Trek 1000

Kathrin

Oct 30, 2003
Is the TREK 1000 a decent bike? I only cycle for the fun and beauty of it, and to stay in shape. Probably, I won't ever train seriously. Would the TREK 1000 be a good choice for me?

Originally posted by Kathrin
Is the TREK 1000 a decent bike? I only cycle for the fun and beauty of it, and to stay in shape. Probably, I won't ever train seriously. Would the TREK 1000 be a good choice for me?

I purchsed 2002 Trek 1000 this year. It has worked great for me. I started riding 25 to 100 miles a week for recreation and have doubled that now and it is still a good bike for me. I like to ride fast for a recreation rider but I'm not a racer and it works great for that. What really matter is getting as great fit. Buy it from a local bike shop and get the right size and I'm sure you will be happy. One thing I have had trouble with is the wheels, I broke a few spokes in the first 1500 miles, but I'm 200 pounds, a little heavy for the cheaper wheels. But the 2003 model uses different wheels sdo you shouldn't have any trouble there.

Tom

I agree, The Trek 1000 is a great bike to start out on. As Watson10 said the rear spokes are a little dicey. I broke 3 in the space of 100 miles, with a total of about 700 miles before they broke. My bike shop, Outspokin here in Augusta, traded it out for new. When I started I was at 243 lbs now down to 195 lbs so they did have a lot of weight to put up with. 2004 with Alex AT450 rims, the spokes are supposedly a little weaker than they thought.

If you even think that you are going to really like riding I would go for a 1200, you'll get a better fork and drivetrain without spending to much more than the 1000. I love my bike but I wish that I had spent a little more to start out. I'll more than make up for it come spring when I buy my next one.

[following from my wife]

Recently my husband got me back into riding. I hadn't been on a bike in about ten years, and had grown up riding mountain bikes. We went to the LBS and they set me up with a Trek 1000. This was mostly due to my height, and the length of my arms - most bikes have too long of a top tube. The Trek was the only road bike they had that fit me. Anyway, it turned out to be a very comfortable ride at a very comfortable price. It's very light weight and has a good frame. Also has fender and rack eyelets, which are good to have just for the option. Don't especially like the Sora groupset , because you have to take your hands off the drop bars to shift. Overall I'm very happy with it as a recreation/fitness bike.

[End transmission from the spousal unit]

Make sure you are ok with the shifters.Many don't like them and upgrading is expensive.