Trek 5200 - 2001 any thoughts

jcjordan

New Member
Apr 5, 2004
I have just picked up a used (only ever so slightly) frame, fork and head set (original crane creek) all for the low price of $800 Australian. I turns out that it has been siting around in a shop after the original owner used all the parts of it on a newer frame and the shop took it in as a trade in. Its in near perfect condition with just a couple of small marks that you would put on any bike after a couple of months of use. :)

Now all I have to do is strip my 1500 to fit out my new bike. :D

Just wondering if anyone else has had this frame and could tell me what they think.

I am also thinking about replacing the handlebars and stem, any recomendations. I was looking at a Deda 215 for the bars and a light stem to go with it.

On Jan 25, 2:59 am, jcjordan
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have just picked up a used (only ever so slightly) frame, fork and
> head set (original crane creek) all for the low price of $800
> Australian. I turns out that it has been siting around in a shop after
> the original owner used all the parts of it on a newer frame and the
> shop took it in as a trade in. Its in near perfect condition with just
> a couple of small marks that you would put on any bike after a couple of
> months of use. :)
>
> Now all I have to do is strip my 1500 to fit out my new bike. :D
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has had this frame and could tell me what
> they think.
>
> I am also thinking about replacing the handlebars and stem, any
> recomendations. I was looking at a Deda 215 for the bars and a light
> stem to go with it.
>
> --
> jcjordan

That's a great deal on that frame/fork. I have owned 2 bikes of that
model and liked them both quite well. It's the 120 Carbon OCLV, so
it's not going to be the lightest frame possible, but it should give
you plenty of life and still build up into a great rig.

On Jan 25, 9:59 pm, jcjordan <jcjordan.2ky...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I have just picked up a used (only ever so slightly) frame, fork and
> head set (original crane creek) all for the low price of $800
> Australian. I turns out that it has been siting around in a shop after
> the original owner used all the parts of it on a newer frame and the
> shop took it in as a trade in. Its in near perfect condition with just
> a couple of small marks that you would put on any bike after a couple of
> months of use. :)
>
> Now all I have to do is strip my 1500 to fit out my new bike. :D
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has had this frame and could tell me what
> they think.

I have an '05 Madone 5.2, which is essentially the same bike. Be
careful when you put it together not to lose the metal disk that goes
around the bottom bracket. It looks like this :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galleries/20050803-newbike/DSCF4207.html

That's not a very good photo of it, it's a thin metal disk that goes
between the BB shell and the BB mating surface, it protects the BB
should you ever drop a chain inboard. If you don't have that part,
get one from your local Trek dealer. You can also get a hollow BB
shell cable guide retaining bolt, which allows the frame to drain, or
it will fill up with water. Not all the OCLV Treks have the hollow
bolt, it's worth having.

Around the few marks you saw, give the frame a tap with a coin or
something, it should sound the same as the rest of the bike (within
reason, the BB shell won't sound the same as the seat stays!). This
will give you a pretty good idea for if the frame is damaged more than
cosmetically. Trek have a 'carbon guarantee' of sorts which means if
the frame is damaged by your own mistake, they'll replace it at a
significant discount (similar to a lot of helmet's crash-guarantees).
This is above & beyond the lifetime warranty on the frame.

You should find that the frame will last essentially 'forever', CF
composites (if made properly) have an infinite fatigue life. Ie: it
won't ever 'go soft' etc.

> I am also thinking about replacing the handlebars and stem, any
> recomendations. I was looking at a Deda 215 for the bars and a light
> stem to go with it.

What fits and is comfortable?

Bleve writes -

> You should find that the frame will last essentially 'forever', CF
> composites (if made properly) have an infinite fatigue life. Ie: it
> won't ever 'go soft' etc.

Beg to differ as to longevity, especially with a rider over 80-85kg.

All the long time riders in my club who are over that weight are into their
second or later OCLV frames; usually failed at the bottom bracket, which is
I guess where you would expect it to fail given the stresses that structure
has to bear.

Not a rant against Trek (they are pretty good at honouring their lifetime
warranties) and they are a great ride between warranty claims, and with all
that I would still buy another one.

Nor is it confined to one brand - have seen that in Olmo and Ciocch alum
alloy frames as well which surprised me - its more a function of weight of
rider, amount of usage and stress the rider can repeatedly apply than brand
of bike or material of construction.

But on Sydney roads, with Clydesdale class riders, that is my observation of
OCLV frames - ie they will fail after a lot of hard work.

Trick for the OP is the lifetime Trek warranty is that it is only good for
the original purchaser with a receipt - I suggest that will be a relevant
consideration.

That old adage of you can have any two (but only two) of longevity, value
for money or lightness in a road bike frame still applies imho.

