Trek 520

scituatejohn

Aug 3, 2003
Is the frame for the Trek 520 still made in the United States? I noticed that Trek's website no longer makes that claim. I also noticed that they claim that the frame and fork are now triple butted. Is the new triple butted frame better than the previous double butted frame? Can you comment on the quality of the Trek 520 frame and fork? Can Trek dealers get the frameset instead of the complete bike?

Originally posted by scituatejohn
Is the frame for the Trek 520 still made in the United States? I noticed that Trek's website no longer makes that claim. I also noticed that they claim that the frame and fork are now triple butted. Is the new triple butted frame better than the previous double butted frame? Can you comment on the quality of the Trek 520 frame and fork? Can Trek dealers get the frameset instead of the complete bike?

I am not sure if the current Trek 520 is made in the US.
Tripple butting is not necessarily better or worse than double butted tubing.
Bicycle frames built out of the USA *can be* higher quality and a better value. Bruce Gordon's BLT was built in Japan. The quality was good then, but they decided to bring it back be made in California. The quality hasn't changed.
Trek 520 is good quality.
Check with your dealer for frame availability.
You may also find some previous years T520s in stock, made in the USA, double butted tubing, and at a lower price. There is at least one dealer near me that has 2 different 520 sizes in stock.

> Is the frame for the Trek 520 still made in the United
> States? I noticed that Trek's website no longer makes
> that claim. I also noticed that they claim that the frame
> and fork are now triple butted. Is the new triple butted
> frame better than the previous double butted frame? Can
> you comment on the quality of the Trek 520 frame and
> fork? Can Trek dealers get the frameset instead of the
> complete bike?

The TREK 520 frame remains domestic. The double vs triple-
butted terminology is largely a marketing issue; I'm pretty
sure they're using the same TrueTemper tubing they have for
the last several years. It's a very solidly-built and stable
touring frameset that's changed little over the last umpteen
years. Frames, by the way, aren't generally available.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com