TREk 1500 - experience

asafd67

Jul 23, 2003
I'm looking forward for purchasing the Trek 1500.
Does anybody have any experience with them??
any recomandations for a beginner rider??
thanx Asaf.

Originally posted by asafd67
thanx Asaf.

If you're tallking about the 2004 Trek 1500, I think that is a new model this year. Or at least, they didn't have one in 2003. But, having ridden Trek bikes for a while, they are excellent bikes. The only thing I would do to the 1500 is upgrade the front derailleur to a 105 in place of the stock Tiagra. Also, because I am rather - ahem - large, I would upgrade the wheelset after a year or so.

For a beginning rider, to a lot of research. You can't base your selection on a test ride around the parking lot. What may feel great there might absolutely suck 3 months later. Find two or three good LBS's and see if you get the same advice at all three. If you don't see what you want, have them order it for you. And most important, be professionally fitted. Most places should fit you for free if you buy from them.

Originally posted by Babbar
If you're tallking about the 2004 Trek 1500, I think that is a new model this year. Or at least, they didn't have one in 2003. But, having ridden Trek bikes for a while, they are excellent bikes. The only thing I would do to the 1500 is upgrade the front derailleur to a 105 in place of the stock Tiagra. Also, because I am rather - ahem - large, I would upgrade the wheelset after a year or so.

For a beginning rider, to a lot of research. You can't base your selection on a test ride around the parking lot. What may feel great there might absolutely suck 3 months later. Find two or three good LBS's and see if you get the same advice at all three. If you don't see what you want, have them order it for you. And most important, be professionally fitted. Most places should fit you for free if you buy from them.
:) :) thank you very much for your serious answer.
do you ride the Trek 1500?? model 2003??
my only broblem with them that they are made in Taiwan ( the frame) and not in the USA. that the reason they are cheaper then the other models (1200 1000 2200 &2300). what do you say about that??
thanx

thank you very much for your serious answer.
do you ride the Trek 1500?? model 2003??
my only broblem with them that they are made in Taiwan ( the frame) and not in the USA. that the reason they are cheaper then the other models (1200 1000 2200 &2300). what do you say about that??
thanx

Looks like the 1500 is a nice bike, I have a 2002 Trek 2200 and I love it so I would say Trek can make an excellent bike, the 1500 looks pretty sweet. How do you know the frame is made in Taiwan ? it's an Alpha SL Aluminum frame and I thought they were welded in the USA ? There's no reason to beleive there would be any problem with being made in Taiwan however or Trek would drop them like a hot rock if quality suffered.

Originally posted by Snarl
Looks like the 1500 is a nice bike, I have a 2002 Trek 2200 and I love it so I would say Trek can make an excellent bike, the 1500 looks pretty sweet. How do you know the frame is made in Taiwan ? it's an Alpha SL Aluminum frame and I thought they were welded in the USA ? There's no reason to beleive there would be any problem with being made in Taiwan however or Trek would drop them like a hot rock if quality suffered.
:) :) Hello sngle!!
thank you for your respond - i apreciate it.
I'm from Israel' went to a Trek bike store, and it was writen on the bike "made in Taiwan".they also cost less than the other bike - especially with ultegra and sl frame.
I wanted to know if anyone had any chance ridding them...
thanx.

I'm new to cycling. My husband and I got two 2003 1500 three weeks ago. We both love them. I was going to get the cheaper 1000 but I'm glad it wasn't on stock in my size. I changed the saddle on mine for a more comfortable one.
I've never been an athletic person in my 34 years. My previous bike was a cheap Sears bike on wich I lost interest in riding very fast. I'm totally hooked with this bike. Riding it is like flying. I've been able to keep up with my husband and friends on 20 + mile rides.
We both appreciate the full ultegra components specially the STI shifters, and the lightness of the frame. We have no complaints.
I noticed on the Trek website the 2004 1500 don't have all Ultegra componets. Get a 2003!

Good luck!! Let me know if I can answer anything more specific.

I recently purchased the 1500 over here - I believe it was the 2003 model. As I am a little bigger than the average bear (115kg, 6ft 4in, but loosing!!) I needed a better wheelset. I had the shop make me up a Mavic CXP33 wheelset on ultegra hubs, and haven't had a problem with it.

It is significantly sweeter than my old mountain bike that I was trying to thrash around the place, and my biggest problem at the moment is trying to restrain myself with my current riding group.

My only piece of advice is to shop around, with a good idea on what exactly you want the bike to do for you, and what you want to do on the bike (requires some thought). You don't need to spend thousands if all you are looking for is a base level commuter type machine.

That said, I hope you have success in your purchase, let us know how you get along.

