Trek 470 14 speed road bike. Should I get it?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by rtralabama, Jun 30, 2011.

1. rtralabama

rtralabama New Member

found it on craigslist, was wondering if its worth $150. Not sure how old it is either. I have a Trek mountain bike that I ride but I am starting to get into biking. Did a little over 30 miles yesterday and had a great time. I figure a road bike would be worth it.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bik/2460890906.html

Attached Files:

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. Many-if-not-all steel framed TREK 470 Road bikes (lugged, and not) were made with TruTemper tubing -- that's a good thing!

I think your only true concern about the bike should be whether-or-not the frame is the right size for YOU & whether or not the components are in reasonably good condition ...

• of course, the components might be considered marginal by today's standards ...
    • but, IMO, a good steel frame (heck, almost any steel frame!) is worth updating with contemporary components if one has that inclination.

If so, then I think $150 is a very good price.

BTW. This (pictured) bike began life as a maroon Trek 470 ...

[​IMG]

The only (?) thing I found to be annoying about the frame was the 26.6mm (?) seatpost size -- it was only an issue when I decided to replace it.

• I respaced the frame from its original 126mm to 120mm AFTER having previously respaced it to 130mm!?!
    • If I wanted to use it as a regular Road bike, again, then I would probably respace it back to 130mm.

3. cycleheimer

cycleheimer New Member

You can check the Vintage Trek website for more detailed information on this model...
    http://vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm

Make sure everything is in good mechanical order. You can check the specs from the website above to make everything is original.

4. rtralabama

rtralabama New Member

ended up going to look at it. the gears will not shift so i ended up not getting it. frame seemed like it was in good condition though. seemed a little small too but maybe thats just cause i've been riding a mountain bike

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. I don't know whether-or-not the frame on the particular Trek 470 was too small for you, but the inability to shift the gears is-and-was simply a maintenance issue ...

• To state what may-or-may-not-be-obvious, most bikes have to be rolling in order to shift the gears.

I knew someone who didn't realize that AIR had to be put in tires on a regular basis ... and, he was in his late 30s at the time ...

Periodic maintenance is required for ALL bikes -- new & old, expensive & inexpensive -- air, oil, grease as needed + adjusting cable tension from-time-to-time.

6. Elvis1013

Elvis1013 New Member

I know this is an old thread but for anyone who has a current interest in the Trek 470 models or the RSX brifters it comes with... I would respectfully suggest it did not shift just because the bike wasn't moving (external deraillieurs as opposed to internal gears need mov't) -- we don't even know it wasn't moving, the prospective buyer never said. Rather, I'd suggest that older brifters like this are known for getting "stuck".
    These are often imposible to fix if "broken", but often they are just stuck, they don't work because the ratchet mechanism is stiff or gunked up . I've seen mechanics flood em with wd40 and wiggle them and get them running, but never worked on a brifter myself beyond changing the cables.

Well I just fixed my first, and it's true, flood it with wd40, work it back and forth. I also had to remove the front cover (on old RSX there's a bolt so you can partially disassemble it unlike modern shimano brifters) and reseat a crooked washer too. But long story short is instead of junking the brifters and spending the time to convert to downtube shifters or such I spent a short time working on it and it came back.

7. Reggie Byrum

Reggie Byrum New Member

Thank you for that! I just purchased a Trek 470 from a friend for $100. The bike is absolutely beautiful with no rust whatsoever. Just simply beautiful. You could set it in a showroom floor. I took the bike to a Trek dealer/repair shop in Charlotte NC and asked him how much the bike is worth, and after confirming that the bike is in (his words) excellent condition, said that it would be worth $150. I was devastated. Only $150? I just now went to the vintage-trek site that someone posted above and that bike lists for $600 or $700!

The reason I say all of this is because I'm suppose to take the bike back to him next week. (I'm a new biker, so I don't know the terminology) but I shifted from the smaller front sprocket to the larger front sprocket and now it won't shift back down. The guy said that part was possibly seized up. He would try to "flush it out" but if not successful, it will be $200 to replace.

Now I'm thinking about how much he said the bike was worth and I'm starting to doubt this guy. I'm going to try your suggestion on the brifters above and maybe take it somewhere else to look at the brifters before taking it back to the Trek shop.