Trek 4500!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Well, since my bike is temporarily OOS, my fiancé's bro offered to lend me his. It's a Trek 4500,
    stock, ridden about twice in since new, and stored in a factory unit.

    Got a hold of it last night, un-stuck the stuck cables, adjusted the gears and brakes, raised seat
    etc. and it seemed good to go - nice and light compared to the 36 lb beast, so I figured perfect for
    the up and down hill commute.

    Set off this morning, and it seemed to fly, no worries! 5 minutes into the ride though,and the l/h
    pedal started to come loose. Seems he'd managed to strip the crank/pedal threads at some point and
    done a repair. Couldn't tell what at first, so just used a piece of a zip tie to 'jam' it in place,
    and kept on. Crank arms were loose too, esp. the l/h. No worries I thought, after mine coming loose
    recently, I'd got my big hex wrench in my tool pack! Nope - these are normal external hex-head
    bolts. Bummer - just have to take it easy.

    Got to work only a little late.

    Had at it this lunch - tightened up the crank bolts (no worries there), and took a look at the
    pedal. Seems he'd drilled and tapped the centre of the pedal shaft, made a taper holed washer, and
    fitted a countersunk hex bolt from the back of the crank, through the washer into the pedal shaft,
    and locktited the whole lot before tightening.

    Thing is, he hadn't banked on the forces being applied when someone is stomping up a steep hill when
    tightening it, so it all came loose one the locktite had broken it's seal.

    I stripped, cleaned, re-locktited and re-assembled the parts, and, using a long arm allen key/hex
    wrench, cranked up the torque on the bolt. All seems solid now.

    I must say though, if it weren't for the fact this bike is so light (comparatively), I woulda been
    way late for work - I thoroughly enjoyed riding it on road - still rather have the BASE for the
    rough stuff though!

    Anyhow, props to Simon for the loaner!

    Shaun aRe - gonna have to get me a skinny MTB for my commuting methinks ',;~}

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Shaun aRe - gonna have to get me a skinny MTB for my commuting methinks
    >
    > I've been looking at a commuter too. I've got my eye on something, but I'm keeping schtum till
    > I've actually ordered it.

    On-One? Some other SS?

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >On-One? Some other SS?
    >
    > Prolly a Tri-Geek bike or GRS ;-))
    >
    > Steve

    Heheheh - in keeping with his clipless pedal attitudes, eh?

    Shaun aRe

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Howard Turner wrote:
    >>Actually doesn't look too dissimilar to my first bike:)
    >>http://www.rnlawrence.btinternet.co.uk/images/Budgiewithstableisers.jpg
    >>

    > heheheheehheheh ahhhhhh the good old budgie I had one of those too, problem was at the time I
    > seemed to think it was a jump bike, still got the scars.

    Me too. The one I remember is a particularly nasty stem - scrotum accident...

  9. > Me too. The one I remember is a particularly nasty stem - scrotum accident...

    mine was head to tarmac (pre dated helmets), 1st of many bumps to the noodle, never did me no harm
    though. Cabbages. H

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:06:06 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip] my fiancé's [snip]

    Congratulations!

    :-]

  11. Shaun Rimmer