Trek 7.5 FX Disc as Clydesdale road bike?

Casey Miller

Guest
The Rider: 6'5", 300lbs. The 300lbs are staying (rider is more football
player than football). Prefers upright riding position (top-heavy,
suffering hand numbness).

The Job: Go up hills, come down hills. Survive occasional pothole or
knucklehead maneuver. Max ride length: 50 miles.

Immediate upgrades: WHEELS.

Questions:
What's the tire clearance on the 7.5 FX?
How much difference does the disc option make?
What goes into the beefiest $400 wheelset that'll fit on this thing?

>>What's the tire clearance on the 7.5 FX?
How much difference does the disc option make?
What goes into the beefiest $400 wheelset that'll fit on this thing?

Difference on disc option? Do mean clearance do you?
I just bought a GT disc bike. Discs are better brakes and last longer.
Especially good in wet weather. Mud and water do not get near the brake to
damage and decompose. The brake covers more area and gets better grip.
Always clean because the holes on the plate clean it off constantly like on
a car brake system.

At 300 lbs you need good brakes. Be careful going down hills though it just
takes a feather touch. Do not want to be somersaulting down.

Cheers
Also, Trek is a great brand IMHO

> The Rider: 6'5", 300lbs. The 300lbs are staying (rider is more football
> player than football). Prefers upright riding position (top-heavy,
> suffering hand numbness).
>
> The Job: Go up hills, come down hills. Survive occasional pothole or
> knucklehead maneuver. Max ride length: 50 miles.
>
> Immediate upgrades: WHEELS.
>
> Questions:
> What's the tire clearance on the 7.5 FX?
> How much difference does the disc option make?
> What goes into the beefiest $400 wheelset that'll fit on this thing?

If you go for the disc brake version, why upgrade the wheels? The disc
version already has beefier wheels. For tires, certainly no issue going to a
38 or 40c; not sure if you could go to something as wide as a 45, but as
long as you keep the tires fully inflated, you should be fine.

And yes, I'd definitely go for the disc version. Not just for increased
stopping power, but also because any damage you do to the wheels won't
affect braking performance. Do keep in mind that the disc brakes will take
about 100 miles or so to really brake in, and before that won't feel like an
improvement over conventional brakes. But once they do they're wonderful,
and very low maintenance, since they're mechanical, not hydraulic.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> If you go for the disc brake version, why upgrade the wheels? The disc
> version already has beefier wheels. For tires, certainly no issue going to a
> 38 or 40c; not sure if you could go to something as wide as a 45, but as
> long as you keep the tires fully inflated, you should be fine.
>
> And yes, I'd definitely go for the disc version. Not just for increased
> stopping power, but also because any damage you do to the wheels won't
> affect braking performance. Do keep in mind that the disc brakes will take
> about 100 miles or so to really brake in, and before that won't feel like an
> improvement over conventional brakes. But once they do they're wonderful,
> and very low maintenance, since they're mechanical, not hydraulic.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I contacted Trek tech support about tire clearance on the 7.5, and this
is their reply:

"Thanks for writing. The largest tire that the 7.5 FX could take is a
35c
size tire. Any wider and you have problems with tire rub on the frame."

No word on the clearance difference between the canty and disc
versions. I'd be tempted to just SEE if 37s or 38s would work; 35 seems
kinda conservative.

> I contacted Trek tech support about tire clearance on the 7.5, and this
> is their reply:
>
> "Thanks for writing. The largest tire that the 7.5 FX could take is a
> 35c
> size tire. Any wider and you have problems with tire rub on the frame."
>
> No word on the clearance difference between the canty and disc
> versions. I'd be tempted to just SEE if 37s or 38s would work; 35 seems
> kinda conservative.

It's easy enough to check. Just go to the dealer you'll be getting the bike
from, and have them swap in some wheels from a bike with wider tires. You're
not setting the bike up to ride (so it won't take too much time), just
seeing if things fit.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
news:[email protected]...

Casey Miller wrote:
> The Rider: 6'5", 300lbs. The 300lbs are staying (rider is more football
> player than football). Prefers upright riding position (top-heavy,
> suffering hand numbness).
>
> The Job: Go up hills, come down hills. Survive occasional pothole or
> knucklehead maneuver. Max ride length: 50 miles.
>
> Immediate upgrades: WHEELS.
>
> Questions:
> What's the tire clearance on the 7.5 FX?
> How much difference does the disc option make?
> What goes into the beefiest $400 wheelset that'll fit on this thing?

At 300lbs disc brakes are a good thing, particularly if there are any
hills or wet weather involved. I'd just go with stock wheels and see if
they break. A 25" 7.5 FX sounds like the perfect bike for this guy. I
used to be 265lbs and I used 32 spoke wheels without problems. If the
wheels die he can get new ones, but they may work fine.

Joseph

PS: If he needs big shoes, Diadora, Lake, and Sidi are the only ones I
know about.

Oh man, don't get me started on shoes. I have size 15 USA feet...

I found a pair of SIDI Bullet 2 MTB shoes in size 50 european, and they
haven't killed my feet yet.

I paired them with some Crank Brothers Candy pedals, and they're
working out very well. They get me up over the hill into Orinda.

Casey Miller wrote:
> Oh man, don't get me started on shoes. I have size 15 USA feet...
>
> I found a pair of SIDI Bullet 2 MTB shoes in size 50 european, and they
> haven't killed my feet yet.
>
> I paired them with some Crank Brothers Candy pedals, and they're
> working out very well. They get me up over the hill into Orinda.

Size 15 Nike fit me like a glove. I use Diadora Geko MTB size 50 and
they are perfect. Sidi are too narrow for me, even in their so-called
Mega versions. I have not tried any Lake, but someone measured some
size 50's for me and they seemed like they would be too big!

If the Sidi's aren't quite right for you, have a look at the Diadora.
The soles aren't as stiff as the Sidi, but overall, I think they are
great shoes. And they fit!

I also have some size 50 Diadora Geko Road shoes, but they are smaller
than the MTB version, and a little too narrow for me.

Joseph