Trek 1400 for a first road bike?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Flavzz, Apr 7, 2007.

1. DamianM

DamianM New Member

This is all total crap :)
    Buy the one you like, they are both good bikes. Don't listen to this sort of crap though.

2. Flavzz

Flavzz New Member

Ok thanks for that mate, I just had a question on fittment because everywhere I go they just look at my height and say oh yeah you need a 56 or 58 etc Shouldnt they be measuring me first, and then saying what size i need? Or is that more so for refined fitment when setting up?

3. DamianM

DamianM New Member

Experienced guys will have a pretty good idea by looking at you. Then after the fitting they can swap out things like seatposts and stems, and play with bar height to get you right.

4. ~MoDCoN~

~MoDCoN~ New Member

Well... I have purchased the TREK 1400... I would give it my reccomendation... It is a 60'' frame, and is beuatiful to ride. Picked it up for 1799, which I thought was reasonable for full 105 inc. brakes. The finish is immaculate, and I haven't discovered anything else since I test rode it, despite riding as much as I have free time. The new seat takes a bit of getting used to, my butt is sore. :p

Oh one negative... I almost forgot... The big downside of the bike is that it encourages you to sprint and put your all into it for a nice adrenaline rush... Makes me take corners several times faster than I would have thought possible... And makes me lose focus at uni cos I'm thinking about it. So if these outweigh the positives... Be careful!!!

MoD

5. Flavzz

Flavzz New Member

Nice one mate. I have a feeling it wont be long before i put one of these bad boys on lay by. I have been riding a friends mountain bike lots lately to get my cycling legs back from when i was a 7 year old hehe... I forgot how much fun cycling is, just to get into a nice rhythm and spin the legs.

Did you get the black and blue discovery colour or the all blue??

6. flipper

flipper New Member

I've never met anyone that could ride on one of those crap Bontrager saddles without hating it.
    I replaced mine after one race... way too soft, hurt like hell.

7. ~MoDCoN~

~MoDCoN~ New Member

team discovery... was the only option, i think it looks quite nice!

hmm, so a harder one should make it more bearable? cos my butt is v sore... :( it and the wheels were on my list of to-do... now have cyclocomputer and lights....

cheers

8. Flavzz

Flavzz New Member

Whats the deal with a softer saddle hurting more than a harder one. I have noticed that a lot of the high end saddles have pretty much no cushioning. Sorry for the noob question..

9. Dan86

Dan86 New Member

Yep, I just bought a 1400 on thursday, my arse is a bit sore too [​IMG]. I rate the bike though, its my first road bike, and the difference between that and my xc bike is amazing.

Happy riding,

Daniel

10. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

The more padding there is, the more likely the padding will get squashed up into a ridge and dig into places you don't want things digging in to :O

11. Flavzz

Flavzz New Member

Why are the bontrager saddles so bad? Is it worth changing it when I purchase the bike?

12. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

Maybe they were designed by someone who likes getting major wedgies :p

13. Flavzz

Flavzz New Member

Maybe so..

Do you know of a good saddle that would replace this one?

14. flipper

flipper New Member

No. Everyone's different. You might find it comfortable but you'll never know if you don't try it.

15. Flavzz

Flavzz New Member

yeah i'll definately try it before i change it, just wondered what saddles people have and like??

16. flipper

flipper New Member

People have and like as many different saddles as there are different arses. No-one can say one will be more comfortable for you without you trying it.

17. Flavzz

Flavzz New Member

ok cool, thanks for that. I really hope that the bontrager one suits my ass because my ass will be broke once i spend nearly 2 grand on this sucker..