Trek 2003 5200 versus Cannondale R2000

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dario Wolfish, May 9, 2003.

  1. I am purchasing a road bicycle, and I am undecided whether to get the Trek 5200 or the Cannondale
    R2000. Both of these bikes are 2003 models with triple chaining.

    The known advantages and disadvantages and disadvantages of each model is the following:

    Trek 5200

    Advantages:
    1) Full Carbon Frame
    2) More comfortable ride
    3) Great Customer Service

    Disadvantages:
    4) This bike has the Race Lite wheels while the Cannondale has Maviv Ksyrium Wheels
    5) The Trek is Ultegra and the Cannondale has a Dura Ace rear derailer.
    6) The Trek frame is a little heavier than the Cannondale CAAD7

    Cannondale R2000

    Advantages
    7) Better wheels
    8) Better rear derailer
    9) Lighter

    Disadvantages

    10) Company filed bankruptcy. Might affect customer service?
    11) Warranty has more restrictions
    12) Frame is not carbon
    13) Ride is not as comfortable?
    14) Trek has a better reputation?

    I am in my 40s and am primarily interested in cycling long distances and being able to handle
    difficult climbing since there are many hills and mountains in the Bay Area (Woohoo) and I would
    like a bike that is best (easier) for climbing.

    I would appreciate your input about these bikes as well as your recommendations of which I should
    buy. Please either post your suggestions here or email me at [email protected]

    Please respond soon as I plan to buy the bike soon.

    Much thanks, Dario

    Tags:

  2. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >I am in my 40s and am primarily interested in cycling long distances and being able to handle
    >difficult climbing since there are many hills and mountains in the Bay Area (Woohoo) and I would
    >like a bike that is best (easier) for climbing.
    >
    >I would appreciate your input about these bikes as well as your recommendations of which I should
    >buy. Please either post your suggestions here or email me at [email protected]

    The Cannondale will beat you up obn a long ride. I'd try the Lemond Ti or hi end steel for lightness
    AND comfort.

  3. Jkpoulos7 wrote:

    > The Cannondale will beat you up obn a long ride. I'd try the Lemond Ti or hi end steel for
    > lightness AND comfort.

    The 5200 _is_ light and comfortable. <G>

    Barry

  4. D.P.G.

    D.P.G. Guest

    I have 3100 miles on my Trek 5200 (2002) with Bontrager Race light wheels and have not needed to
    even adjust spoke tension. As true as the day I got them. I had the same concern when I
    purchased the bike. I could not be happier, this is one fast comfortable bike. And it climbs
    hills like no other.

    "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am purchasing a road bicycle, and I am undecided whether to get the Trek 5200 or the Cannondale
    > R2000. Both of these bikes are 2003 models with triple chaining.
    >
    > The known advantages and disadvantages and disadvantages of each model is the following:
    >
    > Trek 5200
    >
    > Advantages:
    > 1) Full Carbon Frame
    > 2) More comfortable ride
    > 3) Great Customer Service
    >
    > Disadvantages:
    > 1) This bike has the Race Lite wheels while the Cannondale has Maviv Ksyrium Wheels
    > 2) The Trek is Ultegra and the Cannondale has a Dura Ace rear derailer.
    > 3) The Trek frame is a little heavier than the Cannondale CAAD7
    >
    > Cannondale R2000
    >
    > Advantages
    > 1) Better wheels
    > 2) Better rear derailer
    > 3) Lighter
    >
    > Disadvantages
    >
    > 1) Company filed bankruptcy. Might affect customer service?
    > 2) Warranty has more restrictions
    > 3) Frame is not carbon
    > 4) Ride is not as comfortable?
    > 5) Trek has a better reputation?
    >
    > I am in my 40s and am primarily interested in cycling long distances and being able to handle
    > difficult climbing since there are many hills and mountains in the Bay Area (Woohoo) and I would
    > like a bike that is best (easier) for climbing.
    >
    > I would appreciate your input about these bikes as well as your recommendations of which I should
    > buy. Please either post your suggestions here or email me at [email protected]
    >
    > Please respond soon as I plan to buy the bike soon.
    >
    > Much thanks, Dario

  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I am 73 and am going with a 'Gary V' built out of modern light weight steel, carbon fork, and all
    Ultegra componets for 'less' than $2000. Try this web site. http://www.gvhbikes.com/ First look at
    the "Land Shark" as its a custom made steel frame by a noted builder and its also under $2000. These
    are comfortable bikes that will perform with a triple ring. The wheels are Mavic Open Pro clincher
    rims hand built on Ultegra hubs with Wheelsmith stainless spokes. Look at his overall frame
    inventory and he can build any of them. He is 62 and takes his time to do it right.

