Trek 5900 Superlight 2004-Tell me about it!

waki

Apr 14, 2003
Any of you guys have ridden this bike or frameset?i think this is the best bike or rather frameset in the world at this moment.save your money from buying those expensive italian frames and the new trek madone 5.9, this 5900 is the best value for $$$$ frameset.

Tell me how many years Lance been riding this Trek 5900 and i betcha' he's riding it again at this years TDF.

BTW i'm planning to get this frame:D

Originally posted by waki
Any of you guys have ridden this bike or frameset?i think this is the best bike or rather frameset in the world at this moment.save your money from buying those expensive italian frames and the new trek madone 5.9, this 5900 is the best value for $$$$ frameset.

Tell me how many years Lance been riding this Trek 5900 and i betcha' he's riding it again at this years TDF.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2004 will be the SECOND year Lance will be riding the Madone 5.9, not the 5900 which he last road in 2002.

Originally posted by jstraw
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2004 will be the SECOND year Lance will be riding the Madone 5.9, not the 5900 which he last road in 2002.
He rode(not road) some 2003 stages on the 5900.

As I said, correct me if I'm wrong...I guess that goes for typing/spelling brain-farts as well.

wow it almost took my breath away, how much does this thing cost just for frame n fork? Its really really sexy almost like having spoiler ...

isn't it just a 5200 frame but a little bit lighter? its price is at $4800 which is very close to that of a Colnago 50 anyway, albeit cheaper.
so you're not really talking about a huge price difference.

Originally posted by Rudy
isn't it just a 5200 frame but a little bit lighter? its price is at $4800 which is very close to that of a Colnago 50 anyway, albeit cheaper.
The 2003 5900 frame was about 6-7 ounces lighter than the 5200, and I believe the 2004 frame is even lighter.

frankly if I was gonna get a Trek OCLV bike, I would get the 5200 at about half the price and later upgrade the parts

If you want to talk "value", I'd have to argue that the Trek 5200 is practically the same bike as the 5900 except about 1.5 pounds heavier and it approaches half the cost! So, I think value is a much better word to use for the 5200. However I'm talking about the entire bikes and not just the frame/fork.

Trek 5900 is one of the high end frameset in the market today at USD2300.00 compare that to those Italian frames not a lower end Trek frames.How much is a colnago c50 or maybe the c40hp and forget bout' comparing it with the Pina Dogma.Hey! we are talking bout' value for money high end frames.Frames that is proven at major Tours with a price tag that suits most end user like most of us.And what about the warranty guys.........Tell me about it! :D

Trek 5900 is one of the high end frameset in the market today at USD2300.00 compare that to those Italian frames not a lower end Trek frames.How much is a colnago c50 or maybe the c40hp and forget bout' comparing it with the Pina Dogma.Hey! we are talking bout' value for money high end frames.Frames that is proven at major Tours with a price tag that suits most end user like most of us.And what about the warranty guys.........Tell me about it! :D

I'm guessing this discussion hasn't gone exactly in the direction that you were hoping. :)

It's definitely true that there are some expensive pro level frames out there. I also know that the 5900 is a well rated frame and since it has been a multi tour winner, it would be hard to give it a bad review. However I don't think it's correct to say that the OCLV 120 is a "lower" model then the OCLV 110. In fact, many of Lance's companions have ridden the OCLV 120 during the tour. George Handcapie always chooses the 120 frame over the 110 for his classics because it handles the roughness of the dirt roads and cobblestones better. So I think it's more correct to call the 120 a "different" Trek frame as opposed to a "lower model".

I actually have concerns that Trek may be taking too much out of the 5900 frame for '04 and hence, making it a bit too fragile. But I don't have much great information to back me up on that hence, I have to clarify that it is simply "my concern". Since the frame is really designed for hilly courses I would view the 5900 more as a "specialized frame" as opposed to Trek's "top model frame".

I have just collected my Project One Trek 5900 in Pave Flambe. This is one awesome bike! I went with the Race X Lite wheels (although the Race *** carbon wheels are lighter they're double the price - Maybe in a few months I'll upgrade?) & a load of other light components. The whole bike on the road is 7.1kg (15.6lb). BTW I put the 9 speed Dura-Ace on it as I don't like the look of the 10 speed. Anyway, the feel of the 110 carbon makes the ride VERY smooth but you really notice the frame doing it's thing when the road goes up...the frame is light & stiff & every bit of energy goes into putting you & the bike at the top of the climb.

I might be biased but the Trek 5900 an awesome ride. I doubt any bike at this price is bad but the OCLV frame looks sexy & when you ride it...WOW!!!! I find it hard to end a ride on this thing - I just want to keep going. It is alot of cash to shell out but I LOVE riding so why not splash out on something I LOVE? I earnt the money I'm spending it :)

Some will say they prefer the Madone, some will prefer the Colnago etc...I love my 5900. We live in a diverse world (which is a good thing) so lets get in the saddle of our prefered bike & do what we bought our bikes to do - RIDE - See you out there :)

Originally posted by Rudy

I was reading cyclingnews and just found out the madone weight
Madone

Frame: 1100g (2.43lb
Fork: 339g (0.75lb)
Total: 1439g (3.17lb)

For the price of USD4800 I feel its a ripped off! The other day I was at my LBS I looked at the Giant Team carbon frame/fork I weight it with integrated headset inc 1260g and only cost USD790.00 I would dare say the madone can't be that good in terms of performance compared to the giants.

But then again some people like the bling bling, some people worked hard for thier money and would like to spend them wisely.

I feel I'm beginning to hate that LA guy since everything involves him we get to pay extra!

Originally posted by skareb
Madone
Total: 1439g (3.17lb)

Giant Team carbon:
1260g
I am not a particular fan of either the Trek or the Giant; however, a lighter bike is not necessarily a better bike. You need to look into the specifics of the design and the fit.
I would buy a Look carbon bike over either of these despite the Look being heavier again.

I'm with you Patch...maybe the Look KG 486, possibly the best looking frame & forkset ever!...but a little heavier than either the madone or the Giant. Of course there's something to be said for the 'pazzazz' of a particular bike. Some of the bike 'snobs' I know, have started referring to any model giants as 'Hyundai's'....LOL,

cheers

Hitchy

Why does everyone always value the Italian frames (or any fraem for that matter) at near MSRP? Who really pays anywhere near that when purchasing a frame?