Trek 520

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cub Fan, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Cub Fan

    Cub Fan Guest

    Does anyone have an opinion about the Trek 520. I would use it for short (15 to 20 mile) trips and
    some touring -- on roads and on bicycle paths (crushed gravel).

    Would the Trek 520 be right for this purpose

    Cub Fan

    Tags:

  2. The TREK 520 would be just fine for such purposes, as would some cyclocross bikes (such as the TREK
    X01). For the short trips just about anything might suffice (hybrid, mountain bike with smooth
    tires, etc). But of course, part of the appeal to getting a "touring" bike isn't just for what
    you'll immediately use it for, but the dream it represents... just sitting there, waiting to take
    you some place new & exciting.

    "Cub Fan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have an opinion about the Trek 520. I would use it for short
    (15
    > to 20 mile) trips and some touring -- on roads and on bicycle paths
    (crushed
    > gravel).
    >
    > Would the Trek 520 be right for this purpose
    >
    > Cub Fan

  3. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    Hi Mike Any thoughts on the Fuji Touring compared to the 520? Anything else in the running?

    > The TREK 520 would be just fine for such purposes, as would some
    cyclocross
    > bikes (such as the TREK X01). For the short trips just about anything
    might
    > suffice (hybrid, mountain bike with smooth tires, etc). But of course,
    part
    > of the appeal to getting a "touring" bike isn't just for what you'll immediately use it for, but
    > the dream it represents... just sitting there, waiting to take you some place new & exciting.

    > "Cub Fan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone have an opinion about the Trek 520. I would use it for short
    > (15
    > > to 20 mile) trips and some touring -- on roads and on bicycle paths
    > (crushed
    > > gravel).
    > >
    > > Would the Trek 520 be right for this purpose
    > >
    > > Cub Fan

  4. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:38:24 -0800, "Melisa Johns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any thoughts on the Fuji Touring compared to the 520? Anything else in the running?

    When I was looking for a touring bike last summer I came close to buying a Trek 520 when a member of
    our bike club put his Fuji Touring Series up for sale. I bought the Fuji and am quite happy with my
    selection. My girlfriend rides a 520, and I'm hard pressed to see any significant difference between
    the two. I'd probably be equally happy with either.

  5. > Any thoughts on the Fuji Touring compared to the 520? Anything else in
    the
    > running?

    The Fuji is a bit less of a "classic" touring bike than the TREK (STI instead of bar cons) and
    rather different geometry. It's going to ride quite differently and has a couple strange anomalies,
    like the wheelbase being longer on the 17" than the 19", and the headtube height is almost the same
    for both 23 & 25" sizes. Doesn't mean it won't fit you, but might require a bit more creativity.

    But I'm just going by what they show on the geometry charts and have no direct experience fitting
    someone to the Fuji, just the TREK.

    "Melisa Johns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].news.dfncis.de...
    > Hi Mike Any thoughts on the Fuji Touring compared to the 520? Anything else in
    the
    > running?
    >

    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The TREK 520 would be just fine for such purposes, as would some
    > cyclocross
    > > bikes (such as the TREK X01). For the short trips just about anything
    > might
    > > suffice (hybrid, mountain bike with smooth tires, etc). But of course,
    > part
    > > of the appeal to getting a "touring" bike isn't just for what you'll immediately use it for, but
    > > the dream it represents... just sitting
    there,
    > > waiting to take you some place new & exciting.
    > >
    > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    > >

    > > "Cub Fan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Does anyone have an opinion about the Trek 520. I would use it for
    short
    > > (15
    > > > to 20 mile) trips and some touring -- on roads and on bicycle paths
    > > (crushed
    > > > gravel).
    > > >
    > > > Would the Trek 520 be right for this purpose
    > > >
    > > > Cub Fan

  6. Melisa Johns

    Melisa Johns Guest

    What about a Giant OCR Elite 0?

    > > Any thoughts on the Fuji Touring compared to the 520? Anything else in
    > the
    > > running?
    >
    > The Fuji is a bit less of a "classic" touring bike than the TREK (STI instead of bar cons)
    > and rather different geometry. It's going to ride quite differently and has a couple strange
    > anomalies, like the wheelbase being longer on the 17" than the 19", and the headtube height
    > is almost
    the

  7. > What about a Giant OCR Elite 0?

    Sounds like you're beginning to throw darts, which isn't a very good way to select a bike. Find a
    really good dealer and try the bikes out. See how they fit, and particularly, see how the dealer
    works with you on the fit (it's not just standing over the top tube and seeing how high you can lift
    it). A really nice bike from a so-so dealer isn't going to be as good as a not-quite-as-nice bike
    from a really good dealer.

    Work on a limited time frame to finish your search and you'll be a lot happier. Otherwise you'll
    just keep looking for more and more and more data, and always be worried that maybe you'd missed
    something that you hadn't gotten to yet. You can go that route forever and never get a bike or,
    worse yet, agonize over the process so much that it's not fun and even have doubts about your final
    choice. We've seen this happen all too often, and it's not a pretty sight.