Trek 4500!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shaun Rimmer

Well, since my bike is temporarily OOS, my fiancé's bro offered to lend me his. It's a Trek 4500,
stock, ridden about twice in since new, and stored in a factory unit.

Got a hold of it last night, un-stuck the stuck cables, adjusted the gears and brakes, raised seat
etc. and it seemed good to go - nice and light compared to the 36 lb beast, so I figured perfect for
the up and down hill commute.

Set off this morning, and it seemed to fly, no worries! 5 minutes into the ride though,and the l/h
pedal started to come loose. Seems he'd managed to strip the crank/pedal threads at some point and
done a repair. Couldn't tell what at first, so just used a piece of a zip tie to 'jam' it in place,
and kept on. Crank arms were loose too, esp. the l/h. No worries I thought, after mine coming loose
recently, I'd got my big hex wrench in my tool pack! Nope - these are normal external hex-head
bolts. Bummer - just have to take it easy.

Got to work only a little late.

Had at it this lunch - tightened up the crank bolts (no worries there), and took a look at the
pedal. Seems he'd drilled and tapped the centre of the pedal shaft, made a taper holed washer, and
fitted a countersunk hex bolt from the back of the crank, through the washer into the pedal shaft,
and locktited the whole lot before tightening.

Thing is, he hadn't banked on the forces being applied when someone is stomping up a steep hill when
tightening it, so it all came loose one the locktite had broken it's seal.

I stripped, cleaned, re-locktited and re-assembled the parts, and, using a long arm allen key/hex
wrench, cranked up the torque on the bolt. All seems solid now.

I must say though, if it weren't for the fact this bike is so light (comparatively), I woulda been
way late for work - I thoroughly enjoyed riding it on road - still rather have the BASE for the
rough stuff though!

Anyhow, props to Simon for the loaner!

Shaun aRe - gonna have to get me a skinny MTB for my commuting methinks ',;~}

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Shaun aRe - gonna have to get me a skinny MTB for my commuting methinks
>
> I've been looking at a commuter too. I've got my eye on something, but I'm keeping schtum till
> I've actually ordered it.

On-One? Some other SS?

',;~}

Shaun aRe

Howard Turner wrote:
>>Actually doesn't look too dissimilar to my first bike:)
>>http://www.rnlawrence.btinternet.co.uk/images/Budgiewithstableisers.jpg
>>
>
>
> heheheheehheheh ahhhhhh the good old budgie I had one of those too, problem was at the time I
> seemed to think it was a jump bike, still got the scars.

Me too. The one I remember is a particularly nasty stem - scrotum accident...

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

> Me too. The one I remember is a particularly nasty stem - scrotum accident...

mine was head to tarmac (pre dated helmets), 1st of many bumps to the noodle, never did me no harm
though. Cabbages. H

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:06:06 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip] my fiancé's [snip]

Congratulations!

Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Status
Not open for further replies.