Trek 2000 - what d'ya think?

Nice bike with good components. Consider this tho: In 6 months time your hubby's probably going to want to upgrade the wheelset - additional cost ± $300-400. Add only $380 now and get the 2200 with Bontrager Select wheels AND Ultegra/105 mix. Better components AND better wheels. Can't go wrong with that.

Originally posted by Vo2
Nice bike with good components. Consider this tho: In 6 months time your hubby's probably going to want to upgrade the wheelset - additional cost ± $300-400. Add only $380 now and get the 2200 with Bontrager Select wheels AND Ultegra/105 mix. Better components AND better wheels. Can't go wrong with that.

You people are killing me! The idea is to spend LESS $$, not more!

:p

Besides, he's a hardcore mtber. It will take longer than 6 months.

we've all been there before too. I was a MTBer only once also, now I race road, cross, MTB and track. He WILL want to upgrade eventually but the thing is, 105 will work much better and longer than the tiagra stuff so it's better to invest more now rather than later.

I just got the 2000, but upgraded to the 2200 wheelset. I am more than pleased with the 105 components. Have had MTBs for a long time, but first road bike in 15 years. Upgrading wheels was only $150 or so.

I would recommend paying a little more (maybe $ 300 or $350 if you reall shop around) and getiing a 2300 with full ultegra and better Bontrager wheels. I also came from MTB and am real happy with the 2300. I also started shopping at less than the 2000 price point, but then concluded the delta is $ was more than worth it. FWIW.

I am also thinking about getting a 2000 or 2200. But I was weighing the decision with just upgrading my current bike, a lower end Giant OCR, with better components and/or wheels. Which do you think would be a better move with regard to cost and satisfaction?

I agree with those who say spend the bucks and get the Trek 2300. Within a few miles, he will he glad he did.

I just bought an '02 2000 brand new-& what everyone is saying
about wanting to upgrade the wheels is absoultely true-however i i'm still completely in love w/ the bike & since i only paid $963 after tax i think i'm still in a pretty low price range for what i got, even after i upgrade a bit

Is he looking at last years model because the store is giving him a deal on a old model? if so, the 2000 is a good bike and any end of season discount sweetens the deal.

However, if no special deal is offered take a look at the 2100 and 1500 from this year (04) The 1500 is hyped up a lot on this board and a great value at $1000. The 1500 comes standard with the Bontrager Select wheels they talked about. If you wanted to upgrade the crappy Tiagra front derailleur, it would only cost 30 bucks to get a nice ultegra one. Also, he'll also need clip'less pedals but chances are with the m515 SPD's on the 2000 model, he would have to do that anyhow if you he picked that one.