Trek 1100 for racing?

Trailgalore

Guest
I've a chance to buy a new 2002 Trek 1100 (650cc), discounted $350 to $750 from a LBS I 'm a 65 yr
old, and only interested in amateur TT's and RR's against people in my own age group (Senior
Olympics). Would this be a type bike to use for this? If not, what brand and model in this price
range be a better buy?

In article <[email protected]>, "Trailgalore"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've a chance to buy a new 2002 Trek 1100 (650cc), discounted $350 to $750 from a LBS I 'm a 65 yr
> old, and only interested in amateur TT's and RR's against people in my own age group (Senior
> Olympics). Would this be a type bike to use for this? If not, what brand and model in this price
> range be a better buy?

Just make sure the bike *really* fits you. People who would never consider buying a discounted pair
of shoes that were too small or too big often think nothing of buying a bike that's the wrong size
because it's on sale.

You can ride an 1100 for races. Would you be faster on a more expensive bike? Probably somewhat. Do
you want to pay all that extra for a little more speed? Probably not.

Just be sure it really fits. Oh, and don't let them tell you they do bike fittings and then have
them "eye you up." Go to a place that can do a "fit kit," where they actually measure you using
funky gizmos. If this bike shop doesn't do it--and if they do, it should be free with a bike
purchase--go somewhere that does before you buy and get measured. They can tell you what size you
need, then you can return with the bike to have them do the adjustments.

Oh, and finally, expect to spend a lot more than $750. You'll probably end up buying clipless pedals
($100), cycling shoes ($100), a pump ($30), bottle cages and bottles ($15), etc., etc., etc.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

"Trailgalore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've a chance to buy a new 2002 Trek 1100 (650cc), discounted $350 to $750 from a LBS I 'm a 65 yr
> old, and only interested in amateur TT's and RR's against people in my own age group (Senior
> Olympics). Would this be a type bike to use for this? If not, what brand and model in this price
> range be a better buy?

The only important thing is the fit. The 1100 is a decent bike and you can't go wrong with that.

Uh, just where do you expect to find a Master's 60+ class? Northern California is a hotbed of
activity and yet there are seldom more than two or three 60+ racers at the regionals. That sure
makes a podium position easy....

I've a chance to buy a new 2001 Trek 2000 (650cc), discounted $350 to $750 from a LBS I 'm a 65 yr
old, and only interested in amateur TT's and RR's against people in my own age group (Senior
Olympics). Would this be a type bike to use for this? If not, what brand and model in this price
range be a better buy?

news:<[email protected]>...

Quebec - http://members.tripod.com/acvq

<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've a chance to buy a new 2001 Trek 2000 (650cc), discounted $350 to $750 from a LBS I 'm a 65
> yr old, and only interested in amateur TT's and RR's against people in my own age group (Senior
> Olympics). Would this be a type bike to use for this? If not, what brand and model in this price
> range be a better buy?

See the other thread on "Trek 1100 for racing?" Same answers apply.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson