Trek 7500 FX

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Davidson, Apr 9, 2005.

  1. Hello everyone,

    Back in the summer of 1998 I bought a mountain bike having never ridden a
    bike for over 20 years!

    At evening and weekends I'd spend many hours and many miles on that bike.

    I put slick tyres on it and started to commute 30 miles a day, 5 days a
    week. That bike helped me loose 6 stone. It changed my life. I loved it.

    But my work changed, I moved and the commute was no more. My much younger
    nephew borrowed the bike and I never got it back.

    I now want to get back into cycling again, although I won't be using it for
    commuting as it's too far now.

    I'm looking for a hybrid now, with a leaning towards "road bike" rather than
    "mountain bike".

    I'm looking at the Trek 7500 FX hybrid and wondered if anyone had any
    comments or feedback on this bike. Most use will be roads, cycle paths,
    bridle ways etc - no full on off road stuff so I don't need any suspension.

    I done a bit of "Googleing" and I seen nothing but praise for the FX, I've
    been down my LBS and they said same too. I had a look at the 7300 FXS they
    had in stock and that felt great so I'm thinking the 7500FX will do too.

    Thanks for any info it's very much appreciated - I just can't wait get out
    on my bike again!

    Cheers,

    Andy.

    P.S. My non-cycling friends just don't get it! I drool over the Trek
    catalogue and they're like "it's just a bike... a bike's a bike..." They
    don't get it that a bike can change your life...

    Tags:

  2. Random

    Random Guest

    "Andy Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm looking at the Trek 7500 FX hybrid and wondered if anyone had any
    > comments or feedback on this bike. Most use will be roads, cycle paths,
    > bridle ways etc - no full on off road stuff so I don't need any
    > suspension.

    I got the 7300FX last week and I think it's fantastic.

    Compared to my old mountain bike it's so much faster and easier to ride.

    Make sure you push for a discount - The rrp of the 7300FX is £370 but I got
    mine and 35 quids worth of accessories for £360

    p.s - I'm the same when it comes to catalogues - But it's worse when I get
    in a bike shop and start drooling over all the cool components. ;)

  3. "Random" wrote
    > I got the 7300FX last week and I think it's fantastic.

    Thanks for that - it was your original thread that got me looking at the
    Trek FX range!

    I can't wait to see how it compares to my old mountain bike too. Only
    problem is that my LBS is having to order one in and Trek UK are out of
    stock! The next shipment is due in about 6 weeks and I'll find out this
    Monday if I'm due one from that shipment. If they're allready spoken for, I
    don't know what I'll do...

    Roll on Monday... roll on the next 6 weeks!

    Thanks again,

    Andy.

  4. Random

    Random Guest

    Whereabouts are you based? Have no other local Trek dealers got stock?

    "Andy Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Random" wrote
    >> I got the 7300FX last week and I think it's fantastic.

    > Thanks for that - it was your original thread that got me looking at the
    > Trek FX range!
    >
    > I can't wait to see how it compares to my old mountain bike too. Only
    > problem is that my LBS is having to order one in and Trek UK are out of
    > stock! The next shipment is due in about 6 weeks and I'll find out this
    > Monday if I'm due one from that shipment. If they're allready spoken for,
    > don't know what I'll do...
    >
    > Roll on Monday... roll on the next 6 weeks!
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Andy.

  5. "Random" wrote
    > Whereabouts are you based? Have no other local Trek dealers got stock?

    I'm in Dorchester in Dorset just off the south west coast.

    I've phoned around a lot of dealers in the region and none have any stock -
    not that many are Trek dealers either.

    I've got it on order from my LBS "Dorchester Cycles" who are just 10mins
    walk away. They're a great shop and stock loads of Trek stuff... just not a
    7500FX right now! I'd really like to get it from them.

    If I can get one from them from the next shipment, then the 6 weeks won't be
    too bad... but if they are spoken (I'll find out Monday) for I'll maybe have
    to look further a field...

    Where did you get your 7300FX? I wonder if they had any 7500FX in stock too?

    Cheers,

    Andy.

    P.S. Are you planning to change any of the components on the 7300FX? I'll
    probably put some bar ends on the 7500FX to give it a bit more variety in
    riding position...

  6. Random

    Random Guest

    "Andy Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Where did you get your 7300FX? I wonder if they had any 7500FX in stock
    > too?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > P.S. Are you planning to change any of the components on the 7300FX? I'll
    > probably put some bar ends on the 7500FX to give it a bit more variety in
    > riding position...

    I got mine at "Buy A Bike" (also known as Charnock Richard Cycles)

    http://www.buyabikedirect.co.uk/

    I've put lights, computer, bottle cage and lock on it but that's hardly a
    modification.
    Only changes I might consider at the moment is like yourself, bar ends.

  7. Random

    Random Guest

    "Random" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Andy Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Where did you get your 7300FX? I wonder if they had any 7500FX in stock
    >> too?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Andy.
    >>
    >> P.S. Are you planning to change any of the components on the 7300FX? I'll
    >> probably put some bar ends on the 7500FX to give it a bit more variety in
    >> riding position...

    After today I might consider a rear mudguard. My back was quite bit spotty
    when I got back as there was a lot of mud about on the trails.

    I didn't seem to get too much coming up from the front wheel - Just the
    back. Is this usual or is it a case that the mud flies forwards of the wheel
    so it misses?

  8. "Random" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].pipex.com...

    > After today I might consider a rear mudguard. My back was quite bit spotty
    > when I got back as there was a lot of mud about on the trails.
    >
    > I didn't seem to get too much coming up from the front wheel - Just the
    > back. Is this usual or is it a case that the mud flies forwards of the

    wheel
    > so it misses?

    You're right, the mud flies forward of the wheel, so a rear mudguard might
    be sufficient.

    LBS ordered my 7500FX from Trek UK today so I should have it sometime around
    the end of May!

    Cheers Andy.

  9. Random

    Random Guest

    "Andy Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > LBS ordered my 7500FX from Trek UK today so I should have it sometime
    > around
    > the end of May!
    >
    > Cheers Andy.

    Good news - Now all you need to do is watch everyone else on a bike and feel
    envious for 6 weeks !

    Happy riding (when it arrives)