Trek 5900 2003 Special fork & headset

bobv

Guest
I have found for sale a slightly used Trek 5900 (OCLV110) frame with no headset
or fork. After a little research, I find that this model uses a special fork
and headset. Is this a major problem? Where do I find the correct components?
Is this frame something I want to buy?

Thanks, Bob

>I have found for sale a slightly used Trek 5900 (OCLV110) frame with no
>headset
> or fork. After a little research, I find that this model uses a special
> fork
> and headset. Is this a major problem? Where do I find the correct
> components?
> Is this frame something I want to buy?
>
> Thanks, Bob

Bob: If it takes the proprietary fork & lower headset, there are no options
other than to get a new fork from Trek for it. But no headset? That could be
a real problem, because it's *not* made to be removed. The lower cup is
semi-permanently bonded into the head tube (I say "semi" because obviously
they can be removed, but the process of doing so often causes damage to the
frame).

It sounds like you're looking at a bike that somebody decided to try to
convert to a normal headset, discovered that it can't be, and did a number
on the frame in the process. I'd be wary of it. Too bad, because otherwise
it's a great frame. I have a 2001 (first year) 5900, and it's been an
awesome bike, even with the proprietary headset and fork.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike

Thanks for the info. It has saved me some money and problems.

Bob