Trek 5200 vs Specialized S-Works Tarmac

rpjk2000

Aug 15, 2006
I currently own a 2006 Trek 5200 and I am getting bored with it. I have kind of fell in love with the look of the Specialized S-Works Tarmac. If I were to go from the trek 5200 to the Specialized S Works would I notice that big a difference in ride and speed?

Speed? no. Ride, find an LBS with a Tarmac (may be hard to do it on the s-works model) and see if it's for you.

rpjk2000 said:
I currently own a 2006 Trek 5200 and I am getting bored with it. I have kind of fell in love with the look of the Specialized S-Works Tarmac. If I were to go from the trek 5200 to the Specialized S Works would I notice that big a difference in ride and speed?

I currently own (and ride) a 1992 Trek 5200 and I, too, am getting bored with it. I, too, fell in love with the look of that S-Works Tarmac SL SRAM on last month's cover of Bicycling Magazine, but I'd hardly consider dropping $5.5 (DA version) to $7K on a bike without taking a mighty good test ride (of many bikes).

How many miles do you ride a year? What's your height/weight? Do you race? Do you crash when you race (or at all)? Is there a reason that the lowly Specialized Tarmac wouldn't suit your needs just fine?

If you have money to burn, just go buy it. If not, well, then at >$5.5K, you may have a problem...

Is one of those steel?

If I were to drop that kind of dough, it would have to be for an Independent Fabrications. :)

Personally, if I had $5.5 k to blow, it would be on a Parlee. They reviewed one in Bicycling (I forget which month it was but it is the one with the Specialized on the cover). The reviewer raves about it. In fact, our team director went to Interbike and talked to them about their bikes. They are 100% custom to you. You give them all the specs (for your bike fit) and they will measure it out EXACT.

Now that's what a bike company really is!

There are a lot of custom bike builders, it's not like Parlee is unique in that regard. The bike that dude tested was somewhere north of $10,000... Of course it's going to feel great if it's custom built and has top-of-the-line everything on it.

If you're going custom, I'd just find a local builder with a good reputation. That way at least you can meet the person who will build your frame. And the best thing is that you should be able to build up an excellent bike from a custom frame for somewhere around $3000. So why support some mega company in Waterloo or Morgan Hill? Or even Sommerville?

FreeHueco said:
There are a lot of custom bike builders, it's not like Parlee is unique in that regard. The bike that dude tested was somewhere north of $10,000... Of course it's going to feel great if it's custom built and has top-of-the-line everything on it.

If you're going custom, I'd just find a local builder with a good reputation. That way at least you can meet the person who will build your frame. And the best thing is that you should be able to build up an excellent bike from a custom frame for somewhere around $3000. So why support some mega company in Waterloo or Morgan Hill? Or even Sommerville?
it is a used specialized frame set that i can build up. it is under 2 grand for the framset and fork. so i am not spending 5500 on the bike

I do not race but I do go out on very competitive group rides. Last year I rode 2,500 miles from May till the end of the year. My height is 5'10" and I weight 160 lbs. Knock on wood, I have never crashed. The frame set I am looking at is a used 2006 specialized s-works tarmac that I can build up. I could get it for about $1,500, just the frameset, fork, handle bars.

warnerjh said:
I currently own (and ride) a 1992 Trek 5200 and I, too, am getting bored with it. I, too, fell in love with the look of that S-Works Tarmac SL SRAM on last month's cover of Bicycling Magazine, but I'd hardly consider dropping $5.5 (DA version) to $7K on a bike without taking a mighty good test ride (of many bikes).

How many miles do you ride a year? What's your height/weight? Do you race? Do you crash when you race (or at all)? Is there a reason that the lowly Specialized Tarmac wouldn't suit your needs just fine?

If you have money to burn, just go buy it. If not, well, then at >$5.5K, you may have a problem...

rudycyclist said:
Personally, if I had $5.5 k to blow, it would be on a Parlee. They reviewed one in Bicycling (I forget which month it was but it is the one with the Specialized on the cover). The reviewer raves about it. In fact, our team director went to Interbike and talked to them about their bikes. They are 100% custom to you. You give them all the specs (for your bike fit) and they will measure it out EXACT.

Now that's what a bike company really is!
Bicycling magazine raves about everything.

rpjk2000 said:
it is a used specialized frame set that i can build up. it is under 2 grand for the framset and fork. so i am not spending 5500 on the bike

As long as the frame fits you...

I ordered a custom frame from our esteemed local builder (Rock Lobster), and am currently enduring the (seemingly) long wait for it. The cost on the frame was $1100 (also the same price for aluminum). My fork was $300. So that's $1400 for a frame and a fork. Custom... But hey, Specialized does make decent bikes...