TREk 1500 - experience

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by asafd67, Jul 23, 2003.

1. asafd67

asafd67 New Member

:) Hello everyone!!
    Does any one have any experience with the Trek 1500??
    i'm looking forward for purchasing them, but before i do that, i need some of your knowladge.
    thank you !
    Asaf

Tags:

2. rjckirby

rjckirby New Member

I've just bought one (well, about 3 weeks ago). I'm not an expert so can't give you detailed comparisons between the Trek and other bikes.

However, it's a lovely bike - I test rode this and the Trek 1200. Both have carbon forks, but the 1500 has a much better chainset and a more responsive feel when riding.

Have a think about the gearing - as standard it comes with a double chain-ring, so if you're doing some serious hill riding (and are unfit like me :) ) you might want to look at changing this to a triple.

3. asafd67

asafd67 New Member

;)

;) hello rjckirby,
    thanks for your reply!!
    what about the frame??- dont you worry about the bike made in Taiwan??- they are not made in USA...what about the wheels??
    let me know about this and about the feeling in riding them.
    thanks again .
    Asaf.

4. countycylesmn

countycylesmn New Member

I just thought i'd say a few things about this bike:

1) the 1500 doesn't come with a two ring crankset standard. It comes with the option of either a two or three ring set. So you should be able to get the style you like.

2) The frame isn't made in taiwan. The trek website clearly says that all of their aluminium frames are handmade in Wisconsin. I can't say anything for the rest of the bike, but the frame is made in the U.S.A.

3) This bike is an exceptional deal for the price. Trek has made a bike with quality where you need it and a great price overall. I work in a bike shop and i just ordered on and am counting the days till it arrives.

Best of luck with your bike and happy riding!

5. Mampara

Mampara New Member

Sorry countycylesmn, all the Trek frames lower then 2300 are made in Taiwan.

asafd67, You don't need to worry about the qualty of the justbecause it comes from Taiwan. All Giants, including Jan Ulrich's comes from there. Allot of the Speciallized are also made the there. Even some Gary Fisher MTBs come from Taiwan.

6. Daremo

Daremo New Member

For the uninitiated ............

Most of the world's bikes that are made in Taiwan used to be made in the Giant factory .... including Trek's. Giant is the world's largest bike builder, and the other companies license out Giant's space and manpower to build bikes for them.

Your VCR and DVD players are made in China or Japan, do you ask the same question when you buy them???????

Why should a bike frame that is basically made by a machine in Taiwan be any different than one that is made by a machine in the US or Italy????

Even if they are all hand-welded. Would you rather have some 18 year old kid in the Wisconson factory build it, or some 40 year old who has been welding bikes for 20 years in Taiwan?