Trek 5.2 or Bianchi Infinito 105?

Inquisitor

Nov 23, 2012
I haven't bought a new bike in 14 years and haven't kept up on anything at all but have recently started riding more and want to upgrade to a nicer bike and continue to ride more-my current bike is an aluminum frame that I had built in 1998. There are two bikes I have narrowed it down to in my budget range and I just started looking a few weeks ago. One is a 2012 Trek Madone 5.2 H2 and it has Ultegra components which I know is a step up from Shimano 105. The other bike is a 2012 Bianchi Infinito 105 which has the Shimano 105 components. Which of these is the better bike/value? The Trek 5.2 is on sale for $2900-the Bianchi is $2700 but I may be able to get it for 10% off which would bring it to $2430-not sure about that though-the shop is closed today and I don't know if this bike is a part of their sale until tomorrow. Both are carbon frame bikes and I primarily want a smooth efficient ride-I ride several times a week-about 30 miles per ride and I can see myself doing another dozen group rides and one day cycling events in addition throughout the year, e.g. Sunday morning group rides at the local bike shops, half centuries, and Sprint events. Both of these bikes are very good looking bikes. Thanks for any input.

These are two very different bikes.Think of the Madone 5 as the civilian version of a road race bike--slightly taller head tube, slightly shorter top tube, better mid-level carbon, but with most of the ride and handling characteristics of a race bike. The Infinito is Bianchi's take on the "endurance" category, with more relaxed cockpit characteristics and steering. The overall quality of the frames is probably comparable.

Regarding value, the 5.2 is a solid Ultegra bike. The only "cheats" are the chain and 105 cassette. The Infinito uses a less expensive FSA crankset and proprietary brake calipers. The Fulcrum 7 wheels on the Bianchi might be marginally nicer than the Trek's Bontrager Races. Less than $2500 for the Infinito is a good price.

But the truth is in the riding, and you're the one who will ride. Take them for a test ride and then tell us.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond-this is an excellent post and I appreciate it. I am planning to test ride both bikes tomorrow and I will let you know. Warm regards, Inquisitor :)

I've always been a fan of Bianchi bikes, never really seen one that I don't like. Plus with the extra saving (especially if you get the 10% discount) I think it would be the best option. As oldbobcat said, the Bianchi will be more comfortable, so would be easier on you over longer rides. http://www.the-bike-expert.com/road-bikes/ Shane

I bought the Trek Madone 5.2-I loved both bikes and would have been happy with either one which was a nice problem to have-I think what it came down to was the Bianchi dealer would not budge on the price ($2700) so for another $188 I felt I was getting a better value on the 2012 Trek Madone 5.2 since it had Ultegra components while the 2012 Bianchi Infinito had Shimano 105 (The bikes were with different dealers). I took it out for a 40 mile ride on Sunday-it is screaming fast compared to my old bike-I love it. I agree with you though that the Bianchi would have been a good deal if the dealer would have come down on the price-if he had come down even 10% I might have gone that way for the difference in money but alas, he did not. This is a very minor detail and one that would have been easy to change out but the seat on the Trek was more comfortable for me than the seat they had on the Bianchi-again, I know that is minor and an easy fix-both bikes were a joy to test ride. Thank you for your post.

Nice purchase. The Madone 5 frame is a blast and you can't beat a full Ultegra kit at the price.

I was planning to get a '13 Sempre this spring, but decided to try a '12 Madone 5.5 before they disappeared. Surprise, surprise, it was all the bike I need and then some. Well, it could use a bit more fork rake and a little less head tube, but I'm very happy. The head tube will come in handy when I turn 70.

Thank you-I am excited about the bike-now if it would just stop raining in Portland I could ride it again! Glad you are happy with your purchase as well.