Trek 2000 or Giant TCR Composite 2

johnnydelva

Nov 25, 2004
Its time of again.. getting a new bike... i am trying to decide between these two bikes. any thoughts? i also had a look at the lemond chambery, which is also a replicate of the Trek 2000. Thanks in advance.

johnnydelva said:
Its time of again.. getting a new bike... i am trying to decide between these two bikes. any thoughts? i also had a look at the lemond chambery, which is also a replicate of the Trek 2000. Thanks in advance.
The Trek is standard geometry with carbon seat stays.
The Lemond is also standard geometry with carbon seat and chain stays.
Both similarly spec'd
The Giant is compact geometry carbon fibre and nicely spec'd.

All nice rides, but given the difference in frame construction and geometry, you would have to ride these to decide. Personally, I really like the Giant TCR range, so I'd lean that way. I test rode a TCR and was really impressed. I also prefer carbon to alloy for ride quality. Check the warranty as well. I think Giant and Trek are both lifetime, but there are typically lost of conditions. eg. if something happens in a race or event, the warranty can be void (not sure here).

I notice you're in Melb. Ivanhoe cycles currently have the Giant TCR composite Euro for $2799 which is an absolute steal. centaur groupset with kysrium equipes.

you might want to see if you can upgrade the wheels to kysrium elites, and that would be one mean bike for around 3k

with that said, does anyone want to comment on some reports that the TCR composites are twitchy, and even moreso, unstable at high speeds?

pase said:
I notice you're in Melb. Ivanhoe cycles currently have the Giant TCR composite Euro for $2799 which is an absolute steal. centaur groupset with kysrium equipes.

you might want to see if you can upgrade the wheels to kysrium elites, and that would be one mean bike for around 3k

with that said, does anyone want to comment on some reports that the TCR composites are twitchy, and even moreso, unstable at high speeds?
Lawrencia Cycles(Hawthorn) currently has the TCR Euro @ $2,490

Rode both and bought the Trek (actually it's a 2300 but sold here in Oz as the 2000). Very happy with it

cameron41 said:
Lawrencia Cycles(Hawthorn) currently has the TCR Euro @ $2,490
I bought the TCR Euro from Lawrencia in January for $3200 with $500 on anything else in store thrown in. Effectively $2700 for the bike. I was rapt with the price at the time. Obviously they have come down a bit since then. I found the guys at Ivanhoe gave the best service while I was looking. In the end, it just came down to price and Lawrencia did best.

I am delighted with the bike. Great ride, not twitchy at all and I feel that I am more twitchy than the bike at high speed.

Haven't ridden the Trek 2000 so can't compare, but definately give the TCR a test ride to see how it stacks up. I's be interested to hear which way you devide to go.

Although this thread has been inactive for a bit, I thought that I'd throw my two cents in.

The lemond Chambery is not a replica of the Trek 2000, despite probably being made in the same factory.

If you have a look at the geometry for both these bikes they are different in subtle ways. Lemond geometry is billed as being slacker in the seat tube (by half a degree) and longer in the effective top tube measurement than the Trek, and probably has a longer wheel base. The philosophy behind Lemond bikes is that the geometry puts you well behind the pedals allowing you to share the power between your quads, hamstrings and glutes more easily and also allows you to achieve a nice straight back for better breathing. A "fresher rider is a faster rider" is the idea. A number of posts on the net I've read have said that for people with longish bodies its the closest thing to a custom bike they could find. They also tend to have wide-ish handlebars, again for better breathing. Another thing on which I could be wrong is that the Chambery has carbon seat and chain stays and I think the Trek 2000 has only carbon seat stays (but I could well be wrong on this).

I don't have one - yet! but I'm looking for somethng like this because I've never been able to get my seat back far enough on my now very old bike. I'm not a fan of the Giants though admittedly I've not ridden one. I've heard they only give a 1 year warranty. Trek/ Lemond give you lifetime. I think the Giant geometry is designed for cheap manufacture - not comfortable and stable riding. Many of the people I see riding Giants seem to be unable to ride in a stright line. I'm not sure if this is a skill thing (as in newbie riders) or that its just not that easy to keep straight.

If anyone has bought a Lemond I'd like to hear what they think of their bike and how it feels to ride. I'm also thinking about a Lapierre alu bike (FDJeux rides these) as well, again for the geometry - slack seat tube.

Cheers!

pase said:

'04 TCR is a rock! I have hit 100kph+ on a steap hill with a sweeper at the bottom and NO PROBLEMS. Held its line perfectly. (The fact I weigh 130 odd kg may have helped it a little ;) )

kor! said:
Although this thread has been inactive for a bit, I thought that I'd throw my two cents in.

The lemond Chambery is not a replica of the Trek 2000, despite probably being made in the same factory.

If you have a look at the geometry for both these bikes they are different in subtle ways. Lemond geometry is billed as being slacker in the seat tube (by half a degree) and longer in the effective top tube measurement than the Trek, and probably has a longer wheel base. The philosophy behind Lemond bikes is that the geometry puts you well behind the pedals allowing you to share the power between your quads, hamstrings and glutes more easily and also allows you to achieve a nice straight back for better breathing. A "fresher rider is a faster rider" is the idea.
So, I am digging up an old thread but hopefully, someone will help.

I test rode a 2006 TCR1 today, which felt OK and also went to ride a Trek 1500, however, the Trek bike store told me I was all wrong for the Trek as I have long legs, yet a short body.

The stuck me on a 59cm Lemond Chambery and whilst it felt like a good posture, I am a little worried that I may be having the wool pulled over my niave eyes especially after reading the above.

It is so hard trying to understand the whole geometry and size thing for us noobs!

Any comments from people?

the Trek bike store told me I was all wrong for the Trek as I have long legs, yet a short body.
LeMond geometry is longer in the top tube than Trek so I don't know how they came up with that.

flipper said:
LeMond geometry is longer in the top tube than Trek so I don't know how they came up with that.
Gahhh!! Thanks for replying but that was not the answer I was looking for.

So chances are, if I get a LeMond, it will quite quickly become uncomfortable.

Why oh why have they done this to me ? It must be an honest mistake because it isn't as though I decided to pay more for a LeMond. They quoted my AU$2350, which is a bloody good price from what I can tell.

Oh well, I don't think I will ever find the right bike.

Cheers,
Whytey

Sorry :)
Furthermore, LeMonds are inbued with LeMond geometry––Greg LeMond geometry. This is the sort of geometry that Greg himself would appreciate––relaxed seat angle, long top tube. The bike in my size––61cm––has a 72-degree seat angle and a 60.5cm top tube. That is the top tube length most other bike companies would use in their 63cm sizes and some even in their 65cm bikes.
Link

I ride a Trek 5200 58cm ...the effective top tube is 57.2cm
A LeMond Tourmalet 57cm has an effective top tube of 57.5
*specs from their websites

Oh well, I don't think I will ever find the right bike.
Oh yes you will...

Interesting. I've been speaking to my lbs, a Giant dealer and they state for good reason. They're also all competitors in bikesport in the shop too.

According to Giant, Giant make Trek and Lemond bikes anyway, with the latest and best technology going into their own brand.

I'm long in the body/short in the leg and have been looking into a custom Scapin. Standard 54 frame has a 545mm horizontal tube whereas the Giant TCS M frame comes in at 570mm. So I'm thinking will a standard Giant do where a Scapin custom is required. Hey Scapin is better pose value than a Giant but is it really a better bike.

Hmm...

Peter