trek 7.6fx 15 or 17 frame

jpham21

May 17, 2010
So i am new to cycling and am not sure what frame size i should get. The 15 frame the height is good but the length felt a little short riding it. The 17 frame when i stand over it. I hit the cross bar but the length felt good riding it. The store told me to go with the 17 but another told me to get the 15 and change the stem and something else to get the stretch. oh yeah my inseam is 29 and 5'5. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

jpham21 said:
So i am new to cycling and am not sure what frame size i should get. The 15 frame the height is good but the length felt a little short riding it. The 17 frame when i stand over it. I hit the cross bar but the length felt good riding it. The store told me to go with the 17 but another told me to get the 15 and change the stem and something else to get the stretch. oh yeah my inseam is 29 and 5'5. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
FWIW. I definitely think you should get the smaller of the two frames ... unless ALL of your planned riding will be on a bike path OR you are only ~14 years old & haven't finished growing.

I got my wife, who stands a somewhat leggy 5'5", a 17" WSD FX (with shorter top tube), and choosing that over the 15" was an arduous decision. But ultimately the right one.

Hitting the top tube is not supposed to happen on these bikes. Get the 15 with the longer stem and be comfortable.