    Tom

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am purchasing a road bicycle, and I am undecided whether to get the Trek 5200 or the Cannondale
    > R2000. Both of these bikes are 2003 models with triple chaining.
    >
    > The known advantages and disadvantages and disadvantages of each model is the following:
    >
    > Trek 5200
    >
    > Advantages:
    > 1) Full Carbon Frame
    > 2) More comfortable ride
    > 3) Great Customer Service
    >
    > Disadvantages:
    > 1) This bike has the Race Lite wheels while the Cannondale has Maviv Ksyrium Wheels
    > 2) The Trek is Ultegra and the Cannondale has a Dura Ace rear derailer.
    > 3) The Trek frame is a little heavier than the Cannondale CAAD7
    >
    > Cannondale R2000
    >
    > Advantages
    > 1) Better wheels
    > 2) Better rear derailer
    > 3) Lighter
    >
    > Disadvantages
    >
    > 1) Company filed bankruptcy. Might affect customer service?
    > 2) Warranty has more restrictions
    > 3) Frame is not carbon
    > 4) Ride is not as comfortable?
    > 5) Trek has a better reputation?
    >
    > I am in my 40s and am primarily interested in cycling long distances and being able to handle
    > difficult climbing since there are many hills and mountains in the Bay Area (Woohoo) and I would
    > like a bike that is best (easier) for climbing.
    >
    > I would appreciate your input about these bikes as well as your recommendations of which I should
    > buy. Please either post your suggestions here or email me at [email protected]
    >
    > Please respond soon as I plan to buy the bike soon.
    >
    > Much thanks, Dario

    Ride both, pick the one that fits/feels the best. You're not going to go wrong with either bike
    mentioned. Make sure that you get fit as closely as you can before going on the test ride, wear the
    same thing you're planning on riding in, and go with it.

    You can always upgrade parts after you wear out the original equipment.

    Mike

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Dario Wolfish wrote:
    > I am purchasing a road bicycle, and I am undecided whether to get the Trek 5200 or the Cannondale
    > R2000. Both of these bikes are 2003 models with triple chaining.
    >
    > The known advantages and disadvantages and disadvantages of each model is the following:
    >
    > Trek 5200
    >
    > Advantages:
    > 1) Full Carbon Frame
    > 2) More comfortable ride
    > 3) Great Customer Service
    >
    > Disadvantages:
    > 1) This bike has the Race Lite wheels while the Cannondale has Maviv Ksyrium Wheels
    > 2) The Trek is Ultegra and the Cannondale has a Dura Ace rear derailer.
    > 3) The Trek frame is a little heavier than the Cannondale CAAD7
    >
    > Cannondale R2000
    >
    > Advantages
    > 1) Better wheels
    > 2) Better rear derailer
    > 3) Lighter
    >
    > Disadvantages
    >
    > 1) Company filed bankruptcy. Might affect customer service?
    > 2) Warranty has more restrictions
    > 3) Frame is not carbon
    > 4) Ride is not as comfortable?
    > 5) Trek has a better reputation?
    >
    > I am in my 40s and am primarily interested in cycling long distances and being able to handle
    > difficult climbing since there are many hills and mountains in the Bay Area (Woohoo) and I would
    > like a bike that is best (easier) for climbing.
    >
    > I would appreciate your input about these bikes as well as your recommendations of which I should
    > buy. Please either post your suggestions here or email me at [email protected]
    >
    > Please respond soon as I plan to buy the bike soon.
    >
    > Much thanks, Dario

    I don't think that you'll have any problems with Cannondale's service. I just had a frame replaced.
    And (around here) Cannondale's rep is good.

    But, wheels and DRs are easily replaced -- in fact, you can probably negotiate a low cost upgrade
    during the sale (that's what I do). If you can't, it's time to find a bike shop that'll work with
    you because I usually find that their after sale service and support will be just as limited.

    I'd go for the more comfortable one.

    David

  8. Russell Yim

    Russell Yim Guest

    IMO, it's toss-up. While I like carbon frames in general, I doubt there's any real advantage to the
    Trek being full carbon, as opposed to the Aluminum frame/carbon fork of the Cannondale. I haven't
    ridden the 5200 and R2000 in a side-by-side comparison, but I'd bet, assuming they both fit your
    body reasonably the same, their ride quality is more similar than different...whatever differences
    you do feel could be a result of assembly, or what you have been told by friends, salespeople, or
    marketing.

    If I were you, I'd buy the one _you_ think is better overall, and more importantly (speaking as a
    mechanic) make sure that the shop you buy from has a _professional_ service staff that will build
    your bike perfectly, as opposed to merely adequately.

    Russell

  9. Billx

    Billx Guest

    Have you considered the Trek 2300? It's identical to the 5200 except the frame is an aluminum alloy
    and from what I was told is actually lighter than the 5200 carbon frame. I'm 47 and bought this
    bike two months ago and am very pleased with it. Unless you are riding over very rough roads you
    won't miss the carbon frame's dampening. Another consideration is the 2300 is $800 cheaper and the
    frame is much more resistant to damage. Punch one hole in a carbon tube and you'll need to buy a
    new frame.

  10. BillX wrote:

    Punch one hole
    > in a carbon tube and you'll need to buy a new frame.

    ???? <G>

    The same force that would punch a hole in a carbon tube would seriously dent an aluminum tube. Both
    materials would be seriously damaged.

    Barry

  11. Well I bought the Trek 5200 and I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVE it. The clincher was that this bike fit better
    than the Cannondale. The Trek seemed to handle the bumps better also.

    So what pedals and shoes should I get?