Trek 520 Gearing Change

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I want to change the Shimano 105 crankset on my Trek 520 (2003) to a Shimano Deore LX MTB crankset
    FC-M572 (22-32-44) Not sure which bottom bracket spindle length I should get - 113 or 118. I'd
    normally get the 113 but the 105 bb was 118.

    Any advice would be appreciated

    Thanks Bill

    Tags:

  2. Bill-<< I want to change the Shimano 105 crankset on my Trek 520 (2003) to a Shimano Deore LX MTB
    crankset FC-M572 (22-32-44) Not sure which bottom bracket spindle length I should get - 113 or 118.
    I'd normally get the 113 but the 105 bb was 118. >><BR><BR>

    113, remember the BB is matched to the crank, not the frameset.

  3. A sgy person asked:

    > I want to change the Shimano 105 crankset on my Trek 520 (2003) to a Shimano Deore LX MTB crankset
    > FC-M572 (22-32-44) Not sure which bottom bracket spindle length I should get - 113 or 118. I'd
    > normally get the 113 but the 105 bb was 118.

    Definitely get the 113. Shimano says 113 _or_ 118, but the 118 is for mountain bikes with
    oversized seat tubes, where the front derailer may not be able to move close enough in because of
    the fat tubing.

    The shorter BB will give much better chain line. Note that the 118 spindle for your 105 crank is a
    different spline pattern, and won't work with the LX crank.

    You would also probably be better off swapping front derailers for one designed for the smaller
    chainrings. This could cause indexing problems if your bike had STI, but since your bike uses
    barcons, that's a non-issue.

    Sheldon "Compatibilitude" Brown +------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it, | but we must sail, and not drift,
    | nor lie at anchor. | --Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. |
    +------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Thanks guys, I appreciate your help

    Bill

    > A sgy person asked:
    >
    > > I want to change the Shimano 105 crankset on my Trek 520 (2003) to a Shimano Deore LX MTB
    > > crankset FC-M572 (22-32-44) Not sure which bottom bracket spindle length I should get - 113 or
    > > 118. I'd normally get the 113 but the 105 bb was 118.
    >
    > Definitely get the 113. Shimano says 113 _or_ 118, but the 118 is for mountain bikes with
    > oversized seat tubes, where the front derailer may not be able to move close enough in because of
    > the fat tubing.
    >
    > The shorter BB will give much better chain line. Note that the 118 spindle for your 105 crank is a
    > different spline pattern, and won't work with the LX crank.
    >
    > You would also probably be better off swapping front derailers for one designed for the smaller
    > chainrings. This could cause indexing problems if your bike had STI, but since your bike uses
    > barcons, that's a
    non-issue.

    > Sheldon "Compatibilitude" Brown
    > +------------------------------------------------------------------+
    > | We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it, | but we must sail, and not
    > | drift, nor lie at anchor. | --Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. |
    > +------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    > Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    > shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  5. "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:U%[email protected]...
    > I want to change the Shimano 105 crankset on my Trek 520 (2003) to a Shimano Deore LX MTB crankset
    > FC-M572 (22-32-44) Not sure which bottom bracket spindle length I should get - 113 or 118. I'd
    > normally get the 113 but the 105 bb was 118.

    Wow, that is some step down from the 52/42/30 that comes on the current
    520. Out of curiosity, why the change?

    I took a 3,142 mile solo tour with a total bike/equipment weight of about 95 lbs (things like the
    gallon can of Coleman stove fuel are heavy ;-)). Even climbing some pretty significant mountains I
    never felt the need for gearing that low on the road... in the woods it's a different story.

    John

  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    This setup gives me approx 19 to 108 gear inches, pretty much what I'm lookin for. These 58 year old
    legs need all the help thay can get.

    I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this geaing is appropriate. Bruce Gordon Cycles uses this
    geaing and he is a well respected touring bike manufacturer.

    Bill

    "John Grossbohlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:U%[email protected]...
    > > I want to change the Shimano 105 crankset on my Trek 520 (2003) to a Shimano Deore LX MTB
    > > crankset FC-M572 (22-32-44) Not sure which bottom bracket spindle length I should get - 113 or
    > > 118. I'd normally get the 113 but the 105 bb was 118.
    >
    > Wow, that is some step down from the 52/42/30 that comes on the current
    > 520. Out of curiosity, why the change?
    >
    > I took a 3,142 mile solo tour with a total bike/equipment weight of about
    95
    > lbs (things like the gallon can of Coleman stove fuel are heavy ;-)). Even climbing some pretty
    > significant mountains I never felt the need for
    gearing
    > that low on the road... in the woods it's a different story.
    >
    > John

  7. "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:7%[email protected]...
    > This setup gives me approx 19 to 108 gear inches, pretty much what I'm lookin for. These 58 year
    > old legs need all the help thay can get.

    I can appreciate that... I went to a full suspension mountain bike recently as my body couldn't take
    the pounding any more. The full suspension is keeping me on a bike as advancing age and back
    injuries suffered in an auto accident (I was rear-ended so hard the driver's seat broke off
    backwards) were doing their best to get me off.

    John