Trek 2100 - Friend or Foe?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by teigeman, Jul 29, 2004.

1. teigeman

teigeman New Member

Hi,

**...This post originally appeared in the product review section, which has apparently committed suicide in the last day or so...**

I am considering purchasing a Trek 2100 at the LBS here in Memphis. I have attempted to research the market thoroughly, and found that there were relatively few bikes that interested me in the $1000-$1200 price range (taking into account closeout pricing, bro deals, etc).

I am a long time MTB'er, 6'3 215 lbs., who will basically use this bike for long training rides on relatively flat terrain, and the occaisional charity ride or race just to cross the finish line.

It basically came down to these three:

Bianchi Eros - Good steel frame, carbon fork, STI-type shifting - questionable Campy Mirage spec, clunky wheelset, Bianchi support.
    http://www.bianchiusa.com/eros.html

Specialized Allez Elite Cromo Triple - Good steel frame, carbon fork, Shimano 105, STI, - only negative here is that I don't know squat about Specialized, and I am not sure I want compact frame sizing.
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5968&JServSessionIdroot=pyfcbv6c68.j27002

Trek 2100 - This bike seems to have it all. Great Al/Carbon frame, carbon fork, STI, 105/Tiagra/Ultegra mix, good Bonty wheelset, carbon seatpost, really good feel.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/2100.jsp

What I want to know is...

Is there a bike at or near my stated price points (trying to stay under $1200 out-the-door) that will even come close to the Trek 2100? I am going to try to ride the Specialized today, but WOW, that 2100 is sweet.

What am I forgetting? What am I missing? Anything else I should look at?

Thanks for your replies, I am stoked to hear what you have to say.

tg/Memphis, TN

Tags:

2. RC2

RC2 New Member

Hmmm, I wouldn't buy the trek (which may be your best decision... I just don't like supporting a company that's so empirialistic in the cycling industry). My vote would be the Allez on your list (the red/white allez comp is a great step up). I'd also look at Felt F70/60s, great newish builder, solid values.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree the 2100 has a sweet ride...I test rode a 2300 last fall, and liked it better than the 5200 for the ride quality. Very smooth bike.

Would like to hear your comments on the other two steel bikes after you test ride....believe you'll like the 2100 better. Just have the LBS inflate all tires to the same pressures so you'll get a realistic comparison.

4. HyperPhreak

HyperPhreak New Member

i love my trek 2100. havent had any problems with it and it rides nice. but i dont know anything about those other bikes.

5. shadco

shadco New Member

Take a good hard look at Felt's F60 or F65 and take one for a spin.

The are very nice.

6. Snarl

Snarl New Member

I have a 2002 Trek 2200 w/Ultegra Double, I love it, great bike so far, I average 3 Rides per week @ 225Km Total with some Duathlons and a few Century events evey Year and it's been just great.

7. keydates

keydates New Member

Giant OCR1?

8. isdsms

isdsms New Member

I would recommend either the Cannondale R800 or R1000. They both use the cannondale pro Optimo frame. Though the R1000 may be a bit over your price range, it is full ultegra, with ksyriums elites, and I have seen it for $1199 on supergo. At your LBS it with probably be considerably more. The R800 uses 105 components and should be right in your price range if not lower. Check em out! I have an R2000 and love it! Make sure to include these bikes in your test riding list.

Good Luck,
    isdms

9. Cruzzer08

Cruzzer08 New Member

I bought my bike this Sunday and it was between the Trek 2100 and The Cannondale R1000. I went to ride both of them on the same day before I decided which one to get. I rode the 05 and 04 Trek 2100's and they were sweet smooth and soft. Then I went to ride the R1000 it seemed like I had more power going to the pedals, but I didn't understand how that was possible. When I told the Trek dealership that it was between them and Cannondale they said, "Cannondale only has a 5 year warranty", which is a definite lie both bikes come lifetime. When I told the Cannondale guy the same thing he said, "Go to the shop up the street and borrow a Trek and lets put them side by side." So that’s what I did, I was able to ride for about 45 min. switching back and forth at my discretion (the Cannondale guy rode with me on the bike I wasn't currently testing.) Both bikes had same gear ratios and tire pressure. Here are my findings: Power Stomp a near stop in a high gear, on the Trek: I could actually feel the frame flex and my energy being absorbed (something I didn't notice until after being on the R1000), on the Cannondale: if I wasn't clipped in the bike would have shot out from underneath me. Handling the Trek was very smooth and glided rather then cornered around the turns. The Cannondale was so responsive that the only limitation was how hard I was willing to take it. Ride The trek was very smooth, probably because of the carbon seat stay, could barely feel the bumps or the road for that matter. The Cannondale is stiff, not too stiff but you definitely know what’s under you, the bike feels like its part of the road.

Trek 2100: Like a Cadillac or Lexus

Cannondale R1000: As close to a Ferrari as I'll ever get and the 04 paint scheme is awesome.

Both sweet bikes I guess it just depends on what kind of rider you are.