Trek 6000, Avid Juicy 3 Brakes noise

tomb08uk

May 24, 2007
Hi, I have a Trek 6000 '07 Mountain Bike and I have had it for about 3 Months. The front brake (avid juicy 3, hydrallic) seems to be constantly rubbing against the rotor/disc. How can I solve this issue. Also has it rubbing, after riding a while the brakes will intermittently squeak, especially when not pedalling and free rolling.

Any suggestions why, I have taken the wheel out of its forks, cleaned it well and GT85 the bearings but still no due. Makes no difference how tight I do the wheel, still rubs.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

Tom

-Make sure the rotor is not bend.
-Make sure the rotor runs in the centre. Loosen the calipers. Pump the brake lever 4-5 times and then hold tight or tie elastic band around lever and grip. Tighten calipers.
-Make sure you NEVER touch the rotor brake surface with your hands/fingers

Does it rub constantly? You need to align the caliper so that disc is centred in the air gap. Put a white sheet of paper on teh floor as background and look down through the slot at a tangent to the disc. Loosen the post bolts move the caliper slightly so that the disc is centred in the slot and re-tighten carefully.

Possibly you have squeezed the lever while the disc was out of hte calliper, and the pistons may not have gone fully back: Fold two business cards over your disc and push it back in the slot betweenthe pads. Squezze the lever half-a-dozen times. Remove, take off the cards, and put your wheel back in place and you will see the lever travels further before the pads bite due to the increased gap.

Does it rub at some spots on the disc and not others? Your disc has a slight bend. This is very common: a rotor can get a slight warp from the heat build-up in long steep descents, so we all have to straighten our discs occasionally. I have brand-new rotors on one wheelset. Out of the packet they needed straighening before I could ride them.

You can straighten your disc by placing a small 6" adjustable wrench over the edge of the disc and tightening it up so that the smooth jaws are clamped down on the disc face either side. Then bend the disc gently away from the side that rubs at the point it rubs. Spin the wheel while looking thru the slot over the white paper to check whether you have gone too far or not enough. Work you way around the disc until you have it lined up enough so as not to rub anywhere.

Since the discs spring back it takes some practice to judge how far to bend the disc to get the required effect, but with a little practice it is not at all hard to do.

BTW, all discs will squeak at some stage, especially as they're bedding in while new or after a pad change.

j.r.hawkins said:
BTW, all discs will squeak at some stage, especially as they're bedding in while new or after a pad change.
Hi, j r hawkins you have been very useful.

Yes too be honest I did pull the brake lever in when the wheel wasnt on the bike,so puting a piece of cardboard should increase the gap right. How do i adjust the brakes so their further apart from the rotor?

Cheers!

I'm not sure with Avid Juicy 3's. My experience is limited to Hayes Sole and Hayes 9.

My Hayes 9's were an OEM kit, and came shipped with a hard plastic spacer in between the pads to ensure they travelled well. I use this to squeeze between the pads to the get the spacing right if I have a brain fade and bump the lever when I shouldn't. I keep one in the saddle bag for the trail and one in my workshop toolkit.

Juicy three's are 2-pots? My suggestion would be to follow the procedure I outlined above (1 business card isn't quite enough), or refer to the technical manual: http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95.5013.109.000_A%20Juicy%203%205.pdf

Best,

Hawkeye

Juicy 3s are usually specced with Cleansweep rotors I believe...if you happen to have the wavvy rotor, then squeaking is quite common with them...not much can be done as this is just the nature of the rotor.