trek 2200

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jjjj, Aug 31, 2003.

1. jjjj

jjjj New Member

I am a new rider. I have 700 miles on an old road bike my brother gave me. I have been doing research regarding buying a new bike, but I ran into a deal on a Trek 2200 in a sports store 30 minutes away. They want $1099 for a 2003 Trek 2200 bike. They do service and repair bikes, but I suspect their service would not be as good as the LBS. The LBS does not have deals any where near this price. $100 off is good for them. What do you think? Is it worth pursuing?

Tags:

2. Geonz

Geonz New Member

Hmmm... how long will you have the bike? Probably long enough so that you'd make up the cost difference working with the LBS.
    Tho' the bigger question to me is whether that bike would fit, have the accessories and tweaks you'd like. If the LBS is good they'll set you up with more than a bike, it will be a relationship :)

3. Snarl

Snarl New Member

If it's the right size the Trek 2200 is an excellent bike. I have a 2002 Trek 2200 58CM Frame and my wife has a 2003 Trek 2200 WSD 43CM Frame (okay we're a little biased) and we both love the bikes. We do a few 3-6 Triathlons/Duathlons a year, 90-160KM Group Rides every weekend and another 100-160KM during the week made up of time trials and pleasure cruises. So far everything is excellent (2500KM on mine this year 1800KM on the wifes). I did have to remove the steerer tube on mine and lube as it was creaking and the bike shop did'nt put enough grease in there upon assembly. Looks like the price you have is pretty good !!

Good Luck

4. jjjj

jjjj New Member

Thanks Geonz and Snarl for your replies. As you probably can tell I am a really "Junior" member. The sport shop that has the bike is a very full service/uscale place. They will fit it to me. What they do not have is the relationship that you will get from an LBS. My conflict is that this is at the top of my price range. If I pass here I will probably get a bike that is all 105 to a Tiagra/105 mix. The LBS sells Lemond, Trek, and Felt. I guess I will have to consider the better bike versus better service.

Thanks
    Again

5. Snarl

Snarl New Member

Get the best of both worlds, buy the Trek and use your LBS for service and accessories. I may be wrong but I think that most profits are made on Service and Accessories as Bike pricing is VERY competitive :).

I bought my bike at a Bike Show put on during a Marathon in another city, the price was unbeatable and my LBS knows this but they are still a dealer and will honor the warranty etc.. and are pleased to privide service and any accessories I may need.