Trek 2000 from Specialized Sirrus?

NSM3

Nov 10, 2004
I bought the Sirrus Elite for £600 ($1100) as a re-entry to cycling for fitness purposes, as my 20 year old Dawes really was past it!!

The thing is, 1500 miles later, I am hankering for a proper "road bike" but don't want to buy something that is "out of my league".

I can justify spending around £1500 ($2800) and have been looking at the Trek 2000 triple.

Bearing in mind the bike is only for my pleasure/fitness (15 miles or 40 mins on the trainer 3 times a week and 50 miles on a Sunday maximum) and not racing etc, do any of you think it would be a good transition.

My basic question is would I be able to tell much of a difference given my limited experience and ability or would it be a waste of money. On the other hand, should I be streching the budget and reaching even higher?

Jeez, I wish this cycling game (and all the shiny toys!) wasn't so addictive.

I just bought a Trek 1000c for 540 USD. It has pretty low end components, but they also make a 1200c and I think a 1500c as well. The bikes have a compact geometry, slightly bigger tires (but rims that will fit any road bike tire), and adjustable stem, and extra brake levers where the old "suicide levers" used to be (but these actually stop the bike). I thought the levers were lame at first, but found I use them quite a bit, especially riding in traffic (I'm a commuter). It also has a slightly fatter seat.

The thing about the "c" series is that most of the parts could eventually be swapped out for more racing oriented parts to make the bike lighter and faster.

NSM3 said:
I bought the Sirrus Elite for £600 ($1100) as a re-entry to cycling for fitness purposes, as my 20 year old Dawes really was past it!!

The thing is, 1500 miles later, I am hankering for a proper "road bike" but don't want to buy something that is "out of my league".

I can justify spending around £1500 ($2800) and have been looking at the Trek 2000 triple.

Bearing in mind the bike is only for my pleasure/fitness (15 miles or 40 mins on the trainer 3 times a week and 50 miles on a Sunday maximum) and not racing etc, do any of you think it would be a good transition.

My basic question is would I be able to tell much of a difference given my limited experience and ability or would it be a waste of money. On the other hand, should I be streching the budget and reaching even higher?

MrCjolsen said:
I just bought a Trek 1000c for 540 USD. It has pretty low end components, but they also make a 1200c and I think a 1500c as well. The bikes have a compact geometry, slightly bigger tires (but rims that will fit any road bike tire), and adjustable stem, and extra brake levers where the old "suicide levers" used to be (but these actually stop the bike). I thought the levers were lame at first, but found I use them quite a bit, especially riding in traffic (I'm a commuter). It also has a slightly fatter seat.

The thing about the "c" series is that most of the parts could eventually be swapped out for more racing oriented parts to make the bike lighter and faster.
Looking at your bike, I think it is similar to mine except for the bars. I am really looking to drop from 28 to 23's on the tyres, better gearing and hopefully a bit faster. I can't get past 39mph on mine due to either the wide grip wind resistance OR my weedy legs!!!

The Trek 2000 has a standard geometry frame, so not sure if this is better or worse for your lower back etc?

NSM3 said:

Since you are so wealthy and have money burning holes in your pockets, please feel free to ship me that clunky old Sirrus Elite as I can put it to good use. :D Thank you in advance.

Doctor Morbius
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Indianapolis, IN 46224

Doctor Morbius said:
Since you are so wealthy and have money burning holes in your pockets, please feel free to ship me that clunky old Sirrus Elite as I can put it to good use. :D Thank you in advance.

Doctor Morbius
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Indianapolis, IN 46224
LOL - Love to send it but it is a UK spec - wrong colour (sorry color) and all that!

gclark8 said:
That looks like an interesting solution.

NSM3, for more of a road bike feel I would try swapping out the handlebar and stem and getting thinner tires before plunking down nearly 3 grand on a new rig just for recreational riding. There is nothing wrong with a Sirus Elite and 1500 miles is just breaking it in. Most people spend the bulk of their time on the top of the handlebars or on the hoods anyway so the Shimano R-440 shifters/brake levers should suit those needs nicely. Frankly, I'm suprised more bikes don't come with that option.

On the other hand, it's guys that spend $2800 on bikes for recreational riding that keep the industry going and allow all of that great R&D so that components, wheels and frames keep getting better every year. Then eventually all of that shiny new technology trickles down to more modestly priced bikes for the rest of us. ;)

NSM3 said:
LOL - Love to send it but it is a UK spec - wrong colour (sorry color) and all that!
In that price range you have plenty of good choices, check out and ride as many as you can. Personally I'd check out the Specialized Roubaix Comp, but that's just one pick out of many.