Trek 5000 vs Specialized Roubaix vs Litespeed Bella

triathlete41

Apr 23, 2005
It's down to these three and I need some feedback from experienced cyclists! As for ride, the Bella felt perfect but it lacks ultegra components, which could price it higher than the other two. The Roubaix is comfortable but feels heavy compared to the Bella. Superb otherwise. And the Trek 5000 has all the components I need at about the same price as the Roubaix. Your thoughts?

triathlete41 said:
It's down to these three and I need some feedback from experienced cyclists! As for ride, the Bella felt perfect but it lacks ultegra components, which could price it higher than the other two. The Roubaix is comfortable but feels heavy compared to the Bella. Superb otherwise. And the Trek 5000 has all the components I need at about the same price as the Roubaix. Your thoughts?
Are you talking about the Roubaix base model (aliminum)? The Elite and pro are both CF and very light. I am guessing your into tri's by your screen name. While I myself ride a Roubaix Pro and think very highly of it, I don't know if it's a great tri frame. The geometry is more upright and less aero than other frames.. If you want an Ultegra group at a low price, check out Felt

Sorry, I should have specified: Roubaix Elite (carbon). While I started riding because of the tri's (hence the user name), I'm down to one or two events a year. I get in one long ride a week (40-60 miles) and couple of short ones (20). So I'm really looking for a lightweight road bike that makes me competitive on the "hills" of Central Florida and provides a more comfortable ride than an aluminum frame. The titanium Litespeed Bella is definitely lightweight, but lacks the ultegra components (is this really a big factor)?

triathlete41 said:
Sorry, I should have specified: Roubaix Elite (carbon). While I started riding because of the tri's (hence the user name), I'm down to one or two events a year. I get in one long ride a week (40-60 miles) and couple of short ones (20). So I'm really looking for a lightweight road bike that makes me competitive on the "hills" of Central Florida and provides a more comfortable ride than an aluminum frame. The titanium Litespeed Bella is definitely lightweight, but lacks the ultegra components (is this really a big factor)?
I just bought the 5000. It was between the 5000 and the SPecialized Boubaix for me as well. For me, the Specialized just was not the right size and I got a great deal on the Trek. Either way its how you feel on the bike. Good luck!!

triathlete41 said:

There is only one choice here and it is obvious...It has to be the one that naturally fits you best. Meaning, with minimal tweeks of the stem and saddle positions, which one offers you the best riding position. I went through a very similar choice last year and went with the Roubaix because the long head tube worked perfectly for the type of riding I do at this point in my life. I have about 8k on it and I am very happy with it.

The fact that it fits me well allows me to ride further and more often because I do not have too many aches and pains.

I would not worry about the Ultegra V 105 thing unless you are doing some serious racing, they are both good quality groups, are moderately durable (other than the STI shifters which are not durable at all on either group) and the weight difference is not all that great.

Again, unless you are doing serious racing, weight (within reason) is not that much of an issue.

I can not stress enough that fit is handsdown the most important bike feature to keep you in the saddle for many hours and many days.

Also, did you look at the Giant OCR's and TCR's? They are very nice rides in the same class as what you have mentioned above with reasonably priced carbon frames.

my two cents: well i don't know that i qualify as a serious cyclist but i bought the bella last year and love it! The fit is for me just better than anything else i tried. And the way it feels! I love my bike.