Trek 1500 and Bontrager wheels/tires

Rominger

Nov 11, 2003
I would like some help on my decision. I am planning to buy a Trek 1500 (full Ultrega) and I was wondering about the Bontrager wheels/tires that comes with the bike. This is my first road bike (actually my own first bike since I rode my father´s for a lot of time) and I plan to ride, at most 100 miles/week for a start (if I have time, I can start doing longer rides, but it is not my concern right now). I live in Rio de Janeiro, which has a terrible asphalt condition, even in the bike lanes, and I don´t have much luck with tires. Maybe because I am riding a 56cm KHS, but I don´t see many people having as much problems as I do.

I am a 6'1" (1,87m), 180 pound (80kg). I am writting this because people say heavier people have problems with that wheel. Does it worth or do I need to change the wheel/tire? If yes, what model can be used that has the same cost?

Originally posted by Rominger
I would like some help on my decision. I am planning to buy a Trek 1500 (full Ultrega) and I was wondering about the Bontrager wheels/tires that comes with the bike. This is my first road bike (actually my own first bike since I rode my father´s for a lot of time) and I plan to ride, at most 100 miles/week for a start (if I have time, I can start doing longer rides, but it is not my concern right now). I live in Rio de Janeiro, which has a terrible asphalt condition, even in the bike lanes, and I don´t have much luck with tires. Maybe because I am riding a 56cm KHS, but I don´t see many people having as much problems as I do.

I am a 6'1" (1,87m), 180 pound (80kg). I am writting this because people say heavier people have problems with that wheel. Does it worth or do I need to change the wheel/tire? If yes, what model can be used that has the same cost?

I am 6'2" and weigh 179lb and ride a Bontrager Race X-Lite wheel and tire for training on my Orbea. I love this wheel and have had no issue's with it at all. Don't worry about that wheel go ride and have fun!

Don't worry about the wheels - they're good stiff wheels. I have a friend who weighs about the same as you and uses them on his cyclo-cross bike with no problems. I ride the Race-X-Lite Aero wheels and weigh about 185 - no problems.

As for the tires. The best thing you can do is make sure they're inflated to the correct pressure before every ride. The most common cause of flats on road bikes is actually pinch flats from under-inflation. 110-120 pounds of pressure will be great for a rider of your weight. I ride at 110 most of the time - always adjusting for temerature. If it's hot out, the air in your tires will expand, increasing pressure. Cold? The air will contract - decreasing pressure. On a cold night ride, over-inflate (120 lbs.) so that when you get outside you'll be somewhere around 100 to 110 lbs.

Originally posted by PSR
The most common cause of flats on road bikes is actually pinch flats from under-inflation.
That does not fly.Cannot remember the last pinch flat I had, but get plenty of others from glass and thorns. Double flatted the other day and the front had 2 and the back had 5 thorns inbedded in the tire. If it's not thorns, it's the broken glass the imbeciles toss in the streets. No lack of other road trash to cause grief too.

Have you tried continental gatorskins? they are meant to be a pretty tough training tyre

Originally posted by Duckwah
Have you tried continental gatorskins? they are meant to be a pretty tough training tyre

I rode some continental sport 1000 tires but last month I was training and I hit some small piece of rock or glass and there was a big hole (0,5 cm) at the tire (not to mention the hole on the tube). Pehaps is the pressure since I usually inflate up to 100 psi. I think it will be the case of inflating more, but still the streets and bike lanes here are not good for cyclists.