Trek 4500 Commuter

jrschultz

Jan 6, 2012
Nice forums you have here. I'm glad I found my way over. I have a 2004 Trek 4500 that didn't see much trail use. So, I converted it to a single speed commuter. I put skinny road going tires on. I have an Origin 8 single speed kit in the rear, but I currently have the stock crank. The crank on my bike has the gears riveted on. I have the chain on the biggest crank cog. Can someone recommend me a decent single speed crank in addition to a decent rigid fork. I don't want to brake the bank on an older bike, but I do want it to last me a while longer. I really dig the simplicity of the single speed commuter set up, but I don't think I'll ever ride fixed. I just want my bike to transition more away from the mountain bike it is and into the commuter I want it to be. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by jrschultz .

Nice forums you have here. I'm glad I found my way over. I have a 2004 Trek 4500 that didn't see much trail use. So, I converted it to a single speed commuter. I put skinny road going tires on. I have an Origin 8 single speed kit in the rear, but I currently have the stock crank. The crank on my bike has the gears riveted on. I have the chain on the biggest crank cog. Can someone recommend me a decent single speed crank in addition to a decent rigid fork. I don't want to brake the bank on an older bike, but I do want it to last me a while longer. I really dig the simplicity of the single speed commuter set up, but I don't think I'll ever ride fixed. I just want my bike to transition more away from the mountain bike it is and into the commuter I want it to be. Thanks for your help.
What's the max you're willing to spend?

I was thinking $100 give or take on the fork. The crank I'm not sure about. I don't want something too cheap. Can I get a good crank for $150?

Originally Posted by jrschultz .

Can someone recommend me a decent single speed crank in addition to a decent rigid fork. I don't want to brake the bank on an older bike, but I do want it to last me a while longer.
You may do well to scrounge around on eBay for what you need ...

You should be able to buy a suitable RIGID fork for between $10[COLOR= #808080]-[/COLOR][COLOR= #808080]and-$100[/COLOR] + shipping. Figure on $20-to-$30 + shipping for a used fork ...

• you just need to be aware of the steerer size ([COLOR= #808080]99.9% probability that you will need a fork with a 1 1/8" steerer[/COLOR]) & the brake mount type-and-location

If the chainrings on your current crankset are separate ([COLOR= #808080]vs. a welded conglomeration[/COLOR]), then you can drill out the rivets & replace them with some BMX chainring bolts to remount the single chainring of your choice.

If your current crank's spider has an otherwise standard dimension then you can mount a chainring whose tooth count best suits the terrain you are riding on after you remove the rivets.

BTW. You can buy an excellent crankset & BB for under $150 ...

A crank does not have to begin life as a SS crankset ...

Again, all you need are the shorter BMX chainring bolts to mount a single chainring any crankset.

• In some cases, you can thread the chainring's nut on 'backwards' so that it will snug up the bolt OR you can insert spacers ([COLOR= #808080]the spacers tend to be expensive, but if you are handy then you fabricate your own[/COLOR]) to replace the absent chainring.

I recommend that you if you opt for a new crankset that you choose a crankset which you think you may want to use on a future bike (Road or MTB) ...

• if you know the approximate tooth count you prefer-or-want to use, then let that be the determinant in choosing a crankset based on the chainrings which may come on the particular crankset
  • I have mixed feelings about external BBs ([COLOR= #808080]Shimano Hollowtech II, FSA MegaExo, Campagnolo Ultra Torque[/COLOR]) ... at the moment they are being superseded by the BB30 & BB386 on the higher end frames/bikes ... the bottom line is that some older styles of Shimano & FSA cranksets are available at what seems like a sizeable discount -- i.e., overstock.

Because some people need to have the latest-and-greatest, or because they feel a need to embrace a particular brand of component which is different than what is on their bike(s), some nice stuff which may have seen limited use is often available on eBay.