Trek 7700 w/disc brakes?



Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asahitoro

Guest
Is it possible with the stock rims/hubs/forks on the 2003 model? The brakes I'm considering are the
Shimano Deore BR-M515 mechanical disc setups. I can get them for a good price so I'd like to upgrade
over the stock Avid V brakes if it is possible. Thanks for any help,

Scott
 
R

Russell

Guest
[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Is it possible with the stock rims/hubs/forks on the 2003 model? The brakes I'm considering are
> the Shimano Deore BR-M515 mechanical disc setups. I can get them for a good price so I'd like to
> upgrade over the stock Avid V brakes if it is possible. Thanks for any help,
>
> Scott

Judging by what is on Trek own website, no. Not only does the bike not have disc-compatible wheels,
the frame itself doesn't have a mount for the brake, so at most you could only run a front disc.

Russell
 
M

Mike Jacoubowsk

Guest
Scott: Don't think you can run a disc brake on the rear of the frame, and the hubs are definitely
not disc compatible. Not sure what they'd gain you either, unless you plan to ride a lot in the rain
and much; the only real advantage I see to disc brakes is that you won't grind your pads and rim
sidewalls away, and that's more of an issue for a mountain bike than a hybrid.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Is it possible with the stock rims/hubs/forks on the 2003 model? The brakes I'm considering are
> the Shimano Deore BR-M515 mechanical disc setups. I can get them for a good price so I'd like to
> upgrade over the stock Avid V brakes if it is possible. Thanks for any help,
>
> Scott
 
A

asahitoro

Guest
Thanks for the replies,

The 7700 comes fairly loaded up except for the brakes. I don't really need disc brakes but the cost
difference that I could get over good v-brakes was small so I thought it would be a nice upgrade.
The levers that come with the 7700 are XT so I'll just get some XT V-brakes. Everything else on the
bike is XT, wonder why they skipped that on the brakes? Thanks again for the input,

Scott

In article <[email protected]>, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Scott: Don't think you can run a disc brake on the rear of the frame, and the hubs are definitely
> not disc compatible. Not sure what they'd gain you either, unless you plan to ride a lot in the
> rain and much; the only real advantage I see to disc brakes is that you won't grind your pads and
> rim sidewalls away, and that's more of an issue for a mountain bike than a hybrid.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Is it possible with the stock rims/hubs/forks on the 2003 model? The brakes I'm considering are
> > the Shimano Deore BR-M515 mechanical disc setups. I can get them for a good price so I'd like to
> > upgrade over the stock Avid V brakes if it is possible. Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Scott
 
M

Mike Jacoubowsk

Guest
> Everything else on the bike is XT, wonder why they skipped that on the brakes? Thanks again for
> the input,

To hit a price point, and because the difference in performance between an XT and non-Shimano
linear-pull brakes is almost nonexistent. In fact, there are more squeaking issues with XTs (and the
other "parallel push" brakes made by Shimano) that with the more ordinary types.

You can spend the money to upgrade the brakes, but you'll be primarily upgrading the name on the
component, not the performance. Linear-pull (or "V") brakes work very well pretty much across
the board.

I'd spend the extra money on some really nice cycling shorts or shoe/pedal system (assuming you're
not already set up well in that area). Those will make a marked improvement in the overall package
(how much you enjoy cycling).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the replies,
>
> The 7700 comes fairly loaded up except for the brakes. I don't really need disc brakes but the
> cost difference that I could get over good v-brakes was small so I thought it would be a nice
> upgrade. The levers that come with the 7700 are XT so I'll just get some XT V-brakes. Everything
> else on the bike is XT, wonder why they skipped that on the brakes? Thanks again for the input,
>
> Scott
>
> In article <[email protected]>, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Scott: Don't think you can run a disc brake on the rear of the frame,
and
> > the hubs are definitely not disc compatible. Not sure what they'd gain
you
> > either, unless you plan to ride a lot in the rain and much; the only
real
> > advantage I see to disc brakes is that you won't grind your pads and rim sidewalls away, and
> > that's more of an issue for a mountain bike than a hybrid.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> >
> >
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Is it possible with the stock rims/hubs/forks on the 2003 model? The brakes I'm considering
> > > are the Shimano Deore BR-M515 mechanical disc setups. I can get them for a good price so I'd
> > > like to upgrade over
the
> > > stock Avid V brakes if it is possible. Thanks for any help,
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
 
A

asahitoro

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > Everything else on the bike is XT, wonder why they skipped that on the brakes? Thanks again for
> > the input,
>
> To hit a price point, and because the difference in performance between an XT and non-Shimano
> linear-pull brakes is almost nonexistent. In fact, there are more squeaking issues with XTs (and
> the other "parallel push" brakes made by Shimano) that with the more ordinary types.
>
> You can spend the money to upgrade the brakes, but you'll be primarily upgrading the name on the
> component, not the performance. Linear-pull (or "V") brakes work very well pretty much across
> the board.
>
> I'd spend the extra money on some really nice cycling shorts or shoe/pedal system (assuming you're
> not already set up well in that area). Those will make a marked improvement in the overall package
> (how much you enjoy cycling).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

Thanks Mike,

You make some excellent points and I appreciate the input.

Scott
 
Status
Not open for further replies.