Trek 5200 or Calfee Luna Pro

LJB

Oct 9, 2003
Anyone have any opinions as to how these two bike frames compare to each other?

Originally posted by LJB
Anyone have any opinions as to how these two bike frames compare to each other?
They're both great; one is vanilla and mellow-riding, the other is sexy, elegant and offers a touch more feedback -- one's the ubiquitous product of a corporate juggernaut; the other is the handcrafted (albeit pricier?) roadster of a legendary carbon craftsman.

(take with a grain of salt; I'm compiling second-hand knowledge, personal uneducated opinion and a hunch)

;)

Originally posted by lokstah

(take with a grain of salt; I'm compiling second-hand knowledge, personal uneducated opinion and a hunch)

;)
AKA, alot of hooey.

Kestrel Talon!!! Just got me a yellow one...probably the last new frame ... can do both road and TT..and cheaper than both 5200 and Calfee

My co-worker uses a Luna Pro as her daily ride and race day bike; she loves it. She describes is as stiff and lively, and comfortable -- all the things that anyone will say about any nice bike, including most folks who ride the 5200. Trek OCLV framesare often described as being a touch more "dead" in terms of road feel than other high-end carbon rigs, which is difficult to substantiate, but worth taking into consideration.

Beyond that, I don't think you'll find many remarkable points of comparison unless you get some miles on each. Ultimately, as you probably know if you're considering them both, they're both well-built, top-quality machines, and the deciding factor will be as much about personal preference as anything else.

Speaking purely on style points, which do matter where all else is equal (or close to equal), the Calfee wins by a landslide in my book!

Have fun chosing. Hopefully someone who's ridden both will turn up with some comments...

Have fun chosing. Hopefully someone who's ridden both will turn up with some comments...
Yeah,but that still won't tell him how he might like/dislike either one. Want to know,go ride them.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Yeah,but that still won't tell him how he might like/dislike either one. Want to know,go ride them.
It's been stated a million times; he knows it, I know it, you know it. That doesn't preclude us from having a little friendly conversation and sharing experiences. That's what the forums are for; that's about all they're for.

After all, he can't test ride the bikes on his PC, can he?

...and sharing experiences.
You have actually ridden either? Have any real knowledge of either, other than that one is the alleged 'ubiquitous product of a corporate juggernaut', whatever that means or might imply?

Originally posted by boudreaux
You have actually ridden either? Have any real knowledge of either, other than that one is the alleged 'ubiquitous product of a corporate juggernaut', whatever that means or might imply?
I've already offered the disclaimer that my experience with these two bikes is limited, and in light of that, I reserve the right to 1) share what I've learned about them annecdotally, 2) share the experiences of my friends, and 3) engage in friendly conversation with other forum members about bikes. Also, take note that where you've quoted me above, in respect to "experieces," I was referring specifically to comments from other members, who possibly have logged miles on these frames (not that you'd afford them much respect either).

In any case, LJB deserves the benefit of the doubt in assuming that he's not a feeble-minded case incapable of assigning appropriate value to different levels of annecdotal, second-hand, direct or personal experience. He's not an idiot; he knows what I've said. Until I beat you out for a major publishing contract to write a book about a frame I've never ridden, it's not your place to rudely undercut what I'm sharing with LJB.

Why the need to treat other members with such little respect?

You're obviously a well-informed cyclist with helpful information to share, which is why I find your tendency to simply be an impolite, abrasive jerk most of the time a real shame.

I've already offered He's not an idiot; he knows what I've said.
My sincere apologies. Maybe I'm the idiot. Still tryng to figure out what you said,what to do with it in any real context, and where to file it. Maybe under H? Unfortunate that you don't get my drift. Regards,B

Hey kids, if you don't stop fighting I'll stop the car. Seriously, I'm just looking for some feedback, first party experience or hearsay is OK. I'm just wondering whether I can get what I want from a "stock" bike (the 5200) or whether the extra few hundred for a custom frame is the way to go. I've ridden the Calfee and really enjoyed the ride. I expect to be able to ride a 5200 as well, and then I'll have a basis of comparison.

Originally posted by LJB
Hey kids, if you don't stop fighting I'll stop the car. Seriously, I'm just looking for some feedback, first party experience or hearsay is OK. I'm just wondering whether I can get what I want from a "stock" bike (the 5200) or whether the extra few hundred for a custom frame is the way to go. I've ridden the Calfee and really enjoyed the ride. I expect to be able to ride a 5200 as well, and then I'll have a basis of comparison.
Sorry for wasting thread space tussling -- I hope the limited info I did provide was of some help. You're in good shape having ridden a Calfee already; I'd think that would be the harder one to come by. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a Trek dealer.

Not sure if you saw it, but the current November issue of Bicycling has a glowing one page review of the 5200.

Good luck!

Not sure if you saw it, but the current November issue of Bicycling has a glowing one page review of the 5200.

Good luck!
Bicycling is a comic book full of drivel and written by people that should know beter.. They find good to say even about the worst junk. Nevertheless, the Trek OCLVs are a time proven product that that works for many riders. Whether it fits any particular indivudals pistol or not is another matter. Riding the two is the only way to know. And, custom is often only worth it if one really needs custom, to get correct fit. Trek now has the 'Project One' for anyone looking for something abit different.

Bicycling is a trashy magazine, agreed. The last thing I need to know when I want to get up on the sport is how acceptable a recovery snack a waffle can be.