Colonel

Originally posted by BlareApsan
I'm new to cycling. My husband and I got two 2003 1500 three weeks ago. We both love them. I was going to get the cheaper 1000 but I'm glad it wasn't on stock in my size. I changed the saddle on mine for a more comfortable one.
I've never been an athletic person in my 34 years. My previous bike was a cheap Sears bike on wich I lost interest in riding very fast. I'm totally hooked with this bike. Riding it is like flying. I've been able to keep up with my husband and friends on 20 + mile rides.
We both appreciate the full ultegra components specially the STI shifters, and the lightness of the frame. We have no complaints.
I noticed on the Trek website the 2004 1500 don't have all Ultegra componets. Get a 2003!

Good luck!! Let me know if I can answer anything more specific.
:) :) hello BlareApsan!!
well-its sound preety nice this bike - the Trek 1500.
how much did you pay for a pair of bike?
as i asked before- what about the bike being made in Taiwan?
the 1500 are'nt "usa made".
let me know if you enjoy them.
i'm from Israel - and going to buy them here in Israel.
thank you very much
Asaf

Originally posted by Colonel
I recently purchased the 1500 over here - I believe it was the 2003 model. As I am a little bigger than the average bear (115kg, 6ft 4in, but loosing!!) I needed a better wheelset. I had the shop make me up a Mavic CXP33 wheelset on ultegra hubs, and haven't had a problem with it.

It is significantly sweeter than my old mountain bike that I was trying to thrash around the place, and my biggest problem at the moment is trying to restrain myself with my current riding group.

My only piece of advice is to shop around, with a good idea on what exactly you want the bike to do for you, and what you want to do on the bike (requires some thought). You don't need to spend thousands if all you are looking for is a base level commuter type machine.

That said, I hope you have success in your purchase, let us know how you get along.

Colonel
:) :)

:) :) hello Colonel ,
my question to you is about the frame (SL) being made in Taiwan.
does it make any difference???
let me know - before I buy them.
thank you very much
Asaf

We payed about $1,200 for each bike. Yea, ouch! But I think they're worth it.
We did notice about where the frame was made. I would have prefered a frame made in the USA, but I guess I've gotten used to most of everything made in Taiwan.
It feels pretty solid to me. I love my bike so much I look forward to riding it every day even if it is for about an hour.
Good luck with your decision.

We did notice about where the frame was made. I would have prefered a frame made in the USA, but I guess I've gotten used to most of everything made in Taiwan.
It feels pretty solid to me. I love my bike so much I look forward to riding it every day even if it is for about an hour.
:) :) hello again BlareApsan !!
thanks again for your respond!!
i apreciate it!!
I think I'll go for it and let you know!!
good luck.
Asaf

I heard that Taiwanese frames are of the best Asian-made frames around. Taiwan don't put their name on just anything, Trek, Schwinn, etc. Apparently their manufacturing processes are superior to other Asian countries. I was told this by a purchaser for a number of different bike shops in Australia.

Originally posted by Evo
I heard that Taiwanese frames are of the best Asian-made frames around. Taiwan don't put their name on just anything, Trek, Schwinn, etc. Apparently their manufacturing processes are superior to other Asian countries. I was told this by a purchaser for a number of different bike shops in Australia.
:) :) Hello Evo !!
thanks alot!!
I think I'll go for it!!
thank you!
asaf

thanx Asaf.

Just want to say I just purchased the 2004 Trek 1500 and I love it!! Best ride I've ever had! I do agree with the front derailur though...it's pretty chinsy.

Weez

Originally posted by Weezerbot
Just want to say I just purchased the 2004 Trek 1500 and I love it!! Best ride I've ever had! I do agree with the front derailur though...it's pretty chinsy.

Weez
Hello weez!!:) :)
thanks for your reply!!!
what is chinsy???
do you feel any difference between the 1500-2004 and the 1500 - 2003?? i read in the Trek web that the 2004 is not full ultegra like the 2003 bike...
are you a beginner??
and at last, how much they coast you and where??
thank you Asaf.

Hello weez!!:) :)
thanks for your reply!!!
what is chinsy???
do you feel any difference between the 1500-2004 and the 1500 - 2003?? i read in the Trek web that the 2004 is not full ultegra like the 2003 bike...
are you a beginner??
and at last, how much they coast you and where??
thank you Asaf.

Chinsy means cheap. And as far as I know there is no 2003 1500, it's a new model for 2004. I have been mountain biking for about a year, but have just started road biking. I have since turned my mb into a commuter bike and don't go on the mountains anymore! My bike was $900.00 at Landis in Phoenix.

Cheers,
Weez

Originally posted by Weezerbot
Chinsy means cheap. And as far as I know there is no 2003 1500, it's a new model for 2004. I have been mountain biking for about a year, but have just started road biking. I have since turned my mb into a commuter bike and don't go on the mountains anymore! My bike was $900.00 at Landis in Phoenix.

Cheers,
Weez
:) :) thank you very much
and let me know further information.
Asaf

In some international markets, there was a Trek 1500 in previous years; it was Trek's low-end aluminium road frame with Ultegra components.

Originally posted by rek
In some international markets, there was a Trek 1500 in previous years; it was Trek's low-end aluminium road frame with Ultegra components.
what about the TREK 1500 2003 model??
is that a low-end aluminium road frame too???
thanks