Trek 5000 or Lemond Zurich?



R

Rolokid

Guest
Can someone help me decide between the Trek 5000 and a Lemond Zurich?

I was just about sold on the Trek until I rode the Lemond. Because of the
carbon/steel combo, it was a pretty smooth ride... so now I'm torn.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 
J

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:15:50 GMT, "Rolokid" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>I was just about sold on the Trek until I rode the Lemond. Because of the
>carbon/steel combo, it was a pretty smooth ride... so now I'm torn.


Sounds like your answer right there. The crucial question being,
"which one fits (and feels) better".

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University
 
R

Rolokid

Guest
Let's assume they both fit and the exact same... which is the better choice
and why?


"Rolokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Can someone help me decide between the Trek 5000 and a Lemond Zurich?
>
> I was just about sold on the Trek until I rode the Lemond. Because of the
> carbon/steel combo, it was a pretty smooth ride... so now I'm torn.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
>
 
J

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:52:10 GMT, "Rolokid" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>Let's assume they both fit and the exact same... which is the better choice
>and why?


The cheaper one because it's cheaper. Or the red one because red
bicycles are faster (that's a scientific fact, although there's no
proof for it). Or the one you like the look of because you like the
look of it :)

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University
 
R

Rolokid

Guest
easy... someone might have had a bad experience with one of them... that
could influence my decision. it's quite possible someone could have valid
input... but, if you didn't, then why waste time replying just to be a
weisenheimer?

"Denver C. Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >Let's assume they both fit and the exact same... which is the better

choice
> >and why?

>
> How can anyone on this NG possibly tell you what to buy?
>
> They are both great - make a decision and get on with your life!
>
>
> http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
> (Colorado rental condo)
>
> http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
> (Family Web Page)
>
 
D

Denver C. Fox

Guest
>easy... someone might have had a bad experience with one of them... that
>could influence my decision. it's quite possible someone could have valid
>input... but, if you didn't, then why waste time replying just to be a
>weisenheimer?


Let's assume that ONE person had a problem with either the Zurich or 5000. So
what does that prove? Perhaps the person beat up the bike, or perhaps a bad
bike got through the QA process. It happens. That in no way invalidates that
they are both great bikes (incidentally, made by the same company).

So, which one turns you on. Which has the better components (if they are not
the same)? Which paint job do you like? Which fits your particular body best?
YOU have to make that choice.

I guess, to me, there comes a time when you say, "Hey, I really like that bike,
I will go for it," and quit asking everyone else what they think. But, that is
just me.




http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)
 
C

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:02:52 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Or the red one because red
>bicycles are faster (that's a scientific fact, although there's no
>proof for it).


Jeeez... and we've been able to avoid the dread 'red bike thread' for
quite a while. Have to agree though, no matter what some will say,
especially the Bianchi people.

Everything else being equal, always go with red.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
 
R

Rolokid

Guest
Problem is... I say, "Hey, I really like both bikes [but for different
reasons], which should I go for". I was just curious what some folks why
may have had some experience with each bike might have to say. Nuthin'
wrong with that.

BUT... since you felt compelled to reply to my question with your snappy
answers, it looks like I won't get to hear what someone else might have to
say since you prolly scared everyone off from providing actual useful input.

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to look on the bright side... I can't go
wrong with either. ;)


"Denver C. Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >easy... someone might have had a bad experience with one of them... that
> >could influence my decision. it's quite possible someone could have valid
> >input... but, if you didn't, then why waste time replying just to be a
> >weisenheimer?

>
> Let's assume that ONE person had a problem with either the Zurich or 5000.

So
> what does that prove? Perhaps the person beat up the bike, or perhaps a

bad
> bike got through the QA process. It happens. That in no way invalidates

that
> they are both great bikes (incidentally, made by the same company).
>
> So, which one turns you on. Which has the better components (if they are

not
> the same)? Which paint job do you like? Which fits your particular body

best?
> YOU have to make that choice.
>
> I guess, to me, there comes a time when you say, "Hey, I really like that

bike,
> I will go for it," and quit asking everyone else what they think. But,

that is
> just me.
>
>
>
>
> http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
> (Colorado rental condo)
>
> http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
> (Family Web Page)
>
 
S

S o r n i

Guest
Can't bring myself to help a top-poster. Sorry.

Bill "and I /had/ the answer, too" S.

Rolokid wrote:
> Problem is... I say, "Hey, I really like both bikes [but for different
> reasons], which should I go for". I was just curious what some folks
> why may have had some experience with each bike might have to say.
> Nuthin' wrong with that.
>
> BUT... since you felt compelled to reply to my question with your
> snappy answers, it looks like I won't get to hear what someone else
> might have to say since you prolly scared everyone off from providing
> actual useful input.
>
> Oh well. Guess I'll just have to look on the bright side... I can't
> go wrong with either. ;)
>
>
> "Denver C. Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>> easy... someone might have had a bad experience with one of them...
>>> that could influence my decision. it's quite possible someone could
>>> have valid input... but, if you didn't, then why waste time
>>> replying just to be a weisenheimer?

