trek 1400

dave cantwell

Guest
I have been looking to buy a trek1400, any comments, also any suggestions
around about the £1000 mark

many thanks

"dave cantwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been looking to buy a trek1400, any comments, also any suggestions
> around about the £1000 mark
>
> many thanks

Funny you should ask that as I have spent the week researching my next
purchase, as I wanted a 'real' road bike and the whole process prompted me
to really question what I wanted.

Anyway, to answer your question I looked at the Trek 1400 and 1500 along
with the Specialized Allez range and also Giant TCR. After riding all of
them I found the Treks to certainly be well spec'd machines and the frames
are great - all round a nice bike to ride. However I ended up going for the
Specialized Allez Comp which was more expensive than I wanted but just 'felt
right' over the Treks, which I found a bit harsh and 'narrow' for me - the
Allez compact frame seemed to fit me better. I'd stress that it is really
about personal choice and the deal you get but the others are worth a look -
the Giant is a real nice frame.

As far as the 1400 is concerned it really is a nice bike and well spec'd
with 105 kit which works well and is serviceable. However an extra 200 quid
will get you the 1500 which is really worth the extra IMHO, if you are dead
set on a Trek bike as it has full Ultegra. At the end of the day there are
lots of nice bikes within that price range - just try them all and go for
the one you feel most comfortable on. That, along with looks, is what
clinched the Specialized for me today.

Good luck and happy cycling.

Cheers

In news:XV%[email protected],
Mike Causer <[email protected]> typed:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:02:27 +0000, dave cantwell wrote:
>
>> I have been looking to buy a trek1400, any comments, also any
>> suggestions around about the £1000 mark

> If I had a thousand quid to spend, that s/h Speedy would be on its
> way to East Cambs!

Not if I had a thousand quid to spend first!

To the original poster, it seems that Trek 1400s are only worth $22.95, so
you might want to look elsewhere: http://www.snowpeak.com/Gear/scs009.html
:)

OTOH if you were talking about bikes, it looks lovely and I'm sure you'll
get a great road bike for the price, but I couldn't advise on specifics.
Worth a look at the usual suspects (Cannondale, Specialized, Giant) or maybe
something a bit more unusual (custom built, Orion, Thorn, maybe dirt cheap
Ti, cheap recumbent) depending on what you want it for. Whatever happens,
you'll get something nice, so don't worry too much.

Ambrose

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:02:27 +0000, dave cantwell wrote:

> I have been looking to buy a trek1400, any comments, also any suggestions
> around about the £1000 mark

If I had a thousand quid to spend, that s/h Speedy would be on its way to
East Cambs!

Mike