Trek 6.5 SSL

mcdicka said:
Buying this bike - would you recommend any other instead?

I am buying the 6.9SSL frame (same as 6.5) and building my own. All so i dont have all the Bontrager components and I can therefore have exactly what i want on the bike.

There's a good review of the bike on www.cyclingnews.com though...

Personally, I like to stick with the OCLV 110 just from what I've seen. 3 weeks ago one of my teammates was riding that frame and crashed. He killed the frame. It seems everyone who I know that has crashed on an OCLV 110 frame rather than the OCLV 55 and up frames, the frame was okay. I don't know if it's coincidence or fact that the OCLV 110 frame is stronger (in terms of impact). Just some things I've noticed throughout the past 2 years.

rudycyclist said:
Personally, I like to stick with the OCLV 110 just from what I've seen. 3 weeks ago one of my teammates was riding that frame and crashed. He killed the frame. It seems everyone who I know that has crashed on an OCLV 110 frame rather than the OCLV 55 and up frames, the frame was okay. I don't know if it's coincidence or fact that the OCLV 110 frame is stronger (in terms of impact). Just some things I've noticed throughout the past 2 years.

Its a fair point but its something I would expect with any high end frame. No bike is designed to crash but in the eventuality that it does I would hope his insurance was paid up and that he tried to get another frame through Trek.

I have a 5.2SSL and enjoy the response and ride. Anything higher to me is dura-ace and ounces lighter. When I pay my bills by what I ride rather then the other way around maybe the upgrade would be worth it.

mcdicka said:

The Trek 6.5 SSL is a very nice machine, no doubt. However, in the same price range, you should have a look at and test ride the aluminum/carbon Cannondale Six13 and latest System Six bikes. They're lightweight, incredibly responsive, stiff but smooth riding without the 'jarring' and overall a great package. The stock 'Dales also come with "cooler" parts - FSA, Fizik, etc. Whereas the Trek uses in-house Bontrager parts (not necessarily bad but a bit stodgy looking at that price range). I've rode both bikes and prefer the Cannondale, but that's just me.

mcdicka said:

I think I saw this bike today at Bike Barn in Houston for $5100. I picked it up and it sure was light! It look nice stock too.

But for the same money, I think the CF Cervelo Soloist Team is best! If you want a round tube bike the Cervelo R3 would be better.

Actually, the only Trek bikes I like are the Trel Pilot spa models - for the best commuter bike that fits panniers! Just don't think a 2.1 Pilot spa is worth MSRP $1819. I'd rather pay $1479 clearance prices for one.

Tech72 said:
The Trek 6.5 SSL is a very nice machine, no doubt. However, in the same price range, you should have a look at and test ride the aluminum/carbon Cannondale Six13 and latest System Six bikes. They're lightweight, incredibly responsive, stiff but smooth riding without the 'jarring' and overall a great package. The stock 'Dales also come with "cooler" parts - FSA, Fizik, etc. Whereas the Trek uses in-house Bontrager parts (not necessarily bad but a bit stodgy looking at that price range). I've rode both bikes and prefer the Cannondale, but that's just me.
I agree with everything Tech72 wrote. I love my Six13.

vascdoc said:
I agree with everything Tech72 wrote. I love my Six13.
Just personal opinion, but I'd pick something else in this elevated price range. Trek and Bontrager stuff is fine, but agree with tech72 that "stodgey" comes to mind.

The LBS Trek dealer here has Orbea's too, which attract me a lot more than the high-end Treks. Actually, for that kind of money, believe I'd go with Lynskey Ti or some other custom frame and get to pick the finish scheme and the component mix .

Wilier Cento record
wilier_cento_1.jpg

I ended up buying a Colnago C50!! I am over the moon, what an amazing bike!! Kitted it out with Record and Chorus groupset. See pick below

P1000685.jpg

dhk2 said:
Just personal opinion, but I'd pick something else in this elevated price range. Trek and Bontrager stuff is fine, but agree with tech72 that "stodgey" comes to mind.

The LBS Trek dealer here has Orbea's too, which attract me a lot more than the high-end Treks. Actually, for that kind of money, believe I'd go with Lynskey Ti or some other custom frame and get to pick the finish scheme and the component mix .

What about Frame Warranty's? Trek offers a lifetime and not many other Manufacturers can match that...? Does that enter in to the equation?

bomber said:
What about Frame Warranty's? Trek offers a lifetime and not many other Manufacturers can match that...? Does that enter in to the equation?
It does if you are purely a social rider who isn't going to put your bike through it paces... If you are riding seriously, which you should be if you are spending that kind of cash, you will require a new bike within 2-4 years - hence the Colnago's four year warranty. As a second point, if you are riding the bike enough and it hasn't broken within four years it probably won't...

bomber said:
Trek has a lifetime warranty on defects in materials and workmanship, not on fatigue, wearout or "normal wear and tear". Believe their written warranty is pretty-much the same as all the other major brands. My LBS Trek dealer told me Trek will normally replace a broken frame in the first year or two, particularly for a fitness rider, but that they can be tougher if the bike's been raced for several seasons by a Cat 1.

Haven't read Colnago's warranty, but if it covers fatigue for four years, it's a strong warranty, IMO. My custom frame came with a three year fatigue warranty, in addition to the usual "lifetime" coverage for defects. The builder sold a lot of frames to racers, was up-front about discussing fatigue life, and even kept broken frames proudly on display at his shop.

mcdicka said:
I ended up buying a Colnago C50!! I am over the moon, what an amazing bike!! Kitted it out with Record and Chorus groupset. See pick below

P1000685.jpg
Nice bike! You sure went from Trek to one of the most exclusive brands in one quick leap. Hope you're able to enjoy it a long time.

Only thing I'd do differently are the wheels. Circuits are a great wheelset, and a great value, but wouldn't Campy (eg, Eurus) would be a better match for the rest of the bike?

Tech72 said:
I tend to agree although I have not tried a Trek in three years. I like the lively feel of the Cannondale Six13. I also love my FSA K-wing handlebars!

bomber said:
Cannondale does as well. Read the fine print - it is a limited lifetime warranty and does not cover wear. It covers manufacturing defects.

dhk2 said:
Nice bike! You sure went from Trek to one of the most exclusive brands in one quick leap. Hope you're able to enjoy it a long time.

Only thing I'd do differently are the wheels. Circuits are a great wheelset, and a great value, but wouldn't Campy (eg, Eurus) would be a better match for the rest of the bike?
Yes I agree Campy would be a better wheelset, I bought the bike without the wheels - just letting my bank balance recover and hoping to match the bike up with Bora wheels

vascdoc said:
I tend to agree although I have not tried a Trek in three years. I like the lively feel of the Cannondale Six13. I also love my FSA K-wing handlebars!
What about the Specialized Tarmac S-Works? In my area, I see many Treks, and a lot of Cannondales, but not so much with the Specialized.