Trek 520 question

Liketwobike

Guest
Could someone tell me what the Weight is of a 2003 Trek 520? The Fuji touring shows as 26 pounds and
I'm curious as to the comparison. So far I haven't been able to find it listed in the specs. Thanks,

Keith

[email protected] (LikeTwoBike) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Could someone tell me what the Weight is of a 2003 Trek 520? The Fuji touring shows as 26
> pounds and I'm curious as to the comparison. So far I haven't been able to find it listed in
> the specs. Thanks,
>
> Keith

You realize that weight would be affected by frame size, choice of tires, saddle and
other options?

I notice that the link provided lists Conti "Super Sport" tires, which are lighter than the "Top
Touring" tires on the 520 I test rode a few years ago.

I suspect that a manufacturer would tend to post weights which cast their bikes in the most
favourable light.

If you're deciding which bike to buy based on weight, you might want to be sure you're comparing
apples to apples.

fwiw My Mikado, 50 cm frame, Vredstein "Perfect Tires," alloy rack, computer, terrible saddle,
weighs 28 pounds. It uses True Temper OXII tubing (like the 520) and similar LX and 105 component
mix, but has STI levers and travel agents, which may add a few ounces.

hth

[email protected] (LikeTwoBike) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Could someone tell me what the Weight is of a 2003 Trek 520? The Fuji touring shows as 26
> pounds and I'm curious as to the comparison. So far I haven't been able to find it listed in
> the specs. Thanks,
>
> Keith

oops. Need more coffee.:-(

Meant to add that the weight I posted for my Mikado is actual, weighed on the old-fashioned scale
at a local drugstore.

With a pannier containing pump, tools, tubes,
etc. and two water bottles it weighs 40 pounds.

*MY* weight is classified information :)

Some LBS's have scales to weight bikes and components, or perhaps you could buy or borrow a fish
scale with suitable range.

hth

>You realize that weight would be affected by frame size, choice of tires, saddle and other options?

Thanks Mark. I'm more interested in generalities than split hair. A published "Curb Weight" is fine
for my purposes. As I've been told, when you have a load on your bike, the weight of the bike isn't
the issue. I'm looking at a number of variables (operative word = Variable) only one of which is
weight. Thanks again for your time to respond. Keith Keith

"LikeTwoBike" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> Could someone tell me what the Weight is of a 2003 Trek 520? The Fuji touring shows as 26
> pounds and I'm curious as to the comparison. So far I haven't been able to find it listed in
> the specs. Thanks,
>
> Keith

I have one (year 2000) and I don't know. In 2000, the 520 had a published frame weight of 4.7 or 5.1
lb, but they didn't say for what frame size it was. Since not all makers weigh their bikes (at least
officially) and since those who do don't say what framesize they used for reference, I don't think
it would be fair to compare.

If you have a decent bathroom scale, I would suggest you bring it to the store and weigh yourself
with and without bike. The net result should be ok within 2-3 lb, especially if you repeat 2-3 times
per bike. If you compare bikes, don't forget that the Trek comes with a rear rack which adds about
400 g (aprox. 1 lb) to the bike.

Regards,

Michel

"mark freedman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Could someone tell me what the Weight is of a 2003 Trek 520? The Fuji touring shows as 26 pounds
> > and I'm curious as to the
comparison.
> > So far I haven't been able to find it listed in the specs. Thanks,
> >
> > Keith
>
> You realize that weight would be affected by frame size, choice of tires, saddle and other
> options?

Good point Mark, and one that I have to comment on, that I cannot recall anyone ever being
particularly concerned about the weight of a touring bike.

There are too many variables to count, the least of which is that NO manufacturer has posted/listed
bike weights that are remotely accurate and ending up with my first thought which was "Why would it
matter on a touring bike, when it's going to get different tires, accessories, saddle, pump, tools,
possibly lights etc...". I cannot think that I've ever weighed my Miyata tourer, it's almost like
asking about the weight of a truck, not something that's at all important compared to all the other
features that are, such as appropriate low gearing, STI VS. Bar-Cons, wheel quality and build,
chainstay length, numbers of eyelets for racks AND fenders, etc...

Steve Bailey

I could not say what the weight of the Fuji touring bike is, but do want to share my experience with
my Fuji touring bike. The wheels needed rebuilding after only about 500 miles and the paint began
corroding the first year. Fuji would not ship a new frame. I had a similarly bad experience with the
Raliegh touring bike, but am happy with my Cannondale tourer. The latter has taken years of abuse
and still runs and looks beautiful. New wheels on that too, but after a about 5000 miles.

Frank