Trek 5200 Vs. 5000

irlrugby83

Aug 10, 2004
Hey i was intrested in gettin a new trek 5200 or 5000, i want to know what you guys though would be the better by for the money and if there is a noticalble difference. The 5200 dose come stock w/ all ultegra componets, while the 5000 has most ultegra but mixed in with some 105's. would this be a big difference are the 105's bad? also the 5200 comes with upgraded bontrager wheels, seat post...

So basicaly the frames are the same and the componets are a little different, what do u guys think would be the best buy an why?

Thanks

irlrugby83 said:
Hey i was intrested in gettin a new trek 5200 or 5000, i want to know what you guys though would be the better by for the money and if there is a noticalble difference. The 5200 dose come stock w/ all ultegra componets, while the 5000 has most ultegra but mixed in with some 105's. would this be a big difference are the 105's bad? also the 5200 comes with upgraded bontrager wheels, seat post...

So basicaly the frames are the same and the componets are a little different, what do u guys think would be the best buy an why?
A 5000 is good enough for most.Don't buy it and start upgrading.

Look around. I was looking at both bikes until I found a 5200 on sale for under $2000! Check for a store with a lot of Madone 5.2s rolling in, so they will most likely have to discount the 2004's. On a side note, I had such a horrible experience with the dealer I initially purchased my 5200 from that, after confimring that another bike shop would match the price, I demanded a refund and got it! I guess they didn't think I was worth their time since I was only buying a $2,000 bike!

jtk said:
Look around. I was looking at both bikes until I found a 5200 on sale for under $2000! Check for a store with a lot of Madone 5.2s rolling in, so they will most likely have to discount the 2004's. On a side note, I had such a horrible experience with the dealer I initially purchased my 5200 from that, after confimring that another bike shop would match the price, I demanded a refund and got it! I guess they didn't think I was worth their time since I was only buying a $2,000 bike!

Touche!

How do you like that 5200? I'm looking at these now. I read one review about shimano ultegra, and the guy said the shifter didn't work as well after 3000 miles. I don't remember if he was talking about the front or back. He said he replaced cable and had it serviced, but it was never as good as the first 3000 miles. He checked around with bike shops, and they said this was not an isolated problem. They run great until they've had moderate wear. The review was on the 6500 ultegra series. Is this what's on the 5200? I notice they say ultegra 600, but I'm wondering if that's one of this series or if that's something else.

irlrugby83 said:

Thanks
I just bought a 5000 last month all I can say it is one great bike. I didn't buy it to race so the super light wheels and tires were no an issue. The smoothness of the ride is what sold me on the bike. The 105 brakes seem to work just fine. I did upgrade the 105 front derailer to ultegra but $30 later I didn't see much difference in shifting. The ride should be the same, they do share the same frame. All I can say is take them both for a ride and see if you think the 5200 is worth the extra $500. I didn't think so. I took the $500 I didn't spend and bought a couple pair of shorts and plan to buy a trainer in the near future. Winter is going to be here before you know it. What a terrible thought.:(

Good Luck