Andrew "nothing is forever" Price

On Jan 31, 9:04 pm, "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bleve writes -
>
> > You should find that the frame will last essentially 'forever', CF
> > composites (if made properly) have an infinite fatigue life. Ie: it
> > won't ever 'go soft' etc.

> Beg to differ as to longevity, especially with a rider over 80-85kg.

I'm 98kg at the moment, I'll let you know if mine ever breaks.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jan 31, 9:04 pm, "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bleve writes -
>>
>> > You should find that the frame will last essentially 'forever', CF
>> > composites (if made properly) have an infinite fatigue life. Ie: it
>> > won't ever 'go soft' etc.

>> Beg to differ as to longevity, especially with a rider over 80-85kg.

> I'm 98kg at the moment, I'll let you know if mine ever breaks.

my mate is on his third 5200 frame and he's about that weight. All failed
near the BB I'm pretty sure. All handled with the lifetime guarantee
luckily.

Adam

Bleve said:
I have an '05 Madone 5.2, which is essentially the same bike. Be
careful when you put it together not to lose the metal disk that goes
around the bottom bracket.

It actually came with the disk thankfully.

Bleve said:
You can also get a hollow BB
shell cable guide retaining bolt, which allows the frame to drain, or
it will fill up with water. Not all the OCLV Treks have the hollow
bolt, it's worth having.

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the guys at my LBS and they said the same thing and have ordered one for me

Bleve said:
Around the few marks you saw, give the frame a tap with a coin or
something, it should sound the same as the rest of the bike (within
reason, the BB shell won't sound the same as the seat stays!). This
will give you a pretty good idea for if the frame is damaged more than
cosmetically. Trek have a 'carbon guarantee' of sorts which means if
the frame is damaged by your own mistake, they'll replace it at a
significant discount (similar to a lot of helmet's crash-guarantees).
This is above & beyond the lifetime warranty on the frame.

Had the guys at the LBS have a look over the frame and they seem satisfied that there were not problems with the carbon and said the same as you that although during the period of 01-03 Trek paint jobs on the carbon frames were a bit lacking, the frames were among the best around.

On Jan 31, 10:46 pm, jcjordan <jcjordan.2lb...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > I have an '05 Madone 5.2, which is essentially the same bike. Be
> > careful when you put it together not to lose the metal disk that goes
> > around the bottom bracket.

> It actually came with the disk thankfully.
>
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > You can also get a hollow BB
> > shell cable guide retaining bolt, which allows the frame to drain, or
> > it will fill up with water. Not all the OCLV Treks have the hollow
> > bolt, it's worth having.

> Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the guys at my LBS and they said the
> same thing and have ordered one for me
>
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > Around the few marks you saw, give the frame a tap with a coin or
> > something, it should sound the same as the rest of the bike (within
> > reason, the BB shell won't sound the same as the seat stays!). This
> > will give you a pretty good idea for if the frame is damaged more than
> > cosmetically. Trek have a 'carbon guarantee' of sorts which means if
> > the frame is damaged by your own mistake, they'll replace it at a
> > significant discount (similar to a lot of helmet's crash-guarantees).
> > This is above & beyond the lifetime warranty on the frame.

> Had the guys at the LBS have a look over the frame and they seem
> satisfied that there were not problems with the carbon and said the
> same as you that although during the period of 01-03 Trek paint jobs on
> the carbon frames were a bit lacking, the frames were among the best
> around.
>
> --
> jcjordan

My team rides Trek and the elites get new frames every year and pass
them down to the more junior riders. There are guys still riding hard
and racing on frames from the late 90s without any issues. Of the
~100 frames we've been through (our team has 120 members), I can only
think of 2 that had warrantee issues - both with the rear dropout glue
coming undone, but those were found quickly and repaired. I've never
seen a BB issue. Crash damage is another story, but they will repair
that as well at a good price.

Andrew F Martin said:
My team rides Trek and the elites get new frames every year and pass
them down to the more junior riders. There are guys still riding hard
and racing on frames from the late 90s without any issues. Of the
~100 frames we've been through (our team has 120 members), I can only
think of 2 that had warrantee issues - both with the rear dropout glue
coming undone, but those were found quickly and repaired. I've never
seen a BB issue. Crash damage is another story, but they will repair
that as well at a good price.[/QUOTE

Trek is a fairly popular brand with the vets as well, especially the current 5.2 and 5.9, along with Giant they would make up 80% of the bikes.

So far only one person had a problem with a Trek and the distributer told the shop to just do a one for one swap as the bike was only 2 weeks old. We have had a few more with Giant, but no problems their as well.

There is some fear that Giant will start enforcing the clause in the warrenty in regards to not replacing or fixing a bike if used to train to race or race, but so far this has not been a problem.