Trek 2100

solelife

Aug 4, 2005
Hello,

I talked with my LBS and they had indicated that they had a TREK 2100 (2005) for $1329

Is this a good or decent deal?

Also, a TREK 1500 or TREK 2100?

Thanks

I'm a reborn newbie so my info may not be worth much.

I looked at a 2100 at my LBS last week for $1699.00 usd in Houston, Texas. it was a nice bike, and felt better to me than the Cannondale R900 and Lemond (model escapes me). I wanted to ride a Giant at another shop and ended up ridding a Felt that I fell in love with. I just bought a Felt F55 for $1709.00, $10 more than my LBS wanted for the much less equipped 2100. The Felt rode amazing, now I've just got to make it perform like it's made to. That's gonna take some time! :)

Eric

Thanks, I also looked at the Lemond Reno, Specialized Allez Triple, but the Trek 1500 rode the best for me. But I saw that 2100 and thought, "I can spend a little more, and get more bang for the buck." I'll look into Felt as well.

SilverStang said:
I'm a reborn newbie so my info may not be worth much.

I looked at a 2100 at my LBS last week for $1699.00 usd in Houston, Texas. it was a nice bike, and felt better to me than the Cannondale R900 and Lemond (model escapes me). I wanted to ride a Giant at another shop and ended up ridding a Felt that I fell in love with. I just bought a Felt F55 for $1709.00, $10 more than my LBS wanted for the much less equipped 2100. The Felt rode amazing, now I've just got to make it perform like it's made to. That's gonna take some time! :)

Eric

solelife said:
Thanks, I also looked at the Lemond Reno, Specialized Allez Triple, but the Trek 1500 rode the best for me. But I saw that 2100 and thought, "I can spend a little more, and get more bang for the buck." I'll look into Felt as well.

I couldn't find many opinions on the Felt, but the ones I did find were all good. Many believe that because of the level of equipment you get with the Felt bikes that they are cost cutting somewhere. I'm inclined to believe that as well, but they match Trek's warranty so if anything does go south hopefully they'll stand behind that great warranty. Time will tell I guess.
I'm picking my bike up on the 15th, I'f you haven't made a purchase yet, and are interested, I'll let you know my first impressions.

solelife said:
Hello,

I talked with my LBS and they had indicated that they had a TREK 2100 (2005) for $1329

Is this a good or decent deal?

Also, a TREK 1500 or TREK 2100?

Thanks

I was in your shoes two years ago. I was looking at the 2300 model, but that's besides the point. Having gotten really serious about racing, I wish I had spent the little bit extra cash for the bike because I have put a lot of money upgrading components on my 1500.

But, for your situation. You said the 1500 rode best for you and that is the most important thing. You are going to spend a lot of time on the bike and you want it to be as good feeling as possible. You can upgrade components and the 2100 has somewhat similar components to that of the 1500. But, with a better frame.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love my 1500. It responds very well to me and is durable and hasn't 'slowed' me down. I've been getting the results I want. It is a very very solid bike for the price!

Sometimes the best bike isn't the more expensive one.

"Just follow your heart, that's what I do"

Thanks...Well, what's funny is that I've called around (Sacramento, CA) and no one has the 1500. But someone has the 2100 in my size 50cm. So, I guess it's either get the 2100 (better frame) or wait about 6 weeks and get a '06 1500 and spend a little less...Well, I have some thinking to do.

Thanks for the opinions TrekDedicated.:D

TrekDedicated said:
I was in your shoes two years ago. I was looking at the 2300 model, but that's besides the point. Having gotten really serious about racing, I wish I had spent the little bit extra cash for the bike because I have put a lot of money upgrading components on my 1500.

But, for your situation. You said the 1500 rode best for you and that is the most important thing. You are going to spend a lot of time on the bike and you want it to be as good feeling as possible. You can upgrade components and the 2100 has somewhat similar components to that of the 1500. But, with a better frame.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love my 1500. It responds very well to me and is durable and hasn't 'slowed' me down. I've been getting the results I want. It is a very very solid bike for the price!

Sometimes the best bike isn't the more expensive one.

"Just follow your heart, that's what I do"

I've enjoyed my Trek 2100 from day one. It is a great comfortable bike. I've upgraded the wheels and tires and that is about it. I paid $1599 for mine so the price you could have yours at is a steal IMO.

Thanks for the feedback.
I went to another LBS and they quoted me a 2100 (2006) for $1399.
I will jump on it.

Also, they did not have any idea on what the components are. Their guess was that it would be the same or a slight upgrade. Any sneak peak into the 2006s anyone?

Briguy said:
I've enjoyed my Trek 2100 from day one. It is a great comfortable bike. I've upgraded the wheels and tires and that is about it. I paid $1599 for mine so the price you could have yours at is a steal IMO.

Go type in 2006 Trek 2100 and you will get links to Trek's website that have not been posted. Looks like the new model will be all black. Not sure I like it but the components look the same.

Not to keep buggin' you, but I went to Yahoo and typed in TREK 2100 2006 and could not find any sites that have visuals of the next model. Do you know the specific website(s)?

Briguy said:
Go type in 2006 Trek 2100 and you will get links to Trek's website that have not been posted. Looks like the new model will be all black. Not sure I like it but the components look the same.

solelife said:
Thanks alot....I think that I'll go back to my LBS and pick this up for a nice $1399.......I'll let you know how it feels...
I'm not sure how excited I would be about buying a bike from a shop that "had no idea on what the components are." (and did not do the work necessary to find out for you). If all you're looking for is the absolute cheapest price to pick up a Trek 2100, that might be fine, but if you're looking for a shop to have a long term relationship with (maintainance, accessories, etc.), you may want to go back and talk to them a bit more before committing yourself to buying from there just to get a feel for how clueful they are.

