Trek 1000 - weight & Bike make opinions

Visionset

Guest
Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
pound will do.

What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
bike with as much Sora as possible.

Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda

The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Or having said this - any other suggestions?

--
Mike W

"VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
> pound will do.
>
> What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
> bike with as much Sora as possible.
>
> Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
>
> The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
>
> Or having said this - any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Mike W
>

> Barracuda

Hi Mike

noooooo !

for the love of god do not buy a barracuda !

you will regret buying a barracuda. (kids bikes) and the 'top of the range' models are not good
value when compared to the competition*

others think they are fine but three people I know that bought a barracuda
( 1x road 2 x MTB ) bought other, proper, bikes soon after.

£330 seems a bit lite for a decent, complete, bike as you'll probably need / want to spend money
upgrading various bits and bobs almost immediately so best get as high a spec straight away, saves
faffing about.

try for an an 01 model (or 02 at a push) of whatever you decide on as the spec will be barely
different but as it's 'old' you should get a *deep* discount.

shop around, pay cash and a £500 / £600 bike can be had for £300, maybe less.

happy hunting

Albert

*sorry to any barracuda owners out there :-(

"Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
> > pound will do.
> >
> > What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes,
I'm
> > aiming for a Sora spec bike with as much Sora as possible.
> >
> > Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
> >
> > The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill
perfectly.

> > Or having said this - any other suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Mike W
> >

> > Barracuda
>
> Hi Mike
>
> noooooo !
>
> for the love of god do not buy a barracuda !
>
> you will regret buying a barracuda. (kids bikes) and the 'top of the
range' models
> are not good value when compared to the competition*
>
> others think they are fine but three people I know that bought a barracuda
> ( 1x road 2 x MTB ) bought other, proper, bikes soon after.
>
> £330 seems a bit lite for a decent, complete, bike as you'll probably need
/ want
> to spend money upgrading various bits and bobs almost immediately so best
get
> as high a spec straight away, saves faffing about.
>
> try for an an 01 model (or 02 at a push) of whatever you decide on as the
spec will
> be barely different but as it's 'old' you should get a *deep* discount.
>
> shop around, pay cash and a £500 / £600 bike can be had for £300, maybe
less.

> happy hunting
>

> Albert
>

> *sorry to any barracuda owners out there :-(

Dont buy a Saracen! I used to work at their assembly plant in Leamington, quantitiy before quality
seemed to be their operative phrase. Theres no way I'd entrust my life to a Saracen bike.

VisionSet wrote:

> Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
> pound will do.
>
> What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
> bike with as much Sora as possible.
>
> Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda

also try http://www.dawescycles.com/bikes/giro300.htm

HAve a old 500 and am pleased with it also
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=12255

If you do not mind zero street credibility
http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/product.php?c.id=3&s.id=1&p.id=239

falcon seam to have lost it. Doughty anyone would spend this much on a bike if they had anything to
do with it http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/product.php?c.id=8&s.id=1&p.id=265

I sure the above is nice bike bought in I guess as it does not seam to go with their range.

Peter

I have bought a Trek 1200 drop handlebar 2003 model second hand on ebay and am very pleased with
it, I also have a Trek hybrid and mountain bike, I just can't fault them. The local CTC club I
ride with seem to particulary like the 1200, I'm very pleased with it, the 1000 looks like a good
bike as well.

Have you tried http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/road/1000.jsp not sure if weight is mentioned.

Cheers, John

"VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
> pound will do.
>
> What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
> bike with as much Sora as possible.
>
> Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
>
> The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
>
> Or having said this - any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Mike W

"VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
> pound will do.
>
> What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
> bike with as much Sora as possible.
>
> Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
>
> The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
>
> Or having said this - any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Mike W

I've got a 1000T ('01) model bought from Evans mail order and have done about 2000 miles on it. The
only problems I've had are a crisped front wheel (Self inflicted!) and a puncture. Don't do
Barracuda, as they _seem_ to be more "cheapo catalogue" bikes more than anything. Keep an eye on
E-bay for a bit, you never know what might come along...

Pete White

I have a Saracen Morzine. I started doing time trials last year and wanted something cheap to do the
job. Mine has Sora 8 speed and cost 250 from ebay. As I only use it for TTs it doesn't get the kind
of use an every day bike would, but I have had no problems so far. It's not particularly light, but
it does the job well enough. If I can get sub 25 for a 10TT then I may treat myself to a new bike,
but for now the limiting factor is me not the bike.

(I will be doing a club TT tomorrow so I will see if I am getting closer to my goal!)

Alan

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:58:19 -0000, "VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone got this info anywhere? tried e-mailing trek uk - no response. '02 or '03 model - nearest
>pound will do.
>
>What are peoples opinions, gut feelings etc about the following makes, I'm aiming for a Sora spec
>bike with as much Sora as possible.
>
>Coppi Saracen Trek Barracuda
>
>The Coppi Gavia can be had for £330, and seems to fit the bill perfectly.
>
>Or having said this - any other suggestions?

I second the bnefit of seeking out last years model

Recently bought a '02 Scott Expert reduced from 580 to 480, and better spec than the 03 model.

If there are any hills near you pay extra for a triple. You can upgrade to a better twin cog when
your legs are stronger (thats my plan anyway)

In shopping around I got the feeling that best value for money is in the £450 to £600 range, this
will give you a worthhile alu frame and steel forks which is cost effective to upgrade the future. .