Trek 5000 stock, Upgrade questions..

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
Hi Guys,

I bought a Trek 5000 and do like it quite a bit but wondering on the grand scheme of things, how does it rank to other road bikes?

Also if you have one, what upgrade would you consider, in terms of wheels, rear cassettes and anything else. What can I do to go faster and what could I do to be better on hills? Probably need different equipment depending on the case but wondering what could I do.

Last is it really worth it at all, I mean I really rediscovered cycling this year and put a about 3 thousands miles between my Cannon F400 for touring and my Trek 5000 but thinking I may just ditch both and start with some new ones for next year...

Thoughts guys...

-js

jsirabella said:
Hi Guys,

I bought a Trek 5000 and do like it quite a bit but wondering on the grand scheme of things, how does it rank to other road bikes?

Also if you have one, what upgrade would you consider, in terms of wheels, rear cassettes and anything else. What can I do to go faster and what could I do to be better on hills? Probably need different equipment depending on the case but wondering what could I do.

Last is it really worth it at all, I mean I really rediscovered cycling this year and put a about 3 thousands miles between my Cannon F400 for touring and my Trek 5000 but thinking I may just ditch both and start with some new ones for next year...

Thoughts guys...

-js
No genius thinking required here... train harder,eat more spinach,ditch extra bacon,landfill the old **** and get a Colnago C-50, Merckx AMX or Giant TCR advanced, full Record carbon 10.. done!

Willl I need to get the second mortgage on my house? When I read in the mags, all seem 5,000 or more?

Any good guides for training you can recommend?

-js

boudreaux said:
No genius thinking required here... train harder,eat more spinach,ditch extra bacon,landfill the old **** and get a Colnago C-50, Merckx AMX or Giant TCR advanced, full Record carbon 10.. done!

jsirabella said:

You've pretty much crossed the line of diminishing returns where spending more money on upgrades will give you disapointingly small gains in performance. The Trek 5000 is a solid all around road bike and any upgrades are just going to clutter up your world with more shiny things. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

jsirabella said:
That's a fine bike, and in fact I have a similar bike myself. Leave it like it is and ride the wheels off it.

The only upgrade you should consider would be something to address a problem, like a different saddle if you have discomfort, etc. But if nothing's bothering you about the bike, leave it like it is.

maybe if you want to ride faster, you could ride more. buying another expensive bike is going to do nothing more than make your wallet lighter.

you could hire a coach and get on the path to a stronger body and you will be a faster rider.

You guys are all giving the wrong advice here. This guy was primed for selling us his Trek 5000 on the cheap and getting a new bike that would cost as much as a car! When will you people learn? ;)

Doctor Morbius said:
You guys are all giving the wrong advice here. This guy was primed for selling us his Trek 5000 on the cheap and getting a new bike that would cost as much as a car! When will you people learn? ;)
hahha.. i guess i am just jelous i can't just dispose of a Trek 5000 for cheap and go drop another $5-6k on a new bike thinking it will make me fast. I figured it out a long time ago the only way i wil improve on hills and get faster is to ride more and to train effectively. Remember 'Train smarter, not harder'.

Maybe I was lucky but my Trek only cost me about $2k brand new from the shop...

I will take advice to heart and work harder...maybe find a coach.

I could never actually get rid of the bike as it has too many memories but can always have another one.

-js

Rideastrong said:
hahha.. i guess i am just jelous i can't just dispose of a Trek 5000 for cheap and go drop another $5-6k on a new bike thinking it will make me fast. I figured it out a long time ago the only way i wil improve on hills and get faster is to ride more and to train effectively. Remember 'Train smarter, not harder'.

jsirabella said:
Maybe I was lucky but my Trek only cost me about $2k brand new from the shop...

I will take advice to heart and work harder...maybe find a coach.

I could never actually get rid of the bike as it has too many memories but can always have another one.

-js
A coach can help you find out what your real weaknesses are and help you focus on becoming a great cyclist. Please do not train harder, but train smarter. Improving your weaknesses will make you stronger and faster. If you start a structured training program don't lose site of why you started to ride. We all ride for different reasons and make sure you keep that reason in mind on EVERY RIDE you go on otherwise cycling will no longer be fun!

Very Wise...I will take it to heart especially about the reasons for training. I will need it for the winter to keep getting up at 5:30am to get to the gym, take my daughter to school and than ride afterwards.

I really like the train smarter...I have been in the road racing forum and looking into just that.

That would be a great post...SO WHY DO YOU RIDE??? I know my wife has no clue.

-js

Rideastrong said:
A coach can help you find out what your real weaknesses are and help you focus on becoming a great cyclist. Please do not train harder, but train smarter. Improving your weaknesses will make you stronger and faster. If you start a structured training program don't lose site of why you started to ride. We all ride for different reasons and make sure you keep that reason in mind on EVERY RIDE you go on otherwise cycling will no longer be fun!