Trek 7200 vs Trek 7300

DaWei

Guest
Hi.

I'm looking to buy a hybrid bike within the next couple months or so,
and am leaning heavily towards the Trek 7200. However I noticed that
the 7300 isn't all that much more expensive. The most recent reviews of
the 7200 at http://roadbikereview.com/ are quite favorable, whereas
there aren't any reviews of the 7300. I was wondering if anyone would
care to share their opinion as to whether or not the extra money for
the 7300 is worth for someone like me- no real bike-riding experience
as an adult, and simply looking for something suitable for leisurely
rides and weight loss. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

David

For the $50 or so more you get better derailleurs and some upgraded
components. Either way you'll enjoy the bike. My fiance' has the 7100
that she bought last year and she loves it. It's not a bike for the
flashy racer crowd but she loves it. Very comfortable and no problems
whatsoever. Just get the right size and adjust everything properly and
you'll be fine

I'm thinking that the extra cash for the 7300 is probably a luxury I
can do without then, particularly considering all of the good things
I've heard about the 7200. Thanks for your feedback!

Enjoy the bike!!!! My only caution would be the wheelset. If you are
particularly large or ride on very rough roads an upgrade there would
be advisable.

Well... I weigh about 270 (and looking to reduce that number
considerably, hence my desire to get a bike), but according to one
reviewer
(http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/hybrid-bike/trek/PRD_291124_5672crx.aspx)
the 7200 is suitable for riders my size. He starts his review with the
following: "First off, I am 6'8" 270lbs. I was looking for a bike to
accomodate my large size and fit my needs. I have always thought that
Trek's were great bikes and considered them to be some of the best
bikes out there. I did some homework and shopping around and found the
Trek 7200 to be the best bike in my price range."

I'm not nearly as tall as that guy (about 5'11.5"), but I figure that's
an indication that it can take my weight, barring ill-advised rides on
really bad roads or, of course, off-road. Any thoughts?

No doubt the frame and such should be fine if youre not making 8 ft.
jumps. Most bike manufacturers tend to skimp on items such as wheels.
It all depends how well they are built. I would enjoy the bike as is
and if wheels go out of true have them adjusted by a good shop and they
may be fine for a while. If they cannot stay true you may have to buy a
heavy duty touring or tandem wheelset. I get the saying "your mileage
may vary"is the case. I was 210 lbs back in '98 when I bount a
Cannondale F400. Wheels were awful. Went out of true by staring hard at
them. Replaced with Sun Rhyno Lite wheels and no problems. Bought a
Lemond raod bike with the paired spoke wheels in '02 and I was 190lbs .
Never have had a problem. I say get the 7200 and enjoy!!!!

Thanks! Following lots of research, including feedback from people on
this site, 'looks like I'll be getting the 7200. :)

DaWei wrote:
> Thanks! Following lots of research, including feedback from people on
> this site, 'looks like I'll be getting the 7200. :)

The concern about the wheels is valid, but the best safeguard against
wheel problems is to make sure the mechanic in the shop where you buy
the bike does a manual preparation of the wheels. Machine-built wheels
are rarely tensioned and stress-relieved properly, since this must be
done my hand. Proper wheel prep can make the difference between wheels
that fail in the first 1000 miles vs wheels that last indefinitely,
especially with larger riders. A wheel doesn't have to be expensive to
last for years, but it does have to be set up properly when new.

RichC

Thanks, the tip is appreciated. That's something to bring up when I go
to the bike shop.