Trek 7.2 (or better?)

malux

Sep 12, 2009
I'm looking for a daily rider for fitness. I've been riding my mtb (specialized expedition) about 80 or 90 miles a week. The frame is small for me (it's an M frame and I'm 6' tall).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a solid reliable daily rider (i'm looking ot spend 500-600.

The local bike shop has a trek 7.2 hybrid for about $500. Is that a good deal? I heard the front derailleurs have trouble staying in adjustment (and I don't trust quick fire shifters).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you feel comfortable riding it and its the right size, you should be okay. Trek makes a reasonably high quality product in general. At that price though, the competitors will all be very similar, especially when it comes to the components. It does seem sometimes that Trek is one level down in components at the same price as some of the competition. Ultimately your satisfaction with your purchase will probably have more to do with the quality of the dealer you buy it from than the bike at this price-point, especially the quality of the fit. The Shimano components, including derailers Ft and R, at this level are as good as, if not better than, any thing else.

Upstairs to say it right
6.gif

malux said:
The local bike shop has a trek 7.2 hybrid for about $500. Is that a good deal? I heard the front derailleurs have trouble staying in adjustment (and I don't trust quick fire shifters).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Where I work the Trek 7.2 FX is probably our single largest selling model. The front derailleur is no more difficult than any other front derailleur, which is to say it's pretty trouble free once it's properly set up by the shop. And rapid fire shifters are as reliable and sturdy as any other ratcheting shift device. In my opinion, if you want a bike that is easy to use, easy to maintain, and a blast to ride, you can't go wrong with 7- and 8-speed Trek FXs.

In fact, everything on my wife's 7.2 FX still works fine after my daughter's boyfriend grabbed a handful of brake lever and flipped himself over the handlebar. His chin required stitches but the bike was only lightly scratched.