Trek 7700 vs. Gary Fisher Fast City

Ken Ramirez

Guest
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes anyway (please let me know
if there is another group I should be posting this to).

I considering buying a new bike and have narrowed it down to two bikes:

1. Trek - 7700

2. Gary Fisher - Fast City

I've been told that the Gary Fisher is built better than the Trek (even though they're both built by
the same company). I've been told that the Gary Fisher is like the a Lexus compared to the Toyota
(meaning the Trek).

Has any one had any experiences or knowledge of these two bikes that you can possibly share with me?

Thanks,

Ken

"Ken Ramirez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes anyway (please let me
> know if there is another group I should be posting this to).
>
> I considering buying a new bike and have narrowed it down to two bikes:
>
> 1. Trek - 7700
>
> 2. Gary Fisher - Fast City
>
> I've been told that the Gary Fisher is built better than the Trek (even though they're both built
> by the same company). I've been told that the
Gary
> Fisher is like the a Lexus compared to the Toyota (meaning the Trek).
>
> Has any one had any experiences or knowledge of these two bikes that you
can
> possibly share with me?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ken

I would only say hybrids are a waste, although I have only road one once. If you do any trail riding
at all, get a full-spec mountain bike. You can always throw some slicks on your MTB and cruise town
(or in style with the knobbies). But putting a 2.3" Continental on your city bike is only hilarious
in concept. Ever heard the quote, can't have your pie and eat it too? The geometry on hybrid bikes,
combined with the fork and wheels aren't going to allow you to expand when you realize how awesome
XC riding is, so go with the MB. I have a Trek 6700 and I can tell you the geometry and frame are
great for the $800 price tag, but the Bontrager components (the seat post that always slips) have to
go. Plus they could do better with the fork and drivetrain with all that money IMO. That's my $.02.

Ken Ramirez wrote:

> I've been told that the Gary Fisher is built better than the Trek (even though they're both built
> by the same company). I've been told that the Gary Fisher is like the a Lexus compared to the
> Toyota (meaning the Trek).

Right... <G>

Pick the one you like better, they're very close. Although I don't know if I'd trust a dealer that
made the statement above.

Barry