Trek 5900 Superlight 2001 Headset Maintenance

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by plp_74, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. plp_74

    plp_74 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2004
    I'm thinking about getting a used Trek 5900 Superlight frameset, 2001 model, to replace my current frame which is too small. I love how the frame looks, and I hear it rides great, but I've also heard that the fork and lower headset assembly is proprietary, the latter being bonded to the frame. Is this true? How difficult is it to get service or replacement parts (fork?) for this rig? Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

    Tags:

  2. Clarke White

    Clarke White Guest

    > I'm thinking about getting a used Trek 5900 Superlight frameset, 2001 model, to replace my current
    > frame which is too small. I love how the frame looks, and I hear it rides great, but I've also
    > heard that the fork and lower headset assembly is proprietary, the latter being bonded to the
    > frame. Is this true? How difficult is it to get service or replacement parts (fork?) for this rig?
    > Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

    The lower cup is proprietary and is bonded into the frame. The fork is also proprietary and has a
    larger than normal crown race seat. Replacing the bearing is a simple matter and readily available.
    The only "disadvantage" to this system is if you want to use an aftermarket headset or fork
    fahgetaboutit.

    Clarke
    www.clarkecycles.com

  3. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:34:57 GMT, "Clarke White" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> I'm thinking about getting a used Trek 5900 Superlight frameset, 2001 model, to replace my
    >> current frame which is too small. I love how the frame looks, and I hear it rides great, but I've
    >> also heard that the fork and lower headset assembly is proprietary, the latter being bonded to
    >> the frame. Is this true? How difficult is it to get service or replacement parts (fork?) for this
    >> rig? Thanks very much for any advice you can give.
    >
    >The lower cup is proprietary and is bonded into the frame. The fork is also proprietary and has a
    >larger than normal crown race seat. Replacing the bearing is a simple matter and readily available.
    >The only "disadvantage" to this system is if you want to use an aftermarket headset or fork
    >fahgetaboutit.
    >
    > Clarke
    > www.clarkecycles.com

    Another disadvantage is if the bonded in cup's misaligned. http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-
    1&c2coff=1&q=5900+headset&meta=group%3Drec.bicycles.tech

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/3balv