven themselves worthy for my purposes.

OCRoadie is spot on about Giant's components being a bit more for one's money. If I won a $1000 shopping spree at an LBS and didn't already have 3 freakin road bikes I'd probably get a Giant OCR1. Nice components and frame for the buckage.

I know these bikes are more expensive than the ones on your list, but we here at cyclingforums.com just love to spend other people's money! :D It's like being a politician! Besides, with entry level bikes many people tend to get "the fever". That's upgrade fever and it causes one to want to spend gobs of long green upgrading components on an unworthy frame.

Cyclist14 said:
I would and did go with a Trek and I think it is a great bike.
Just to balance thigns out, let me say that I have a Giant TCR1 and I love every bit it. Carbon forks and seatpost, sweet frame. Gotta love it.
cheers

Hi,

I was in the same boat you were in last September. I was looking at the Allez and OCR 3. However after much research and visiing different bike shops i decided to buy the R500 by Cannondale. I am very happy with my purchase, it is a great road back, and for around $900 it moves on the road.

For a first road bike I suggest a bike with triple on the front and 9 on the rear. You will beome frustrated with the wide gaps in the gear ratios of an 8 speed.

I like Felt because of the more upright frame, they fit better too. Get your local Felt dealer to measure you up, they have entry level bikes in your price range.

I went for the Flat Bar Road Bike, Felt SR81, as I am a bit older and don't have the balance skills and flexilility of you young blokes.

gclark8 said:
For a first road bike I suggest a bike with triple on the front and 9 on the rear. You will beome frustrated with the wide gaps in the gear ratios of an 8 speed.

I like Felt because of the more upright frame, they fit better too. Get your local Felt dealer to measure you up, they have entry level bikes in your price range.

I went for the Flat Bar Road Bike, Felt SR81, as I am a bit older and don't have the balance skills and flexilility of you young blokes.
Thanks for all the info,

Unfortunately my budget won't extend to anything more expensive ( i.e. Allez sport), but I've tried all 3 and felt most comforatable on the Allez and got a good deal with extra's (i.e. clipless pedals, shoes).

Regards

Sallah

sallah said:
Thanks for all the info,

Unfortunately my budget won't extend to anything more expensive ( i.e. Allez sport), but I've tried all 3 and felt most comforatable on the Allez and got a good deal with extra's (i.e. clipless pedals, shoes).

Regards

Sallah
Any bike that fits its a good choice....

Happy rides