Trek 4300 Problem

reich17

Aug 4, 2004
I have a Trek 4300 that was bought in February of this year. The problem: When the chain is on the largest outer chain ring and the smallest outer cog the chain seems to occasionally "skip" when accelerating hard or climbing a hill, it happens in no other gear. The bike shifts great and the bike shop has been no help after 3 trips. Help, please.

Have you checked for a "stiff" link in the chain. On the small gear the radius is less, and with a slightly stiff link and some power could cause a "skip". Feel all the links on the chain for any stiffness. Just a thought. Goodspeed.

swerwer said:
Have you checked for a "stiff" link in the chain. On the small gear the radius is less, and with a slightly stiff link and some power could cause a "skip". Feel all the links on the chain for any stiffness. Just a thought. Goodspeed.
The dealer checked for that and thought there might have been a couple of stiff links, which he said he corrected. Today was my first ride since then and it skipped on my first climb. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

reich17 said:
The dealer checked for that and thought there might have been a couple of stiff links, which he said he corrected. Today was my first ride since then and it skipped on my first climb. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Check your cable tension. if it is too loose it can cause skip.