As an aside, I ride a Trek 1500 (2004) and am very happy with it.

Good luck,

Berend

Good point,
They knew about the 2100 '05 they had in stock, but they did not know about the new 2100 '06. So I went to a website that had the new specs on the '06. Def. not tryin' to say that I'm an expert, but it looks as if the comp. on the '06 are a bit of a down grade.

Check and see..
http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2006/road/2100.html

squidwranglr said:
I'm not sure how excited I would be about buying a bike from a shop that "had no idea on what the components are." (and did not do the work necessary to find out for you). If all you're looking for is the absolute cheapest price to pick up a Trek 2100, that might be fine, but if you're looking for a shop to have a long term relationship with (maintainance, accessories, etc.), you may want to go back and talk to them a bit more before committing yourself to buying from there just to get a feel for how clueful they are.

As an aside, I ride a Trek 1500 (2004) and am very happy with it.

Good luck,

Berend

solelife said:
They knew about the 2100 '05 they had in stock, but they did not know about the new 2100 '06. So I went to a website that had the new specs on the '06. Def. not tryin' to say that I'm an expert
I'm not questioning your own review and comparison of the 2005 vs 2006 components at all. What I'm questioning is how a "reputable" bike shop (an authorized Trek dealer, presumably) didn't know the answer to your question, didn't look it up in a printed catalog or checked out Trek's web site and instead simply said "we have no idea what the components are."

If they wanted your business and are committed to good customer care, they should have answered your questions or at least pointed you in the right direction. Plain and simple, I think.

Berend

I've been in the same boat.. looking at buying a 1500 as I am just getting back into the sport after a 10 year absence, but there doesn't seem to be any '05s available. I started taking a look at the 2100s and decided that I really liked them. I stumbled upon a brand new '04 2100 which was much cheaper than the '05, and sports ultegra RD instead of the S105RD. I bought the '04, saved BIG money from what I would have spent on the '05. The only improvement on the '05 seems to be the wheels and tires. The money I saved will buy me even better tires and wheels than the stock items on the '05. :cool:

Yeah, It's always a gamble of sorts when purchasing a bike. After a week of doing some shopping, I eventually picked up a 2100 '05. Not sure if it was the best deal ($1379), but I was anxious and tired of my old school MTB. I'd have to say that at this point, the bike is awesome. Smooth as silk, and lite for it being alu/carbon mix. ultegra RD and 105 FD. Race wheels and tires along with Race stem and bars. Hollow cranks as well. I guess I was like, "well, if I"m going to spend $1000 for a 1500 '05, I'd might as well spend a little more and get better comp and a little better frame (2100 '05)."

Climbontario said:
I've been in the same boat.. looking at buying a 1500 as I am just getting back into the sport after a 10 year absence, but there doesn't seem to be any '05s available. I started taking a look at the 2100s and decided that I really liked them. I stumbled upon a brand new '04 2100 which was much cheaper than the '05, and sports ultegra RD instead of the S105RD. I bought the '04, saved BIG money from what I would have spent on the '05. The only improvement on the '05 seems to be the wheels and tires. The money I saved will buy me even better tires and wheels than the stock items on the '05. :cool:

I'm looking into getting the Trek 2100 also. Down at my LBS they have a Cannondale r700 for 999.99 with 105 on the front & Ultegra on the back, no pedals & very crappy seat & average handlebars. The 2100 is for 1249, has road pedals, decent seat and nice handlebars as well as better rims. The 2100 has the same front/rear deraileurs as the r700. But I like the ride of the 2100 a little bit more than the 2100 so I feel that and the components justify the $250 extra. I don't race or do anything like that but want a good road bike for doing club rides an other long rides.

I think that the 2100 '05 for that price is a good price IMO. You get the race wheels and tires, race stem and bars, ultegra RD and 105 FD. I was looking into the 2100 '06 but my understanding is that they downgraded it a bit as something comparable to the 1500 '05. So, for the money, $1379, and the feel of the bike, I thought that the 2100 '05 was the way to go.
Yeah, I think you will be happy to spend a little more (who is always happy to spend more??? hahaahaa). But you probably will get more bang for the buck. Happy riding and let me know how that turns out.

agentg said:
I'm looking into getting the Trek 2100 also. Down at my LBS they have a Cannondale r700 for 999.99 with 105 on the front & Ultegra on the back, no pedals & very crappy seat & average handlebars. The 2100 is for 1249, has road pedals, decent seat and nice handlebars as well as better rims. The 2100 has the same front/rear deraileurs as the r700. But I like the ride of the 2100 a little bit more than the 2100 so I feel that and the components justify the $250 extra. I don't race or do anything like that but want a good road bike for doing club rides an other long rides.

I just bought the 05 Trek 2100 and love the heck out of it. It reminds me of my first Trek as far as fit (and that was a great bike that was stolen). I put many, many miles on that Trek and will be doing the same with this one. It is a very comfortable ride.

I got mine for $1279 at The Bike Gallery in Portland.

My body just seems to like Treks more and finds them much more comfortable. And the 2100 definitely provides a smoother ride with the carbonfiber stays and fork. The frame, with zirconium and aluminium is also very light and stiff.

Good luck with your new bike.