Trek 2300

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by N_laplaca, Aug 29, 2003.

1. N_laplaca

N_laplaca New Member

Just wanted to get some opinions on this bike from owners. I am thinking of buying it. There is a shop nearby that has a 2003 for 1600.
    I have been a mountain biker for that last 5 years but now I want to take it to the road. Some people have suggested to me to get a steel frame others have said aluminum. After doing some reading on the pros and cons of the two and checking out what is out there on the manufacturers sites I have decided on this bike. Probably won't get into racing or anything like that.I just like to ride. I would say i'll probably do 40-50 mile rides. Sometimes more. Nick

Tags:

2. Babbar

Babbar New Member

The 2300 is a fantastic bike. It's alloy frame is a cut above standard aluminum and its full Ultrega grouppo is perfect for how you will be riding. And, at $1600, which is more than $300 below regular price, you cannot go wrong.

In fact, I would venture to say you will love it.

3. JC Henry

JC Henry New Member

If the 5200 came with pedals I would suggest the upgrade. Same great Ultrega components with that killer OCLV composite frame. But since you'd have at least another grand invested by the time you get the bike AND pedals and you don't plan on doing any racing, I'd think you would really be happy with the 2300.

4. N_laplaca

N_laplaca New Member

Ok thanks. Hopefully they haven't sold it. I'm anxious to get it now. Nick

5. Babbar

Babbar New Member

ALmost forgot! Get the new SPD-SL Ultrega pedals. They are about $140, but they are well worth it. Might need new shoes, but....

6. tt66

tt66 New Member

If it's not too late, I'd consider the Klein Q-Carbon Team. You might be able to find it for a similar price or probably a little bit more. I rode the 2300, the 5200, a Lemond Zurich, and the Klein. I liked the Klein over the 2300 because it seemed to softend some of the bumps better. It has carbon rear stays as well as a carbon fork. The 2300 seemed a little too harsh on the rear. Otherwise I loved the bike. It was quick. And $1600 is a great price. The dealer here was only offering $1750.
    I ended up buying the 2004 Klein (now called the Aura VX).

7. Snarl

Snarl New Member

I've got a 2200 and I love it.. the 2300 is a better bike so you can't go wrong !!

good luck !

8. sleeper_red

sleeper_red New Member

N_laplaca,
    Same thing happened to me. I'm a mountain biker for the last two years and test rode a Trek 2200. Guess what? I never went back to mountain biking. I love my bike. I just bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL and made the bike even better. Looks cool, too. I also bought dura ace cassette and chain, speedplay X2 pedals and Panaracer Stradius Extreme tires. I got the weight down to 18 lbs. from 20.03 Now, I'm really happy with it. I paid $1300 when I bought it.

9. jae-macmillan

jae-macmillan New Member

I've always been fascinated by the need to reduce the mass of a bicycle. I would focus on the rider instead. With a mild effort, I think I could reduce my mass by a few kg.

:)

10. notryt

notryt New Member

Whats hysterical is the money people drop on a bike to reduce the weight when they dont have the legs to take advantage of it.. If you cant maintain a 23-27 mph clip for at least 30-45 mins. then save your money.. the bike weight wont help. with good riders (seasoned) 1 lbs = about 2 mph speed gain. As far as pedals... (Look!) by all means.. not the lightest. but they are easy to get out of without being sloppy locked in. (good ones have the rear adjustment.. i found beneficial for commuting in traffic). Carbon forks are a nice comfort feature but add nothing to bike performance over aluminum. This is a top secret hint I discovered and have only shared with a few... whereever you normally keep your hands when riding in my case i have a hi-lo position.... get some poster or simular mounting tape.. its double stick but its foam.. wrap it on those hand positions on your handle bars the rewrap the cork(or gel) tape over it. the added comfort is amazing and for under a dollar a roll).Rear carbon stays on frames (the little bit of added comfort really isnt worth paying double for.) If you ride long enuf your butt should be like a rock anyway.(suggest a gel seat.. around $60) Casual riders save yourself a ton of cash.. get a steel frame with shimano sora components and ride home under 600. ( only suggestion I have is make sure your body weight matches the wheels you have on the bike... dont try putting 200 lbs on a 22-28 spoke rear wheel.
    Hint: (build it yourself) you wont save any money over stock bikes but you wont have to upgrade it either. 36 yrs of road experience all in one short paragraph... go figure