Trek 7.5 FX or 7.5 FX DISC?

grindr82

Sep 4, 2011
Hello Everyone.

I am new to the road cycling community and I have only basic knowledge of bicycles. I already own a Trek 7.2FX, but as I have gotten more into cycling I would like to upgrade to the 7.5 FX because of the nicer components and such. I would like to know what the major difference in stopping power is between a disc or non disc brake bike?

I live in the an area with out many hills only some different road grades, most of them are gradual at that.

I would appreciate any advice

Thank You.

Disc brakes do have much superior stopping power than traditional rim brakes. With that said, the terrain that you described makes it sound as if the disc brakes would be a little overkill. Also, the disc brakes that come on the 7.5FX Disc are hydraulic disc brakes which require more maintenance than rim brakes or even mechanical disc brakes. After all, fluid does need to be replaced at certain intervals, seals can begin to leak, and you need to be sure that the fluid is at the required level before each ride. The question that you need to ask yourself is "Are disc brakes worth the extra $100 plus the expenses associated with maintaining them?" One consideration is that you might want to take a trip in the future to an area that is not so flat or that you might begin riding more technical routes that would require more stopping power.

Thank You for the input I appreciate it, I was completely unaware of the disc brakes being hydraulic....definitely something I will have to consider before I purchase. I had another question regarding the 7.5 FX. I am interested after the riding I have done around town and on trails in getting front suspension added to either the 7.2 or the 7.5 FX. What type of fork should I be looking for in regard to suspension.

Most suspension forks are either air sprung or coil sprung. The stiffness of the suspension is adjusted on the air sprung forks by adding or releasing air from the air valve. On the coil sprung forks, the stiffness is adjusted by turning the preload knob.

To keep the spring of the forks in control and not bouncing up and down like a pogo stick, they use a damping system. All of the dampers that I have seen are oil dampers. There are two different types of oil dampers, open damper and closed damper. Open dampers use the same volume of oil to lube the slider bushings and stanchions and to flow through the damper to control the compression amd rebound speed of the forks. The closed damper is sealed so that the damper oil is separate from the lubricant used on the slider bushings and stanchions. A closed damper is sealed in the fork and requires less service than the open damper which can become contaminated from any dirt that makes its way past the dust wiper and main oil seal at the top of the slider leg. But when a seal splits or wears out on a closed damper, it is not immediately obvious why the damping ability has been lost. On the open damper, you can see the seals and look for seeping oil without disassembling the fork.

The most important preventive maintenance for a fork, especially an open damper fork, is keeping it clean. Manufacturer's recommendations vary, but most agree that you should inspect your forks for signs of stress and oil weeping before every ride. Generally you should replace the oil and seals after every 50 hours of riding in good conditions, or 25 hours if riding in wet muddy conditions. A complete overhaul including replacement of the seals, wipers, and slider bushings is a good idea after every 200 hours of riding. Of course oil leaks should be repaired as soon as possible before performance suffers.

If you don't want to mess with a fork, consider getting a sprung seatpost. They give you extra comfort without oil filled dampers and all of the maintenance issues that accompany them.

If you still want to go with the suspension fork, the best thing to do is to consult with the sales people at your local Trek store. Trek does make several bikes that have a suspension fork, like the Navigator. They would be the best qualified to help you aquire the fork that you want that will fit your bicycle.