Trek 1000 - weight & Bike make opinions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Visionset, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Visionset

    Visionset Guest

    Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
    pound will do.

    What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
    bike with as much Sora as possible.

    Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda

    The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.

    Or having said this - any other suggestions?

    --
    Mike W

    Tags:

  2. Albert

    Albert Guest

    "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
    > pound will do.
    >
    > What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
    > bike with as much Sora as possible.
    >
    > Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
    >
    > The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
    >
    > Or having said this - any other suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > Mike W
    >

    > Barracuda

    Hi Mike

    noooooo !

    for the love of god do not buy a barracuda !

    you will regret buying a barracuda. (kids bikes) and the 'top of the range' models are not good
    value when compared to the competition*

    others think they are fine but three people I know that bought a barracuda
    ( 1x road 2 x MTB ) bought other, proper, bikes soon after.

    £330 seems a bit lite for a decent, complete, bike as you'll probably need / want to spend money
    upgrading various bits and bobs almost immediately so best get as high a spec straight away, saves
    faffing about.

    try for an an 01 model (or 02 at a push) of whatever you decide on as the spec will be barely
    different but as it's 'old' you should get a *deep* discount.

    shop around, pay cash and a £500 / £600 bike can be had for £300, maybe less.

    happy hunting

    Albert

    *sorry to any barracuda owners out there :-(

  3. James G

    James G Guest

    "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
    > > pound will do.
    > >
    > > What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes,
    I'm
    > > aiming for a Sora spec bike with as much Sora as possible.
    > >
    > > Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
    > >
    > > The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill
    perfectly.

    > > Or having said this - any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike W
    > >

    > > Barracuda
    >
    > Hi Mike
    >
    > noooooo !
    >
    > for the love of god do not buy a barracuda !
    >
    > you will regret buying a barracuda. (kids bikes) and the 'top of the
    range' models
    > are not good value when compared to the competition*
    >
    > others think they are fine but three people I know that bought a barracuda
    > ( 1x road 2 x MTB ) bought other, proper, bikes soon after.
    >
    > £330 seems a bit lite for a decent, complete, bike as you'll probably need
    / want
    > to spend money upgrading various bits and bobs almost immediately so best
    get
    > as high a spec straight away, saves faffing about.
    >
    > try for an an 01 model (or 02 at a push) of whatever you decide on as the
    spec will
    > be barely different but as it's 'old' you should get a *deep* discount.
    >
    > shop around, pay cash and a £500 / £600 bike can be had for £300, maybe
    less.

    > happy hunting
    >

    > Albert
    >

    > *sorry to any barracuda owners out there :-(

    Dont buy a Saracen! I used to work at their assembly plant in Leamington, quantitiy before quality
    seemed to be their operative phrase. Theres no way I'd entrust my life to a Saracen bike.

  4. Peter Simons

    Peter Simons Guest

    VisionSet wrote:

    > Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
    > pound will do.
    >
    > What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
    > bike with as much Sora as possible.
    >
    > Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda

    also try http://www.dawescycles.com/bikes/giro300.htm

    HAve a old 500 and am pleased with it also
    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=12255

    If you do not mind zero street credibility
    http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/product.php?c.id=3&s.id=1&p.id=239

    falcon seam to have lost it. Doughty anyone would spend this much on a bike if they had anything to
    do with it http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/product.php?c.id=8&s.id=1&p.id=265

    I sure the above is nice bike bought in I guess as it does not seam to go with their range.

    Peter

  5. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    I have bought a Trek 1200 drop handlebar 2003 model second hand on ebay and am very pleased with
    it, I also have a Trek hybrid and mountain bike, I just can't fault them. The local CTC club I
    ride with seem to particulary like the 1200, I'm very pleased with it, the 1000 looks like a good
    bike as well.

    Have you tried http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/road/1000.jsp not sure if weight is mentioned.

    Cheers, John

    "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
    > pound will do.
    >
    > What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
    > bike with as much Sora as possible.
    >
    > Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
    >
    > The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
    >
    > Or having said this - any other suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > Mike W

  6. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
    > pound will do.
    >
    > What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
    > bike with as much Sora as possible.
    >
    > Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
    >
    > The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
    >
    > Or having said this - any other suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > Mike W

    I've got a 1000T ('01) model bought from Evans mail order and have done about 2000 miles on it. The
    only problems I've had are a crisped front wheel (Self inflicted!) and a puncture. Don't do
    Barracuda, as they _seem_ to be more "cheapo catalogue" bikes more than anything. Keep an eye on
    E-bay for a bit, you never know what might come along...

    Pete White

  7. Alan Oakley

    Alan Oakley Guest

    I have a Saracen Morzine. I started doing time trials last year and wanted something cheap to do the
    job. Mine has Sora 8 speed and cost 250 from ebay. As I only use it for TTs it doesn't get the kind
    of use an every day bike would, but I have had no problems so far. It's not particularly light, but
    it does the job well enough. If I can get sub 25 for a 10TT then I may treat myself to a new bike,
    but for now the limiting factor is me not the bike.

    (I will be doing a club TT tomorrow so I will see if I am getting closer to my goal!)

    Alan

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:58:19 -0000, "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
    >pound will do.
    >
    >What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
    >bike with as much Sora as possible.
    >
    >Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
    >
    >The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
    >
    >Or having said this - any other suggestions?

  8. I second the bnefit of seeking out last years model

    Recently bought a '02 Scott Expert reduced from 580 to 480, and better spec than the 03 model.

    If there are any hills near you pay extra for a triple. You can upgrade to a better twin cog when
    your legs are stronger (thats my plan anyway)

    In shopping around I got the feeling that best value for money is in the £450 to £600 range, this
    will give you a worthhile alu frame and steel forks which is cost effective to upgrade the future. .