Trek 2100 Carbon/Aluminum Frame. Scrap?

kreeningsons

Jun 18, 2010
I recently bought a used mid 90's Trek 2100 (for less than the worth of the components on it), so I'm not concerned about financial loss here. I've taken the bike out a few times, and while riding it, if I push down or up on the handlebars, creating torsion, I hear a creaking/tinging noise. It's a sound very similar to what you'd hear if you lightly hit the carbon tubes with a car key. If I had to guess, I'd say the noise is originating near the head/top tube lug.

The frame is about 15 years old. I don't know any of its history beyond that. I know the bonding adhesive is somewhat prone to deterioration on these frames. My question is: is this frame a total loss? Should I pitch it? I've included pictures of the lug in question. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

For scale. it's a 58cm.
2zfo2zl.jpg

The problem area from lots of angles:
307owg4.jpg

2hey5vq.jpg

2hgs6pz.jpg

2irvi9u.jpg

zlrxpv.jpg

kreeningsons said:
I recently bought a used mid 90's Trek 2100 (for less than the worth of the components on it), so I'm not concerned about financial loss here.

you should be.. im afraid you wasted your money :(
those components are completely outdated.

No one on the forum can tell you whether or not the CF/aluminum bonds are failing or have failed in that frame. You'd need to take the bike to an expert to discover that. With that said, noise such as that you're hearing, can come from a host of places on the bike. In fact, tracking down noise sources on a bike can be a maddening process. If you search that topic on this forum, you'll see that.

I'd start your investigation by taking your bike to an LBS--hopefully an LBS with a good mechanic--to have the bike looked over and/or tuned up. The sounds you hear could equally come from interfaces that are not well lubed anymore.