Trek 2300 vs. Cannondale R1000

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by phatpat, Jan 14, 2005.

1. phatpat

phatpat New Member

Title says it all. I'm buying a bike for the upcoming collegiate racing season. I'm planning on racing B's. I can get both the Trek 2300 and the Cannondale R1000 for about the same price. I wanted to get the opinions of the readers here, which is better? They both have the new ultegra 10 speed components, though different wheelsets. I don't know enough about cycling hardware to make the call, and I'd like an unbiased opinion.

Those are by top choices, those I'm also looking into the following:
    Trek 5000
    Scott CR1 Team
    Orbea Maia

Tags:

2. phatpat

phatpat New Member

Come on, nothing guys? I've heard a lot of good things about Scott. I'm going to test ride the Scott, Trek 2300, and R1000, see which feels better. I'm leaning Scott or R1000.

Carbon + low end components vs. al + better components

3. Il Falco

Il Falco New Member

I would buy the R1000. Cannondale makes great frames, especially the new CAAD 8. This one is lighter than the Six 13. Also the cranks are very special, lighter than the dura ace cranks and equal stiffness.

4. meehs

meehs New Member

All of the bikes you mentioned would be great rides. You just have to pick the one you like best. The only thing I was going to add is that the C'Dale will definitely be more prone to denting. The thin-walled aluminum tubes on the high end Cannondales dent very easily. I have a CAAD 5 and within two weeks after brining it home I incurred a minor top-tube dent. My local shop and C'Dale rep said that it's nothing to be concerned about and that it's just cosmetic. But it's still hard to take when you pop for a nice new bike and it gets dinged! Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting the C'Dale. I love mine! Just be especially careful to avoid denting it if you do. Good luck!

5. cuervo

cuervo New Member

I'm the proud owner of a 2002 Trek 2300 and I LOVE IT, Bontrager components are great, wheels at top of the list, 9 speed ultegra group works crispy and precise, and the bike is fast, responsive and fairly light, outstanding sprinter, great climber and good cornering capabilities.

Maybe it does not have the softer of the rides over rough pavment, but I think that has to do with the AL-ZR 9000 tubing.

I have no experience with the other models that are at your sight, but I'm very happy with my ride.

6. Plainsman

Plainsman New Member

I just got a Trek 2300 this December. I'm pretty new to road cycling, but I can say that I love this bike! It's light and seems to handle extremely well. I don't have any experience with the other bikes you mentioned, but I know that when I'm researching a product, I like to hear from satisfied customers. Best wishes on your search!

7. cdaleguy

cdaleguy New Member

I have a Cdale r1000 and love it. It's light, good looking, and says "made in the u.s"...Just not too impressed with the derailler. It gets out of adjustment pretty often, and this is with little riding and taking it easy.