>>
>> Let's assume that ONE person had a problem with either the Zurich or
>> 5000. So what does that prove? Perhaps the person beat up the bike,
>> or perhaps a bad bike got through the QA process. It happens. That
>> in no way invalidates that they are both great bikes (incidentally,
>> made by the same company).
>>
>> So, which one turns you on. Which has the better components (if
>> they are not the same)? Which paint job do you like? Which fits
>> your particular body best? YOU have to make that choice.
>>
>> I guess, to me, there comes a time when you say, "Hey, I really like
>> that bike, I will go for it," and quit asking everyone else what
>> they think. But, that is just me.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
>> (Colorado rental condo)
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
>> (Family Web Page)
 
D

Denver C. Fox

Guest
>Problem is... I say, "Hey, I really like both bikes [but for different
>reasons], which should I go for". I was just curious what some folks why
>may have had some experience with each bike might have to say. Nuthin'
>wrong with that.
>
>BUT... since you felt compelled to reply to my question with your snappy
>answers, it looks like I won't get to hear what someone else might have to
>say since you prolly scared everyone off from providing actual useful input.
>
>Oh well. Guess I'll just have to look on the bright side... I can't go
>wrong with either. ;)


Sometimes life just deals us some devastating blows!

Hope you get through it.

(By the way, this group will respond in any way they see fit, no matter what I
say or whether or not I have responded - they are a pretty independent bunch of
cyclists.)


http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)
 
D

Diablo Scott

Guest
Rolokid wrote:
> Problem is... I say, "Hey, I really like both bikes [but for different
> reasons], which should I go for". I was just curious what some folks why
> may have had some experience with each bike might have to say. Nuthin'
> wrong with that.
>
> BUT... since you felt compelled to reply to my question with your snappy
> answers, it looks like I won't get to hear what someone else might have to
> say since you prolly scared everyone off from providing actual useful input.
>
> Oh well. Guess I'll just have to look on the bright side... I can't go
> wrong with either. ;)
>
>


Try this site: http://www.bikefanclub.com/
All kinds of folks over there that will tell you what you want to hear.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
 
A

Alex Rodriguez

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...

>Let's assume they both fit and the exact same... which is the better choice
>and why?


Assuming identical fit and ride, the one sold by the better bike shop.
--------------
Alex
 
S

scottt

Guest
Two great bikes... If you haven't tried a Cannondale, you might want
to give it a try before you put down your cash. I ride a DA'd r1000
and love it. The factory boys (and their trailier of toys) were at my
LBS today... Tried the Cannondale six13
(http://www.legalizemycannondale.com/index_en.html)today...Boy was
that sweet!!! Good luck....

"Rolokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can someone help me decide between the Trek 5000 and a Lemond Zurich?
>
> I was just about sold on the Trek until I rode the Lemond. Because of the
> carbon/steel combo, it was a pretty smooth ride... so now I'm torn.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 
G

Gerry

Guest
I was torn also, but I also test rode the Lemond Arriveee which was
titanium! All great bikes and I wanted them all including the Trek 5000.
BUT I found the Trek 5000 kinda "dull" - not sure how to explain that one.
As soon as I rode the Lemond Zurich, I just knew it was "the one". Price
was also cheaper than Trek 5000. Got fitted by Chain Reaction Bicycles -
:). AND for the last 9 months the Zurich performs, handles, and rides like
a dream with no problems.

Hope that helps.


"Rolokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Can someone help me decide between the Trek 5000 and a Lemond Zurich?
>
> I was just about sold on the Trek until I rode the Lemond. Because of the
> carbon/steel combo, it was a pretty smooth ride... so now I'm torn.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
>
 
B

Bonehenge

Guest
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:52:10 GMT, "Rolokid" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Let's assume they both fit and the exact same...


They won't. The geometry is quite different between Lemond and Trek.

Barry
 
S

S o r n i

Guest
Rolokid wrote:
> awesome, thanks!


Whoosh.

>>
>> Try this site: http://www.bikefanclub.com/
>> All kinds of folks over there that will tell you what you want to
>> hear.


Bill "top-poster says 'What?'" S.
 
M

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Guest
> Can someone help me decide between the Trek 5000 and a Lemond Zurich?
>
> I was just about sold on the Trek until I rode the Lemond. Because of the
> carbon/steel combo, it was a pretty smooth ride... so now I'm torn.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.


If you preferred the Zurich to the 5000, my guess is that it's due to the
differing geometry between the two bikes, or the nicer tires on the Zurich.
I've ridden both, and still prefer the full-carbon but have to admit that
there was something about the Zurich that was kinda fun... but it's not
because there's something about the frame that would give it a smoother
ride, but rather its different geometry.

Proper fit is essential. Did you have both bikes set up exactly the same
way? You might take a look at this page on our website, which helps people
figure out how to make comparisons-
www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm

In the end, the right bike is the one you want to ride, every chance you
get.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

"Rolokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Can someone help me decide between the Trek 5000 and a Lemond Zurich?
>
> I was just about sold on the Trek until I rode the Lemond. Because of the
> carbon/steel combo, it was a pretty smooth ride... so now I'm torn.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
>
 
E

Easynews

Guest
"Denver C. Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >Problem is... I say, "Hey, I really like both bikes [but for different
> >reasons], which should I go for". I was just curious what some folks why
> >may have had some experience with each bike might have to say. Nuthin'
> >wrong with that.
> >
> >BUT... since you felt compelled to reply to my question with your snappy
> >answers, it looks like I won't get to hear what someone else might have

to
> >say since you prolly scared everyone off from providing actual useful

input.
> >
> >Oh well. Guess I'll just have to look on the bright side... I can't go
> >wrong with either. ;)

>
> Sometimes life just deals us some devastating blows!
>
> Hope you get through it.
>
> http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
> (Colorado rental condo)
>
> http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
> (Family Web Page)
>


I'll get through it, thanks. How's that aol, btw?