Trek 1500 brakes are a stretch

Karo

Mar 12, 2007
Hi, I posted this under 'Bike Buying Advice', but it seems this might be a better place:

I have recently decided to get into riding, as a lifestyle change and because the weather is perfect for it in the Bay area now. I came across the Trek 1500 yesterday and gave it a test ride after getting not being very impressed by the hybrids. These hills are steep and the hybrid was a struggle!

Overall, the Trek 1500 was a joy to ride in the short time I rode it around. Still adjusting to the gears, but I guess that's trial and error and I'll get it down soon enough. The LBS has been very helpful, though I was not given a proper fitting, but they asked for my height (I'm 5'8") and positioned the seat to where my knee was slightly bent while the pedal was at it's lowest point. Is this sufficient fitting? What about the upper body?

That's where my biggest concern comes in: the brakes are a bit of a stretch for my fingers. My arms are fine, atleast I think, but I have nothing to compare to so I am going by comfort. It could also be due to the brakes being no name, which I'd like to get swapped out for Ultegra?

So I'm wanting to know from any of you women that might have this issue as well, and possibly with the Trek 1500? I can still brake by stretching my fingers outward, but the area between m thumb and forefinger becomes sore, so I should probably invest in some gloves.

By the way, I tried out the Trek 1500 WSD, but I did not like the handle bars as much and didn't notice a difference in how my body was positioned.

Will pulling the seat forward even more, solve this? What about shims being placed on the levers?

Thanks for reading, I do appreciate any advice I can get on this. I plan on going back this coming weekend as they are having a sale. These next 5 days are going to go by too slow! :rolleyes: